UK HipHop

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Okay, I was bored recently and started downloading some UK HipHop.

I used to just see it as chav shouting with annoying London accents.

However, I thoroughly enjoyed Dizzee Rascals, "Boy In Da Corner". It has a consistency throughout, like a proper album, and is generally great.

The other stuff I've tried is a bit 'shouty', with lots of filler tracks.

Any recommendations??

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
paulfromcamden wrote:

I guess Dizzee (and maybe some of the shouty stuff you're talking about?) is more grime/dubstep than hip-hop.... maybe.UK hip-hop's not really my thing but you might want to take a look at the Grand Central back catalogue.

http://www.discogs.com/label/Grand+Central+Records
Correct, I was generalising a bit with "hiphop" for forum ease.

The chavs I've downloaded include; Lethal Bizzle, Kano, and Dizzee.

I guess artists suchs as Blak Twang and Roots Manuvere are more serious

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
UK hip hop is, in general, terrible
happens.gif.785a5c135e9ec27adf265d18872281b7.gif
:td:

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Biscuit wrote:

UK hip hop is, in general, terrible
:td:
That's what I felt for years... but this Dizzee album is seriously good - I've not listened to anything else in ages. It's given me faith, and I'm trying to find something else that is good. I like the occasional single too, like Mitchell Bros, Routine Check, but again, the album is pap.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
thommo wrote:

I've got a really good version of Miss Dy-na-mi-tee by the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain.Completely bonkers, but in a good way.
Brilliant track that , it's on Tom Middleton presents Cosmosonica album , along with ashit load of otherdaft covers and some not so daft.
smile.png

chezi.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i don't have much at all, but albums by Roots Manuva and Upwards by Ty are both worth checking.

The2005 Roots Manuva album Awfully Deep is a good example of his stuff. excellent, tripped out hiphop sounds and great rhymes. Him and Ty both have something of consequence to say, which is what i always thought rap/hip hop was about.

i think (don't actually know)there is a bustling scene but it just doesn't get any publicity unless it is very fresh and different (like dizee rascal at the time). there is probably a ton of good stuff out there, but you just need to know where to go. instead we get bombarded with the misogynistic, violent, shallow and materialistic toss from the US. Although i loved that Ugly track from a few years ago, and have enjoyed Kanye West's latest.

harv

Hard working slacker
Wammer Plus
Jan 5, 2006
deepest S.London, ,
AKA
erm... guess
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like some uk hip hop, I think Lewis Parker is excellent nice flowing lyrics and simple elegant beats, Task Force I think are brilliant to some of their lyrics are ace especially I Wish off New Mic Order. The rest have an occasional good track but much dross.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Biscuit wrote:

Anthony wrote:
we get bombarded with the misogynistic, violent, shallow and materialistic toss from the US
but thats what hip hop has always been about
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

modern rap/hip hop is shite, but not because of those things ^^
prototype rap was probably gil scott heron. lots have followed in his original footsteps, but lots didn't. you could never argue that any of the four adjectives above could be applied to him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.