Vinyl to computa....how?

M

MallyMad

The boss just asked me how to do this. He had one of those record players with a usb but said it was awful. Made a terrible scratch and hiss all the time. His setup is just a wee mini thing that he hates and any solution MUST be low tech.

Any ideas?

M

MallyMad

Hmmm...that vinylstudio looks like it might do the biz. Betcha it's too complicated and too much hassle for him though!!

Thanks for for that and I will keep you posted about what he says!!

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm...that vinylstudio looks like it might do the biz. Betcha it's too complicated and too much hassle for him though!! Thanks for for that and I will keep you posted about what he says!!
Buy CDs or download tracks
:goodone: Agreed Kevin,

Much as I'm a fan of doing this & as impressive as the results can be. The time effort & cost involved re eqpmt, getting familiar with S/W, then learning to get the best out of it are not to be sneezed at.

To do well you would prolly be looking at £150 for s/hand deck + half decent cart at least. A decent interface would be summat like the Behringer @ below £30 as a minimum, or the one I linked to in this post is around £70. http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?85824-Vinyl-and-T-T-quandry&p=1550931&viewfull=1#post1550931. A Cakewalk UA-1G would get my vote over the Behringer, due to better flexibility/connectivity & you may find one for £50 or less s/hand. That would still leave a phono stage @ up to £70/£80 s/hand for owt half decent.

Depends whether this is a largish collection, rarity of albums & whether he's prepared for this to be a labour of love/long term hobby project. :? + CONDITION ,CONDITION, CONDITION, being an all important factor.

Kevins comment seems most apposite to me. Particularly bearing in mind the quality of Mallymads boss's current TT set up. Pretty much anything would sound better by the sounds of it. Also if this guys records have been played heavily on eqpmt of this sorta poor quality, then groove damage may be a possibility I'd have thought. If this is the case better quality eqpmt may be of little help TBPH

I can see that re-buying in other formats could be a bitter pill to swallow, but it could be fairly cost effective to do so. If he goes through his collection he may find that there is little not readily available as ceedee's which could be ripped in whatever quality he prefers. I'd also be wanting to have a listen to some of his LP's on better eqpmt first to gauge whether this was worth pursuing as a project. Mebbe another local mate with a decent TT could help with this.

This recent thread may help with better understanding of some of the potential pitfalls/joys of pursuing this. http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?92854-Noise-recording-with-Rega-Fono-Mini-Help-please!&p=1687431#post1687431

M

MallyMad

Thanks for the replies. He did have a better system but his mrs hated it so it had to go. He said the records sounded better on other players so I think they must be alright. I can see this being a major problem.

looks to me like he would have to buy another record deck,hook it up to the sonneteer,connect it to an amp then hitch it all to his computa. As for local,he's proper in the sticks!!

I don't think his mrs would allow all the boxes but the vinyl quality seems ok - red presses of Michael Jackson stuff and war of the worlds were two he told me about.

I take it there's not a better record player with usb out he could try is there?

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Project used to do a TT with built in phono stage & USB output. http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut_usb.htm

See here>> .http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Ject-Debut-Phono-Mkiii-Turntable/dp/B001MFLAW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382283724&sr=8-4&keywords=Project+debut+USB.

I dare say one of these could be found S/hand & would deffo offer better quality than his current solution. They seem to be about £290 new but the DNA looks good, based around a decent TT with their basic level USB phono box + TT speed box + nice enough starter cart, an Ortofon OM5E MM. htthttp://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut_usb.htm p://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut_usb.htmr E MM Supplied Orto5E MM Supplied

M

MallyMad

Cheers vac dac! That would then be tt > amp > computa via usb - is that right?

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep and I think Rega do a nice one for little money.
Read this thread....it seems that some people are having recording issues when outputting via USB into a computer using the Rega i-fono mini phono stage. http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?92854-Noise-recording-with-Rega-Fono-Mini-Help-please!&p=1687431#post1687431.

EDIT

Cheers vac dac! That would then be tt > amp > computa via usb - is that right?
Yup all that is needed for playback into his existing system, presuming he has a spare line level input??? As it has a USB output on the Projects onboard phono stage that covers his recording needs too. The built in stage has phono RCA outs for feeding into a line input on an amp or mini system:cool: It's really not a bad little deck in its own right & would easily be worth spending more on a better cart at some point.

M

MallyMad

I'm not banking on him having a line in and to save him accumulating boxes I've offered him a borrow of an amp if reqd.

So for recording it's just tt > computer via usb? Playback tt > amp > speakers.

Sorry about the stupid questions but I'm stupid and I know nothing about tts. I'm just trying to help the guy. :roll:

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not banking on him having a line in and to save him accumulating boxes I've offered him a borrow of an amp if reqd. So for recording it's just tt > computer via usb? Playback tt > amp > speakers.

Sorry about the stupid questions but I'm stupid and I know nothing about tts. I'm just trying to help the guy. :roll:
Yup you have fully understood Chris. :^ A fair amount of micro/mini all in ones will have a spare line input or two. As you've guessed no guarantees there tho' . Ask if he/his missus can take a shot of the back panel of his system & phono sockets would be a giveaway. Or if its a recent model have a squiz at any online manuals available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.