Westone IEM's

30hurts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone considering purchasing Westone IEM's. I've had 3 different pairs over the course of 8 years and I'd completely avoid at all costs. The first pair were branded as suitable for activity. i.e the gym. A little sweat got into them and they failed, not IP rated at all. 

I purchased a brand new pair of W4's for critical listening and no gym. These also prematurely failed. I was offered a discounted pair of W40 which I took. After 3 years the treble driver has failed in one ear, and I can't purchased one earpiece as "They're packed in pairs". 

So all in all I've spent nigh on £1000 for disposable headphones. Sure, they sound good initially, but don't expect them to last more than 3 years. Avoid this crap-junk at all costs!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone considering purchasing Westone IEM's. I've had 3 different pairs over the course of 8 years and I'd completely avoid at all costs. The first pair were branded as suitable for activity. i.e the gym. A little sweat got into them and they failed, not IP rated at all. 

I purchased a brand new pair of W4's for critical listening and no gym. These also prematurely failed. I was offered a discounted pair of W40 which I took. After 3 years the treble driver has failed in one ear, and I can't purchased one earpiece as "They're packed in pairs". 

So all in all I've spent nigh on £1000 for disposable headphones. Sure, they sound good initially, but don't expect them to last more than 3 years. Avoid this crap-junk at all costs!
Unfortunately some things these days are not built to last, but when you pay that sort of money you expect more than a couple of years.

What model were the first pair, were they sold as IP rated? As sometimes "suitable for activities" can refer more to if they will stay put in the ear rather than activities that create sweat.

30hurts

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 13, 2013
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well there were images of runners, and people do all kinds of activities on the packaging of the first pair. I didn't make the mistake of using the next ones for activity and the last two pairs were extremely well cared for. It's basically disposable junk so I hope anyone considering them reads this.

Over the ear Shures I think from now on!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I imagine the company would claim they were very fit runners and wouldn't break into a sweat even running a marathon or something like that [emoji23]

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: 30hurts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online