Linn Owners

Used Ittok on ebay - looks like its heading north of $1000!

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe it is rising so high because it was Made in Scotland, at least according to the description.  Since Ittok LVIIs were made in Japan, this would make it quite rare.
Hmm. It’s more likely to be an assumption by the seller, who doesn’t appear to be a Linn Dealer. The arm clearly shows “Designed by” and not “Manufactured by” If it were to be the case, as in the LV III, I would have expected them to have really promoted this aspect and shown some evidence.

’troll

Last edited by a moderator:

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, Gene Rubin was one of the biggest Linn/Naim dealers in Southern California in the 1980s (I got my first LP12/LVII/Asak from him).  He has probably forgotten that early Linn arms were made in Japan.  Or maybe he's just invoking a little "poetic license"!

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And probably infringing eBay T&Cs in the process...

’troll

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yes, it's true Gene was a quite big Linn dealer back then and really should know better.  Also all you have to do is look at the back of the arm collar where "Made In Japan" is clearly printed to know the truth.  Unfortunately a photo from that angle was not included in the listing.  I'm guessing it is more likely a memory lapse than anything more sinister.

Guzziboy

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 25, 2018
Leeds
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And it's just a common or garden silver one. How much would a black one fetch?

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And it's just a common or garden silver one. How much would a black one fetch?
Looking at UK eBay earlier the black seem to fetch about 20% more, though the last one was in great condition and boxed.  (I actually prefer the original silver and black)

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it's true Gene was a quite big Linn dealer back then and really should know better.  Also all you have to do is look at the back of the arm collar where "Made In Japan" is clearly printed to know the truth.  Unfortunately a photo from that angle was not included in the listing.  I'm guessing it is more likely a memory lapse than anything more sinister.
I know Gene very well, he is absolutely NOT the kind of guy to try anything sinister with his sales! It is certainly a lapse in memory. OTOH, is it possible that this arm is made in Scotland?? I will ask him and get back with his reply.

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gene replied to me and stated this after I stated to him that I was under the impression that all Ittoks are made in Japan: 

New message from: generubinaudio.com (6,582)

You are correct, it is made in Japan. Now that there are bids on it, I can not change the text.
Thank you, I am always available at 
www.generubinaudio.com

I'm sure Gene will be doing the right thing if the buyer is disappointed that it is not made in Scotland...

Reactions: Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Daveyf, thank you for clarifying that with Gene. I wasn’t suggesting it had been deliberate. 

‘troll

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm sure Gene will be doing the right thing if the buyer is disappointed that it is not made in Scotland...
I’m sure you’re right.  I thought it was possible to add extra info to the description as I see that quite often. Folks add things like “I’ve now found the box” or “the remote control is missing”.

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m sure you’re right.  I thought it was possible to add extra info to the description as I see that quite often. Folks add things like “I’ve now found the box” or “the remote control is missing”.
Restrictions start on changing/adding to the listings (1) when a bid has been made. and/or (2) Within a specific time period of the end time of the auction. The exact details will be in EBAYS's T+C's, but finding the exact details, that is often easier said than done.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Knowing Gene was an up and up guy I had already sent him a note on the error.  I received much the same reply except with an Oops as I believe I was the first to point it out.
It's nice to give people the benefit of the doubt. I've found that in all matters, nine times out of ten, it is a simple misunderstanding.

• Upvote
Reactions: Daveyf and Nopiano

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right now I am dealing with several folks in this hobby that are anything but scrupulous. I have to take very severe precautions to make sure that I am not totally 'screwed'. This is extremely unfortunate. My friendship and business goes back decades with Gene Rubin, all i can say is that I totally wish there were more folks in this industry like him, than like the ones who seem most prevalent these days...requiring what I stated above! It would make it so much easier and pleasant to be in this hobby. Just IMHO.

• Upvote
Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

Daveyf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 12, 2018
San Diego
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Caveat Emptor should, at least IMHO, NOT be a required factor when one is a legit consumer of anything....particularly in the high end audio market! The fact that it is, says a lot.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't forget Italian (but, for some unknown reason, I could never get past the first class in German)!

Reactions: akamatsu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles