Western Electric plans to expand tube range

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems like Western Electric could start manufacturing another type of tubes asking on their website about potential interest . It won't be very quick but with russian (not using capital letter for purpose intended) tubes no more for some time might help with the "shortage".
Have your say and answer the questionnaire:
https://www.westernelectric.com/expand

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good luck to them, I hope they do well.
Definitely there would be quite big demand for KT88 for example as there isn't many alternatives to Chinese and JJ tubes , russian tubes certainly would find their way through China but at higher cost and many would not use them as a principle , definitely US and European based companies would stop fitting them in sold equipment

Reactions: bigrod

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I won't be buying anything from them if their prices are like their 300b tubes.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with premium Chinese tubes.

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I won't be buying anything from them if their prices are like their 300b tubes.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with premium Chinese tubes.
Problem with Chinese tubes is sourcing them from reliable source as QC is quite poor and I've used them quite a lot in the past ,
WE to be competitive and cover the cost of tooling would need to price them to sell in big quantities

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Problem with Chinese tubes is sourcing them from reliable source as QC is quite poor and I've used them quite a lot in the past ,
WE to be competitive and cover the cost of tooling would need to price them to sell in big quantities
My Rogue Titan Atlas uses 4 x KT 120 power tubes, now Tungsol KT120's are not physically or ethically an option & the Shuguang factory has burnt down, buying the Shuguang Treasure KT120's described by many including the Stereo Times as the best available, bought from an unknown source even NOS could be subject to being seconds or to poor QC. I don't know whether the Psvane KT120's are still available, I have been lead to believe they were made by Shuguang I contacted Mark O'brien at Rogue Audio KT150's and by extension KT170's are not an option either I have no wish to melt a transformer.

My tubes are several years old biased at 40Ma that's 35Ma on the gauge + 5Ma due to a resistor? even biased at such a low figure they won't last forever. Lets hope the Chinese Government builds a new Shuguang factory & starts production off KT120's.

Last edited:
Reactions: mac72

mac72

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 12, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Rogue Titan Atlas uses 4 x KT 120 power tubes, now Tungsol KT120's are not physically or ethically an option & the Shuguang factory has burnt down, buying the Shuguang Treasure KT120's described by many including the Stereo Times as the best available, bought from an unknown source even NOS could be subject to being seconds or to poor QC. I don't know whether the Psvane KT120's are still available, I have been lead to believe they were made by Shuguang I contacted Mark O'brien at Rogue Audio KT150's and by extension KT170's are not an option either I have no wish to melt a transformer.

My tubes are several years old biased at 40Ma that's 35Ma on the gauge + 5Ma due to a resistor? even biased at such a low figure they won't last forever. Lets hope the Chinese Government builds a new Shuguang factory & starts production off KT120's.
KT88 might be an option but you need to check with Rogue Audio of course

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
KT88 might be an option but you need to check with Rogue Audio of course
KT88'S were original fitment, I have used KT88's they sounded anaemic in comparison to the KT120's I have thought about them may be a poor if only option to my ears in my system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online