thebiglebowski

Wammer
Sep 26, 2016
Scumhampton
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a message from a new user that set off alarm bells as there is also a user on pfm with the same name but doesn't use that here. Asked a few Q's and he said I can't collect as he is in Dublin Ireland

Doing a lookup on his profile photo comes up as a user on the ML forum, where he says he is in Alaska (he may be genuine from the local pickup offer) Also on the hifihaven forum with another name

1674644081778.png

1674644173958.png

1674644452424.png

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Now banned.

The usual warnings about buying and selling are shown in the classifieds section. As always, please take care people. The signs are usually obvious (only PayPal friends and family, sending to an address outside the UK, using bitcoin, no forum posts, etc.).

And, of course, please report any suspicious buyers or sellers.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a message from a new user that set off alarm bells as there is also a user on pfm with the same name but doesn't use that here. Asked a few Q's and he said I can't collect as he is in Dublin Ireland

Doing a lookup on his profile photo comes up as a user on the ML forum, where he says he is in Alaska (he may be genuine from the local pickup offer) Also on the hifihaven forum with another name

1674644081778.png

1674644173958.png

1674644452424.png
Well spotted Chris👍

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The image is of a retired school teacher from Truro. I can't find an e-mail address to let him know, not as though he could do a lot about it.

But this character is now a banned scammer. Take care guys, they are after your money.

Buy from fellow Wammers at Bake-Offs and the Show. You can be sure you are getting something for your money and you can test if it works.

Arnolddew

New Wammer
Jan 24, 2023
Drachten, Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Very refined these guys. It also happens in my country. First it was only Iphone's tablets and that kind of stuff. Now even vintage Hifi!

Last week a friend placed an add that he searched an Sonneteer Orton 🫣. An Orton "owner" now has 500,- down payment. Never heard from him again.

• Sad
Reactions: Tony_J

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Usually the written English is very poor with lots of grammar and spelling errors.
That is usually the biggest give away to me.
I'm sure you well educated and erudite people on here could spot this a mile off.

mikegree nwood

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 22, 2008
Up North., , United
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The image is of a retired school teacher from Truro. I can't find an e-mail address to let him know, not as though he could do a lot about it.

But this character is now a banned scammer. Take care guys, they are after your money.

Buy from fellow Wammers at Bake-Offs and the Show. You can be sure you are getting something for your money and you can test if it works.

yorkio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2010
Tyne & Wear
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

His email address is down the bottom of the page at https://www.chemguide.co.uk/about.html

• Upvote
Reactions: greybeard and Lurch

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
His email address is down the bottom of the page at https://www.chemguide.co.uk/about.html
Contacted him and he thanked us for informing him. Yes, the Chemguide guy's image is being (mis) used by a scammer. The Chemguide man's image was stolen from an old-school magazine. The Chemguide guy acknowledges there is little he can do.

Last edited:

occasional thinker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Steel City
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Contacted him and he thanked us for informing him and yes he is a scammer. His image was removed from an old-school magazine. He acknowledges there is little he can do.
I doubt that the author of Chemguide is a scammer - it's a well-established and useful educational site. The scammer is someone who has stolen Chemguide author's photo. Suggest that you make this clear.

Reactions: Tony_J

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK. The phrasing is not clear. The person in the image is NOT the scammer. His image was stolen and misused. The person in the image runs the Chemguide site and his image has been misused by the scammer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.