Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,

Solm my clearaudio concept and today the buyer contacted me to say he can't get any sound out, nothing not even a low noise. There is no sign of any damage. He says all connections are good, but has no way to test and no alternatives to try (ie other phono or speakers)

Phonostage is a clearaudio nano, not sure what the B&O speakers are.

Anybody any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all,
Solm my clearaudio concept and today the buyer contacted me to say he can't get any sound out, nothing not even a low noise. There is no sign of any damage. He says all connections are good, but has no way to test and no alternatives to try (ie other phono or speakers)
Phonostage is a clearaudio nano, not sure what the B&O speakers are.
Anybody any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Not really enough detail to be sure of the issue, other than going on what's not mentioned.

But I'd be asking...

Is it connected correctly?

Does it feed into phono or line input on pre/amp? - no mention of amp at all..!

Exactly what are the speakers?
active - if so there's possibly a pre-amp missing,
if not there's a power amp missing too by the sound of things...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has the buyer set the jumpers correctly underneath the phono stage for MM or MC, as appropriate?  You didn't mention what cartridge was fitted, although that said even with an MC connected through an MM input I'd have expected a very low level output if the speakers (presumably powered) were cranked up, unless it was an AN Io - unlikely I assume! 

As @PeteT59 said, has the correct input been selected on the speakers? Without knowing the model of them we can't be certain what the correct connection sequence should be. 

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We definitely need further info here. The specific phono stage, any other component in chain, how connections are made and the specific B&O speakers. Without that info it's pure guesswork!

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had the same thing with a £1750 streamer... buyer was just looking for a return - which did happen I didn't resist it. Streamer worked perfectly but on return the unit had some movement in it. I felt like it had been opened. Morale of the story don't pull your hair out, you can only tell them the obvious to get it working - it may be genuine it may not... 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It’s very unlikely you’d get nothing, even if your turntable has suffered in transit. You’d get one channel, or hums and buzzes.  I suspect the buyer hasn’t got their system in good shape for using a turntable.  Photographs and details of connections might help.

If it’s any consolation, I sold my Linn Sneaky streamer to an Austrian guy. He sent a stream of angry messages saying it was a heap of crap, because he couldn’t get it working.  Fortunately, by the time I read them, he’d discovered he was using a dodgy cable, and was overjoyed and apologetic. I hope you have a happy ending too. 

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is the buyer a Wammer ? If so can he post some info ?

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks guys,

the op was all I had to go on from his message. I've asked most of those questions and for some pics, but so far not had a reply. 

The tt itself is a std Concept MC and the cart is the original factory fitted option (concept MC) cable is direct wired. I can't see transit issues causing this, which points to something further down the chain, but that will be a process of elimination which I may not be able to resolve remotely. The buey are 60 mile (farnham) so I might bite the bullet and take some of my own kit over so i can double check everything. It would be a pain but perhaps better than paying for a return and giving a refund.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is this an eBay buyer? I have a feeling it'll suddenly start working if you offer.
On the other hand, if they don't really want it they can just open a not as described claim and you have no option but to pay the postage and take it back. The perils of eBay and not doing cash on collection only..

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it was an eBay sale, they told me late last night that someone from a hifi shop came round and couldn't get it working either so they have now raised a return.

C'est la vie, I guess I'll find out when it comes back.

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes it was an eBay sale, they told me late last night that someone from a hifi shop came round and couldn't get it working either so they have now raised a return.

As per my above post... so long as you receive it back in one piece working. 

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did they tell you which hifi shop? Have you checked their other feedback? (Not that sellers can leave negative fb but they can still write the truth.)

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@alphatonerI hope this works out well for you. My experience has been bad in this position:

1. Sold amp.

2. Weeks later I get a message saying headphone jack not working and he'd opened it up to investigate. I told him "it's yours now buddy".

3. eBay ruled in his favour, I got amp back that had been opened and the jack wasn't working - he got his money and postage back.

Toss.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I was the sort of person that opened things up before returning them on eBay, I'd also be the sort of person that wouldn't admit it in a message. Although it sounds like that doesn't stop eBay accepting a return.

myles

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2008
Plymouth
AKA
Myles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I was the sort of person that opened things up before returning them on eBay, I'd also be the sort of person that wouldn't admit it in a message. Although it sounds like that doesn't stop eBay accepting a return.
No, it didn't! I was stung and the buyer - who probably didn't fancy the amp after all - got away with tinkering Scott free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online