Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just starting to settle in to our new home (Victorian Terrace)and trying to work out where the best position will be. I have a feelingthe neighbour will hear a lot from the rear ported Revels being positioned close to the party wall (between the fire place). The small bay window may be better suited (originally reserved fora sofa),but with a radiator under the window ,means the equipment will have to find a home somewhere else.

Anybody in a similar situation?

Anyadvice / recommendations is appreciated

Cheers

Testy

mhuk

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 9, 2006
Worcester
AKA
Mark
Mine are in my bay window and they sound fine (but mine are front ported); I'd prefer them either side of the fireplace but there's a sofa in the way
wink.png

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mine are either side of the fireplace, I wouldnt have them on the party wall as the walls are way to thin here, I can hear what next door are wathcing on TV :shock:not all they've cracked up to be these old houses
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Matt J wrote:

mine are either side of the fireplace, I wouldnt have them on the party wall as the walls are way to thin here, I can hear what next door are wathcing on TV :shock:not all they've cracked up to be these old houses
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
Funny enough the lady next door mentioned that she could hear the previous owners tv from time to time. Don't think she would enjoy industrial
wink.png

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
SSM wrote:

Your musical tastes and new digs don't match.
biggrin.png
Mmm wonderwhat theEstate agents refund policy. Damn should have kept the receipt:p

Ohh and the pumpkin room could be back but in variation theme 234/a/3b
wink.png

Testy

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I think the real problem is I've been waiting to use these again for years, but have a feeling they still be over powering ineither position..

No harm in trying though
biggrin.png

F30-main.jpg

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Testure wrote:

Ohh and the pumpkin room could be back but in variation theme 234/a/3b
wink.png
Dat's seriously psychedelic.:shocked: Wonder what you will see if you spin yourself around the room?
tongue.png

stickman

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2006
Manchester
AKA
Phil
Either side of the chimney breast, against the wall, but they do have acoustic foam and heavy curtains behind them.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
icehockeyboy wrote:

Frontfloater has a similar dwelling, and he has his Sonus Fabers in the bay, and boy do they sound good!
I bought a pair of MF amps from someone local to mewho had a pair of Fabers at the bay-window end of a Victorian terrace and they sounded superb (If that's you, many thanks - an excellent deal). Probably the best bet, as it means they're likely to have more breathing spacebehind and in front.

Sensible suggestion is to try both ways and see what works best. I'm stuck with the 'either side of the fireplace' situation becausethe room layout means the alternative is nailing up the door and getting in and out via the window. Works fine when the neighbours are out, less so when they moan about Santana knocking the china off the shelves again...

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
rabski wrote:

icehockeyboy wrote:
Frontfloater has a similar dwelling, and he has his Sonus Fabers in the bay, and boy do they sound good!
I bought a pair of MF amps from someone local to mewho had a pair of Fabers at the bay-window end of a Victorian terrace and they sounded superb (If that's you, many thanks - an excellent deal). Probably the best bet, as it means they're likely to have more breathing spacebehind and in front.

Sensible suggestion is to try both ways and see what works best. I'm stuck with the 'either side of the fireplace' situation becausethe room layout means the alternative is nailing up the door and getting in and out via the window. Works fine when the neighbours are out, less so when they moan about Santana knocking the china off the shelves again...
If youre in Nottingham, West Bridgford to be exact, it could be him.

Testure

Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks guys
smile.png

Think I'll try the Bay window first. Any way I'm getting hints that some nice built in shelves/cupboardwill look nice nextto the fire place.
wink.png

Cheers

Testy

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
To be honest I suspect your neighbour will hear them no matter where they are placed so I would go with what sounds best as the first priority. Once your happy with where they are, you can then think about steps to reduce impact on the neighbours like stickman has done.

In my home the LVs sounded much better either side of the fireplace than the bay, but I suspect that there were other things apart from the bay that played part in the differences so you'll still need to suck it and see.

Cheers

Hawk

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The sound output from the port is low and is also low so I somehow feel that if you get them loud enough for that to be a problem your neighbours will be hearing all the sound output that is pumping out the front.

My recommendation is to set them up in the ideal position for you ignoring the partition and have a friendly word with your neighbour. Get him listening next door and turn the volume up until he says wey hey that is annoying. Then move them to the bay and do the same exercise.

From the above you can hopefully achieve the following;

1. SHow your neighbour you are a caring individual that does not want to spoil his living space through intrusive noise throught the wall.

2. Explain that should the level get to annoyance that he should please give you a quick telephone call or txt saying please turn it down.

3. You will find the area where it sounds good and you can get the maximum levels you require without annoying the neighbour.

4. If following the above your neighbours should subsequently start a family do the same exercise because their views on what is acceptable change (well they did with my neighbours years ago).

In addition to the above hang tapestries or rugs or curtains on the partition wall behind the loudspeakers covering as much of the wall as possible as this will damp the noise levels to next door.

You might like to consult with local builders to see if you can install a false wall to sound proof.

If all that fails then buy a pair of Jecklin Floats electrostic headphones.

Have fun

Uzzy

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
have been in a similar pos. and much preffered the speaks across the room, not in the bay. I doubt if your neihbour will notice fine differences if she heard the last lots telly tho!

Soundproofing (false wall with battened insulation) might be a serious way forward if you can lose 6" off the width of the room and not notice.

I'd stick it anywhere, turn it up to just too quiet for your taste and then go round and knock and ask if it's disturbing her...if yes...insulate!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.