Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2015
York
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking of wall mounting my Michelle Gyro deck turntable.

Had a look on line and most are too small, or too expensive. I also have a arcylic dust cover for it too so need to allow for this.

So was thinking of making one, I've made road trailers before so a little shelf is no problem to weld up. Was going to make it out of 30mm box section steel.

Can easily build a floating shelf design the size i want, also I want a smaller shelf underneath for the power supply.

I wanted a chunky design so was going to make it a basic square jutting out of the wall and then have upward firing spikes and then build another square box section the same size resting on the spikes (the spikes will be used to adjust the top shelf.) so in the end it will be 60mm thick plus the gap where the spikes are.

What would the best thing to cover the top shelf with? This is where the actual turntable will sit? MDF? Perspex ? Granite?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was thinking of wall mounting my Michelle Gyro deck turntable.
Had a look on line and most are too small, or too expensive. I also have a arcylic dust cover for it too so need to allow for this.
So was thinking of making one, I've made road trailers before so a little shelf is no problem to weld up. Was going to make it out of 30mm box section steel.
Can easily build a floating shelf design the size i want, also I want a smaller shelf underneath for the power supply.
I wanted a chunky design so was going to make it a basic square jutting out of the wall and then have upward firing spikes and then build another square box section the same size resting on the spikes (the spikes will be used to adjust the top shelf.) so in the end it will be 60mm thick plus the gap where the spikes are.
What would the best thing to cover the top shelf with? This is where the actual turntable will sit? MDF? Perspex ? Granite?
thanks
You seem to have though through the design in some detail, and I probably can't help with your specific question. I'm really not sure about how a steel shelf would work - I'd imagine it would be a pretty poor material to make a shelf out of as far as isolation is concerned. I'd be more tempted to go for wood if I was going to make my own.

Perhaps the shelf in the photo is one you rejected as expensive (and it is). But, without transgressing on patent rights etc, does anything in this design help e.g. With how it attaches to the wall?
41b8e726f63cfd37cc40eae1e2d6484a.jpg

• Upvote
Reactions: Dannish

Dvddvd

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2015
York
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, I saw the wire suspended type of shelves, not too keen on the style. I would prefer a more simpler design, I have a acrylic dust cover so the suspension wires would get in the way. It's still attached to the wall. I was looking at the metal famed type but making it to a size that will fit my turntable.

It would be fixed to my wall and any isolation would be by the spikes and other method as in a standard hifi rack

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, I saw the wire suspended type of shelves, not too keen on the style. I would prefer a more simpler design, I have a acrylic dust cover so the suspension wires would get in the way. It's still attached to the wall. I was looking at the metal famed type but making it to a size that will fit my turntable.
It would be fixed to my wall and any isolation would be by the spikes and other method as in a standard hifi rack
Nothing I can do about the style of course, I personally strongly prefer it to the metal shelves I saw.

My acrylic dust cover is shown in situ in the photo...

Yes, it will be attached to the wall whatever, I needed to isolate it from the floor and occasional passing lorry. If anyone finds a way of isolating a platform from both floor and walls then I'd love to hear it! (Cue ceiling mount suggestions...)

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Spikes don't isolate, they couple. The main reason for putting wooden shelves on spikes to a frame is to couple them without a rocking motion, which is hard to achieve when simply placing wood on a frame.

Walls tend not to move up and down, thank goodness, but they will have a horizontal movement of sorts. If you feel the need to decouple from a wall then something along the lines of stillpoints would be better i.e. balls in cups for want of a better simile. These couple in the vertical plane, but decouple in the horizontal.

Dvddvd

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2015
York
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies.

So if I weld together a square frame out of steel box section with supports and secure it to the wall.

Then fix four spikes pointing upwards to it. What is good for a shelf?

I know it's a subject for personal preference:

I found a place that will cut me a solid Maple 38mm worktop to size, it seems some people swear by Maple?

But then I read that a piece of 20mm Perspex is best? Then read that a sandwich of 12mm Baltic plywood-3mm neoprene-12mm Perspex is the way to go?

Its for a Michell gyro so not sure if that makes a difference ?

Alvolake

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2006
Canaries, , Spain
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Copy the Mana wall shelf. it really works, with a Linn at least. Not the best looker in the world. a mate made one starting from 2 rather robust. Angle brackets and welded cross members tO stop the glass from slipping, drilled and tapped 4 holes in the brackets themselves. to accept upward facing spikes and some  bog-standard 10mm float glass for the shelf. Level the deck using 3 spikes and then  "tune" the fourth spike and excellent results. 

stephen_collins

New Wammer
Jul 14, 2017
Hi All,

For what it's worth I recently built a turntable shelf, the goals being to a) get very good sonic isolation from the environment, and b) to be able to get very accurate leveling.  The result is as per these pictures, with two shelves, the bottom securely mounted to the wall, and the top sitting on top with the screws minimizing isolation and adjusted for leveling.  It made a dramatic difference to the sound quality of my (modest) Linn turntable.  Happy to answer any questions about it.

Turntable1.jpg

Turntable2.jpg

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi All,
For what it's worth I recently built a turntable shelf, the goals being to a) get very good sonic isolation from the environment, and b) to be able to get very accurate leveling.  The result is as per these pictures, with two shelves, the bottom securely mounted to the wall, and the top sitting on top with the screws minimizing isolation and adjusted for leveling.  It made a dramatic difference to the sound quality of my (modest) Linn turntable.  Happy to answer any questions about it.
BCEDA006-C933-484C-BBC4-F7E9ABF1F277.jpeg
cover.jpg
That looks very smart indeed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online