nashb

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Dreamland
AKA
Nash
Hello clever people

I need some help on choosing a pre/power combo that is currently available 2nd hand and going soon
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif

I own a Primare d30.2 cdp and a pair of Paradigm Refs Series 6s
tongue.png

My available amps are:

Electrocompaneit

Primare

AVI

Advantage

All cost around £2000

My music tastes include RnB, Classical and House :bounce:

Which one can I choose, no demo possible

Thanks in advance

Nash

E

Effem

nashb wrote:

Hello clever people I need some help on choosing a pre/power combo that is currently available 2nd hand and going soon
38786-6.gif.132cf51c49b8cd26f08985f56fa67647.gif

I own a Primare d30.2 cdp and a pair of Paradigm Refs Series 6s
tongue.png

My available amps are:

Electrocompaneit

Primare

AVI

Advantage

All cost around £2000

My music tastes include RnB, Classical and House :bounce:

Which one can I choose, no demo possible

Thanks in advance

Nash
You really have got a "problem" now as they are all terrific amps in your list. My own choice would be either the Electro or the Primare. That's not to say the Advantage or the AVI are any the less good though

nashb

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Dreamland
AKA
Nash
Thanks for the reply.

Do u have any reasons for choosing the Electro n Primare-it would really help me decide.

Thanks.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My available amps are:

Electrocompaneit

Primare

AVI

Advantage

My music tastes include RnB, Classical and House
Well here's my biases and prejudices about these makes:

Advantage - dunno - never heard them

Primare - tending to the exciting, powerful, not exactly relaxing

AVI - a bit bland and basically boring

Electrocompaniet - on the warm side, but nicely "musical", just a little smoothed over

Of the 3 brands whose "house sound" Ihave some familiarity with- If you're a detail freak, I'd say go for the Primare, if you want something more relaxing go for the Electro.

If your sailing dinghy needs an anchor, the AVI will do fine. :dude:

Dunno about the Advantage.

Howzat?

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
JANDL100 wrote:

Every bit of Primare amplification I have heard sounds pretty relaxing to me, a hint of valves from SS IMHO Jandl.

Anyway £2000 should also get you a slice of Unico DM kit from www.ukd.co.ukalways thought that kit is interesting, Copland CTA305/CPA520 is also doing for £2000 (as good as I have heard a pre-power combo FWIW)

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

Every bit of Primare amplification I have heard sounds pretty relaxing to me, a hint of valves from SS IMHO Jandl.
Well, we almost agree - IME a decent valve amp is "exciting, powerful, not exactly relaxing"

... or should I say W,WAA-IMEADVAI"EPNER"

A

Alex A

Are you restricted to that list?

There is some superb kit from Densen and, dare I say it, Musical Fidelity (2nd hand Nu-Vista) that will likely 'better' that lot. Especially the Densen on the House music!

Edit: I haven't heard any of your kit so that comment is purely abstract, and not made with experience of wny kind of synergy. Someone who knows your kit and all the amps, and has a similar taste is your best bet. Any takers?

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Would you consider valve amps? - for £2k you can get some seriously good tubes - e.g. Icon or some of the Chinese amps that, for ex, Shadow Audio bring in.

If you've not tried valves, good'uns IMO have more vitality and "pizzaz" than ss. Better Jump Factor as it were. Just IMO of course. But I've had many examples of both.

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
R&B and House on a valve amp? I'm in the sceptic ranks here, maybe with a sub, and I love my valve amp, just don't think that type of music is it's forte.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tel wrote:

R&B and House on a valve amp? I'm in the sceptic ranks here, maybe with a sub, and I love my valve amp, just don't think that type of music is it's forte.
Hmmm - yeah - you might be right. But an Art Audio Quintet tube jobbie I had a while back had some serious boogie-factor.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Tel wrote:

It is possible with the right valve amp. Im no expert in that field of music, but Anthony bought some very interesting electronic tunes with him when he came over to my place recently. They sounded good to my ears with some superb deep bass, and I know Anthony is happy with his Prima Luna. Hopefully he will be along soon and can add his 2p.

They key with Valve amps is to make sure you get a sympathetic speaker match. Alas I dont know nashb's speakers so ill let someone else comment on that front, but I can say Ive heard several valve amps that can rock and shake the room.

Hawk

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
cjr wrote:

JANDL100 wrote:

Anyway £2000 should also get you a slice of Unico DM kit from http://www.ukd.co.ukalways thought that kit is interesting, Copland CTA305/CPA520 is also doing for £2000 (as good as I have heard a pre-power combo FWIW)
Absolutely Colin,

Having owned one myself and knowing you own one i think our views should be the ones heeded here.

Relaxing it definately does.

Smooth and creamy sound.

God knows what system this chap was using.
smile.png

Curt

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hawk wrote:

Tel wrote:
It is possible with the right valve amp. Im no expert in that field of music, but Anthony bought some very interesting electronic tunes with him when he came over to my place recently. They sounded good to my ears with some superb deep bass, and I know Anthony is happy with his Prima Luna. Hopefully he will be along soon and can add his 2p.

They key with Valve amps is to make sure you get a sympathetic speaker match. Alas I dont know nashb's speakers so ill let someone else comment on that front, but I can say Ive heard several valve amps that can rock and shake the room.

Hawk
in my rather limited experience to date Iwould say that with a valve amp you don't get the same 'thwack' on the leading edge of beats that you can get with SS or digital amps, but you still get tight rhythms and boogie on house/dance etc and plenty of bass for sure (again probably dependent on speaker and which amp you use). i'm sure sympathetic speakers and quality output transformers help considerably.

I own afair amountof electronic music and enjoy it a lot through my valve amp, although there is no comparison with Hawk's setup which is just lovely.

House/dance not avalve amp's forte? Perhaps,but that's because on different music e.g. acoustic, classical, jazz etc. valve amps can be exceptional, whereas on rock and dance they can be just 'very good'. by those criteria then yes, rock/dance aren't their forte, but they still soundpretty good to my ears.

nashb - if you're interested and able then trying out something valvey for £2k may turn up some very nice kit. sorry I can't help more with the four amp makes you've listed here. good luck with choosing something
smile.png
, but I don't envy you the decision if you can't demo first.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
curtis wrote:

Re: Primare amp
Having owned one myself and knowing you own one i think our views should be the ones heeded here.Relaxing it definately does.

Smooth and creamy sound.

God knows what system this chap was using.
smile.png
It's OK - no need to ask God. I'm happy to oblige ...

I was using Avantgarde Unos - very sensitive (100+dB/W) with 200wpc active 2x10 inch per side woofers - I guess they tend to bring the excitement out in most amps!!
biggrin.png

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
JANDL100 wrote:

I guess they tend to bring the excitement out in most amps!!
biggrin.png
They must do matey:)

The primare amps are very smooth sounding and if anything lack top end excirement.

Good alrounders and suit all types of music.

Cant suggest anything to the poster as im not aware of his speakers.

Curt

nashb

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Dreamland
AKA
Nash
If it helps u guys, I was also considering changing my speakers at some stage
biggrin.png

Maybe going for ProAC, Dynaudience or PMCs

Does that help in choosing the amps?

Nash.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nashb wrote:

WOW!!!Thanks for all those replies.

Now I am TOTALLY CONFUSED
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
:cs:
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
Mission accomplished by the HiFi Wigwam Hit Squad. Well done chaps
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

seriously though, hope youchoose something you like. will they offer to swap it againif it isn't what you're looking for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online