Warning Vinyl (and other items) no longer covered for loss or damage with Hermes

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you sell Vinyl be aware that Hermes will no longer cover you for loss or damage on vinyl. This is true not matter even if you take out extra insurance for more expensive records. Damage I can sort of understand by why not pay out if they lose it, that just seems wrong to me. Other things include Photographic equipment, jewelry & musical instruments.

I'm not sure when this change happened, but now if you put any of these items in the description of goods being sent you get a pop up message letting you know you're no covered.

Here's the Link for the full list 

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/send-a-parcel/non-compensation-items

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do people use Hermes given their service? Hermes' 'couriers' turned up to collect a synth that I sold in a 15 year old Yaris and had no idea how to load a parcel into the Yaris and wasn't wearing a uniform.  Fortunately it was a synth in original double box. If people want cheap then they need to know that cheap often comes with risk.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Amazon use Hermes to deliver and collect in Cornwall. I had items to return and six times they failed to collect. In the end, I made Amazon use DPD and they collected very next day. The items were in Scotland the day after and I was refunded the day after that. Hermes are a second rate outfit using anyone with a car to collect or deliver. Steer clear.

• Upvote
Reactions: vinyl4ever and DomT

alphatoner

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 17, 2007
Tring, Herts
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why do people use Hermes given their service? 
I personally have no issues with them. I must have sent well over 700 items through them over the years (at least 150 in 2021 alone) in all that time they have only ever damaged 1 item and paid out quickly and lost 1 item also paid out quickly. I have had plenty of worse experiences with the more expensive couriers.

I appreciate others have bad experiences but you can say that about pretty much all of them. Name a single courier and someone will come along with a horror story and tell you not to use them, as well as others who will say they are great. In reality none of them are actually couriers they are parcel delivery companies. True couriers offer a different and much better service altogether, but it does come at a price.

• Upvote
Reactions: JANDL100 and DomT

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I personally have no issues with them. I must have sent well over 700 items through them over the years (at least 150 in 2021 alone) in all that time they have only ever damaged 1 item and paid out quickly and lost 1 item also paid out quickly. I have had plenty of worse experiences with the more expensive couriers.

I appreciate others have bad experiences but you can say that about pretty much all of them. Name a single courier and someone will come along with a horror story and tell you not to use them, as well as others who will say they are great. In reality none of them are actually couriers they are parcel delivery companies. True couriers offer a different and much better service altogether, but it does come at a price.
I think a lot of it is area dependant. However, a service being offered in your area should be the same as any other. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Nifkin

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Wow great to hear that. 

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just purchased a record from a Discogs seller who, for some reason, only uses Hermes, despite complaints in his feedback. Should be interesting.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only electrical item they delivered to me was left out in the rain with a broken box 😡 (I was in at the time!)

I wouldn't buy anything if I knew they would be delivering - except clothing or something non-fragile  that could withstand some mistreatment.

robbyrtp

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 28, 2009
Runcorn
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Records and CDs are fair game to be used as a frisbee on at least four occasions 🤣

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's always been like this with Hermes. In fact, most couriers, or rather the 'third party bookers' are much the same for items like this. 

Very limited third party bookers will insure anything of Hifi equipment. I suggest using a flat rate courier like DHL, and then insuring the parcel yourself if its valuable using someone like Secursus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online