Wammers Album Club, Tues 4th Feb: Killing Joke - Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Killing Joke – Brighter Than A Thousand Suns (1986)

Grooveshark_1986

http://www.napster.co.uk/artist/killing-joke/album/brighter-than-a-thousand-suns/1986 original'>Napster_1986

Spotify_2007

Deezer_2007

1986: Original version

2007: Restored version

(See later note)

Buy_On_Amazon

WACKJ1_cover_zpsea65d703.jpg

Starting from their post-punk roots, before moving into new wave, and then industrial/tribal metal, Killing Joke are still going strong and are now up to 14 studio albums. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns was their 6th album, as they were going through their new wave phase in the mid 80s; their original sound had been toned down at this point, a bit less savagery and a tad more melody, and Jaz Coleman was trying to sing rather than growl. However those big never-ending trademark guitar riffs are still present in abundance, and there’s no-one to touch them where these are concerned.

Note that there are two different versions floating around on the various streaming sources. The album was originally mixed by producer Chris Kimsey, however the label wanted something a bit more commercial and got Julian Mendolsohn in to remix it emphasizing the synths together with a bigger anthemic feel (1986: Original Version). When the time came for a remaster in 2007, the band decided to use the first mix as a starting point. The sound is a bit more stripped back with the keyboards taking a back seat (2007: Restored Version).

WACKJ2_band_zps755aeddf.jpg

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Massively into their early phase and at the time IMO one of the best live bands around. I'd Lost interest by this time so have never heard this. Interesting choice. :^

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been meaning to start a Killing Joke collection this might be the place to start.

D

Dayvan cowboy

Know this album very well actually bought on its release , very 80s production on it , we'll the original release anyway . Of course produced by chris kimsey of marillion duties . Fire dances and revelations were my first introduction but this and nighttime are completely different beasts , tamed are the snarling guitars and chaotic drumming along will jaz s maniacal vocals , for a more considered chart friendly approach . Some quality tunes on here . And I'm looking forward to a trip back in time ...

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Looking forward to this, I remember there hit single Love Like Blood and another tune that was better but didn't get much airplay, Millennium.

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
Big KJ fan here.

Have always liked Geordie Walker's guitar tone.

I've got this pigeonholed as one of their 80's synth albums and (to my mind) just about the time my interest waned.

Looking forward to revisiting this for a fresh appraisal.

Bluemessiah

Not now
Wammer
Jun 21, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I loved the vicious wall of sound of 'What's this for' and 'Revelations' but have never heard this. Isn't this when they had more of a stab at being a pop band? I'll be interested to find out.

D

Dayvan cowboy

Yep ...

I loved the vicious wall of sound of 'What's this for' and 'Revelations' but have never heard this. Isn't this when they had more of a stab at being a pop band? I'll be interested to find out.

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've never heard this before. Will give it a go. It'll be interesting to see which version people prefer.

All this era of music completely passed me by. I was heavily into Blues in the 80s and therefore more likely to be searching for Charley Patton records from the late 1920s when the Killing Joke came out. :)

G

Looking forward to this, I remember there hit single Love Like Blood and another tune that was better but didn't get much airplay, Millennium.
That was one hell of a choon, will have to dig out the 12 inch single

[video=youtube;6NPSNFsZWzs]

so this album willl be interesting.

Leonard Smalls

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Shropshire Borders,
This is like Killing Joke-Lite!

It could have been done by a host of 80s bands - in fact the Mighty Flock Of Seagulls might have done it better! Moments even sound like bleedin' Aha!

Still, despite being a touch 80s-wet it's got the usual excellent guitars (though heavily moistened by the all-pervasive synth-wash) and interesting chord structures I've always expected of KJ. But Jaz sounds like he's on Mogadon.

If they'd ditched the annoying synths altogether and kicked Jaz up the arse a bit, some of this could have been cracking; Victory has an awesome groove desperately trying to get out, in fact most of the tracks after this almost approach the heights of "Wardance".

However, immho, even Wardance is nowhere near as good as the stuff they did before Youth left...

[video=youtube;sk0TsOwIceI]

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Wardance is nowhere near as good as the stuff they did before Youth left...
Youth was still in KJ at the time of Wardance. :geek:

Here...

[video=youtube_share;H6uGSAczDHI]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles