Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’m reading mixed comments about the above so I thought I’d ask for clarification.
The hybrid amp has been used now in the UK for many years but I wondered if it could be having a detrimental effect on the amp or the tubes .
The manufacturer does/did make a 240v version.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Definitely not ideal but difficult to answer your question without knowing the circuit.
Small signal tubes should be fine and should work at different working point ,possibly would distort bit earlier than designed.
Output stage , I guess some sort of mosfet AB class should be fine at normal listening volumes .
Biggest problem would be PSU if smoothing caps weren’t over specd also small tubes heaters would age quicker at higher voltage and tubes would have shorter lifespan
All above is just a guess work at best am afraid , circuit diagram would help if you have one

Reactions: andyrlb

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A bucking transformer wouldn't cost much and would resolve any issue and worry. Clearly the manufacturer thought a different trafo was required.

I have a 220V Chinese amp that runs the smoothing caps hard on their specified voltage. The chap I got it off had used it for a couple of years off the mains without issues, but I just saw an accident waiting to happen. Even at 220 V the caps remain marginal: one duff output tube and the voltage would become excessive.

Reactions: andyrlb

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Italian electrics? In that case, yes, get a proper step-down for it as a matter of urgency! ;)

In all seriousness, if it has been properly tested to CE regulations then it should be fine, however running the valves at the correct, lower voltage should make them last longer.
Thanks Adam

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FWIW I had a chinese-built guitar practice amp which lunched its EL84 within months. Mr FixElectronics sorted it, and told me he'd moved the mains i/p from the 230V tap on the transformer to the 240V tap. This reduced the anode voltage on the EL84 to within spec, and prevents the cathode material from being splatted all over the anode. That was 14 years ago, and the same o/p valve has lasted me ever since

EDITS

1. The product was a Harley-Benton GA5. It is an Epiphone Valve Junior knockoff, with a "tone control" in a -ve feedback loop.
2. The valve complement is 1x ECC83 and 1x EL84

Last edited:

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
FWIW I had a chinese-built guitar practice amp which lunched its EL84 within months. Mr FixElectronics sorted it, and told me he'd moved the mains i/p from the 230V tap on the transformer to the 240V tap. This reduced the anode voltage on the EL84 to within spec, and prevents the cathode material from being splatted all over the anode. That was 14 years ago, and the same o/p valve has lasted me ever since

EDITS

1. The product was a Harley-Benton GA5. It is an Epiphone Valve Junior knockoff, with a "tone control" in a -ve feedback loop.
2. The valve complement is 1x ECC83 and 1x EL84
I will check if the amps transformer has a 240v tap which I would imagine it would being as the amps are sold worldwide ( Pathos )

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As an alternative and that could used with other things would not a Variac be okay for this ?

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As an alternative and that could used with other things would not a Variac be okay for this ?
As @awkwardbydesign said, it would work, but
  • it has to be able to deliver the current
  • variacs usually have a continuously variable control over the o/p voltage. You'd have to mark the scale so you could set it to exactly what you set it to last time.

andyrlb

Must have shot a Robin
Wammer
Apr 24, 2016
New York
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I reckon a bucking transformer is the best option IF the amp doesn’t have 240v taps on its huge transformers .

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As @awkwardbydesign said, it would work, but
  • it has to be able to deliver the current
  • variacs usually have a continuously variable control over the o/p voltage. You'd have to mark the scale so you could set it to exactly what you set it to last time.
I have added cheap digital voltmeters to mine.
An added advantage of bucking transformers is that they only have to be current rated for the voltage dropped. So if you drop 20V, for a 300VA amp transformer, that is only about 25VA. I generally double it, so if I have a 50VA one I will use that.
But make sure (test it!) that it is wired the right way round, or you will buck the voltage up by 20V!

Reactions: audio_PHIL_e

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles