Wammer's Album Club Tues. Nov. 5 - Zappa/Beefheart/Mothers

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
I actually like it when Zappa shuts up and plays his guitar. The most underrated (in the public mind) player I can think of, blows Hendrix to smithereens ( :shock: Yes).

The funky, fusiony Carolina Hard-Core Ecstasy and Advance Romance are the standouts for me. George Duke's super heavy keyboards and Denny Walley's slide guitar on both are just :love:

As for Captain Beefheart's beatnik poetry outburts, I like 'em. Man With the Woman Head is brilliant and oddly "beautiful".

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
sat here listening with a smile on my face surely that's what music is all about Advance Romance is the stand out track tho good choice

M

MJ.

sat here listening with a smile on my face surely that's what music is all about Advance Romance is the stand out track tho good choice
Exactly what I'm doing. Advance Romance is awesome played LOUD.

Im really enjoying this Prof, can you recommend anything in a similar vein ?

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
Exactly what I'm doing. Advance Romance is awesome played LOUD.Im really enjoying this Prof, can you recommend anything in a similar vein ?
Apostrophe('), and Roxy & Elsewhere are from the same time period, feature many of the same musicians, and are both good fun:^

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Jesus wept. I'm also a Zappa novice: this was my first listen to FZ and will be my last.

There was some truly great music in the late '60s. There was some truly great music in the late '70s. If you need an example of the sucking void of vapid mediocrity that was 1970 -1976, this will do. :sick:

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Listen to watermelon in easter hay and then try some more difficult stuff. I'll never be a massive fan but there is great music to be found.

cobbler

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 19, 2009
Northants
AKA
Pete
This was my first listen to Zappa or Captain Beefhart. Mixed bag for me, the band sounded great when playing it straight but I struggled with the speaking and the silly voices. Stand out track for me was Carolina Hard Core Ecstasy.

• Upvote
Reactions: Professor Chaos
M

MJ.

Apostrophe('), and Roxy & Elsewhere are from the same time period, feature many of the same musicians, and are both good fun:^
Thanks Prof; I'll give them a spin.

Bluemessiah

Not now
Wammer
Jun 21, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll throw 'Overnite Sensation' in as a musically brilliant and accessable listen for Zappa beginners. Anything from the early eighties onwards is pretty much unlistenable. (Synclavier anyone?)

G

Jesus wept. I'm also a Zappa novice: this was my first listen to FZ and will be my last.There was some truly great music in the late '60s. There was some truly great music in the late '70s. If you need an example of the sucking void of vapid mediocrity that was 1970 -1976, this will do. :sick:
Ziggy Stardust

Roxy Music 1st

Led Zep 4

Floyd WYWH

Stones Exile

Stooges Raw Power

Marley Catch a Fire

Here ends my case for the defence M'Lud.

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm kinda digging some of this but I think Beefheart's a bit of a tool and Zappa goes off on one way too much. As a straight guitarist Zappa was killer though.

• Upvote

Hayward

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 29, 2011
Enjoying this and now realise that I know large chunks of it. A friend gave me a Zappa mix tape in the mid eighties which I subsequently took on a holiday to the states and played every day, so I have fond feelings...

Carolina Hardcore Ecstacy is my favourite and pretty much encapsulates all that is Zappa in one track. The fantastic melody, the lyric about someone with an odd sexual preference, partly sung in a multi part harmony and with sometimes silly voices. The awesome guitar playing...

Separating the wheat from the chaff is IMO impossible with Zappa as he can be amazing and bloody infuriating in one song, or in one gig! The friend who made me the mix tape got me a ticket to go and see Zappa and by that time he was playing guitar very little and mostly conducting the band (which are mostly featured on this - sub Bozzio for Wackerman) and chain smoking. He did pick up the guitar for Zoot Allures which was really special but after spending money on the ticket and travelling to Brighton from London I left feeling somewhat short changed.

• Upvote

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the jazz rock albums; Hot Rats is a long time fave, Jean Luc Ponty's King Kong (partially written by Zappa and full of assorted Mothers) is a cracking album and I am persevering with Waka Jawaka, but despite a concerted effort earlier in the year I haven't got very far with anything else. Clearly what I was missing was the added ingredient of a second dominant character in the mix. The sparks and ideas flying between the Captain and Zappa make this an excellent album and I enjoyed it a lot. From the awesome guitar of Advance Romance and Muffin Man to the excoriating lyrics of Poofter's Froth... there was never a dull moment.

A challenging WAC entry which has already produced lots of interesting discussion and it's not even Tuesday yet. Thanks for giving me the chance to discover the album which is going straight on the vinyl "to buy" list. :^

• Upvote

huwge

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2007
Cymru
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like the jazz rock albums; Hot Rats is a long time fave' date=' Jean Luc Ponty's King Kong (partially written by Zappa and full of assorted Mothers) is a cracking album and I am persevering with Waka Jawaka, but despite a concerted effort earlier in the year I haven't got very far with anything else. Clearly what I was missing was the added ingredient of a second dominant character in the mix. The sparks and ideas flying between the Captain and Zappa make this an excellent album and I enjoyed it a lot. From the awesome guitar of Advance Romance and Muffin Man to the excoriating lyrics of Poofter's Froth... there was never a dull moment.A challenging WAC entry which has already produced lots of interesting discussion and it's not even Tuesday yet. Thanks for giving me the chance to discover the album which is going straight on the vinyl "to buy" list. :^ [/quote']

I particularly like waka and king kong too, you could also try uncle meat and the grand wazoo

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
Jesus wept. I'm also a Zappa novice: this was my first listen to FZ and will be my last.There was some truly great music in the late '60s. There was some truly great music in the late '70s. If you need an example of the sucking void of vapid mediocrity that was 1970 -1976, this will do. :sick:
I LOLed:rofl:

I recommend giving Burnt Weeny Sandwich a go.

Ozexpat

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2009
the brewhouse
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The CD triple pack of Waka Jawaka, Hot Rats and The Grand Wazoo is a great intro into "straight" Zappa. Mostly Jazz inspired and quite cool.

glowingtones

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 1, 2011
I remember thinking at the time it was very much a band in transition and although I owned all of the records recorded up to this time I still preferred 'One Size Fits All', 'Roxy & Elsewhere' and 'Apostrophe'. When 'Zoot Allures' was released I was pleased the band transition was complete, Zoot Allures was a very different album. I don't own a copy of Bongo Fury so I listened to it on Deezer last night, parts of it raised a smile but I think this was the poor cousin of most of the material Zappa released in the mid 70's. Nice bit of nostalgia for me though ... thanks for the heads up.

• Upvote

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I particularly like waka and king kong too, you could also try uncle meat and the grand wazoo
Yes I did like Grand Wazoo when I heard it earlier in the year and it is also on the list, I'll give Uncle Meat a listen when I get a chance. Bongo Fury is now on order. :)

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Separating the wheat from the chaff is IMO impossible with Zappa as he can be amazing and bloody infuriating in one song
That is my impression of the album. Good and bad.

Pretty good overall, though maybe the bad bits get a bit more annoying rather than better on repeated listens. Lots of decent bits. But plenty of, sort of, trying too hard funny/silly bits.

As others have said, track 2 a highlight and very catchy.

I enjoyed playing this, but something stops me from really liking it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online