Wammer
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Adelaide
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To Bring You My Love - PJ Harvey. Vinyl. A tour de force.

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
MS00MjE4LmpwZWc.jpeg

[1991] U2 – Achtung Baby [CD]

The stage is set - 11/28/1987 - U2 take the stage on what would be considered a travel date. Seating capacity was around 11k or so and we ended by close to stage right. At this point I was a Luke warm fan, never had scene them live, so when the chance presented it self we decided to attend.
While the show was good, Bono was in a mood and told the audience they had rather gone to Memphis but this is OK. Later in the show he had trouble with a wireless mic which I watched him bang to bits on the a railing on stage right. stomped around to down stage center, folded his arms and stared down the sound guy. Eventually got on with it. I left that show with mixed feelings - glad I went but felt Bono's behavior was just sad, and this is coming from someone who was 18yo at the time.

Fast forward to early 1992 when the move, "Until the End of the World" came out. I simply love this movie and love the song just as much. "Achtung Baby" had already been released and my love for the song prompted me to buy the album. The concert experience had put me off the band but boy am I glad I did. The album to this day is one of my all time favorites. Such a different direction for the band. With songs like "Zoo Station", "The Fly", "Love is Blindness" and "Acrobat" faith had been restored. This became even more apparent during the tour and the contrasting persons of "The Fly" and "Mr. MacPhisto". Brilliant stuff.

Fast forward to 11/23/1997 - almost 10 years to the day. I am in Atlanta for the Popmart tour and had my seat relocated to right by the main runway where the stairs to the lemon hit touched the stage. This show is one of my all time favorites of any bad. What a night. I was at an early date in the tour when the tech was still glitchy and "The Edge" even apologized to us for being so terrible. This show more than made up for it.

Anyway - "Achtung Baby" really made me the life long U2 fan that I am. It should be in every music lovers collection and stands the test of time very well.

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cliff Martinez - Solaris: Original Motion Picture Score - CD - Edel/Superb Rec. A36330DD-E197-499A-9CF3-AF5F2A6596D2.jpeg
Wonderful soundtrack.

Cliff Martinez is one of my favorite soundtrack composers. He also did the music to "Drive" but I would suggest checking out his work on "The Knick". Same style and very cool vibe.

Reactions: MVJ

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I saw him only once, in the 70's at Birmingham Town Hall. A distant memory now but I remember enjoying it very much. I wish I could go back and experience those 70's gigs again, but at the age that I am now. Although I enjoyed them at the time, I would savour them even more now, knowing how much of a privilege it is to see a successful artist in a small, more intimate venue. I just didn't know back then how large the average venue would become (and how relatively high the ticket prices would become!).
I could not agree more, the small venues were wonderful, the largest venue I went to then was the Empire Pool Wembley (Now the Wembley arena) which had a seating capacity of around 9000, very large for a concert back then. But you still did not need large screens to see the artists, and the concerts I saw there which was many, Floyd, Purple, Zeppelin and Frampton, to name a few, were still very enjoyable.
A band I never saw back then was the Eagles, and I was lucky enough to get tickets for them at Wembley Stadium in 2019, I really did not enjoy the experience, from my expensive seats. Not the Eagles fault, they played well, just the size of the venue, watching them on a screen, rather than the stage. No not for me. In comparison I went and saw The Delines in a church in Jericho Oxford, last year, no more than 500 people there, wow what a concert and performance, and got to speak to the band afterwards at the bar, which had been set up for the night in the church!

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I could not agree more, the small venues were wonderful, the largest venue I went to then was the Empire Pool Wembley (Now the Wembley arena) which had a seating capacity of around 9000, very large for a concert back then. But you still did not need large screens to see the artists, and the concerts I saw there which was many, Floyd, Purple, Zeppelin and Frampton, to name a few, were still very enjoyable.
A band I never saw back then was the Eagles, and I was lucky enough to get tickets for them at Wembley Stadium in 2019, I really did not enjoy the experience, from my expensive seats. Not the Eagles fault, they played well, just the size of the venue, watching them on a screen, rather than the stage. No not for me. In comparison I went and saw The Delines in a church in Jericho Oxford, last year, no more than 500 people there, wow what a concert and performance, and got to speak to the band afterwards at the bar, which had been set up for the night in the church!
Sounds like I was more blessed, our largest venues in Birmingham in the 70's were the Odeon Cinema, the Town Hall, the Alexandra Theatre and The Hippodrome Theatre. As you might imagine, all pretty small venues. At the Town Hall, I saw Deep Purple, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Golden Earring/Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rory, John Martyn (4 times, lol), Robin Trower amongst others. At the Odeon, artists such as The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. My first large indoor concert was The Eagles at Bingley Hall, Stafford. We still get some great artists now at the wonderful Symphony Hall, which is still fairly small and has fabulous acoustics. Definitely my favourite venue these days.
Keep on rockin'.

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like I was more blessed, our largest venues in Birmingham in the 70's were the Odeon Cinema, the Town Hall, the Alexandra Theatre and The Hippodrome Theatre. As you might imagine, all pretty small venues. At the Town Hall, I saw Deep Purple, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Golden Earring/Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rory, John Martyn (4 times, lol), Robin Trower amongst others. At the Odeon, artists such as The Rolling Stones, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Sabbath and The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. My first large indoor concert was The Eagles at Bingley Hall, Stafford. We still get some great artists now at the wonderful Symphony Hall, which is still fairly small and has fabulous acoustics. Definitely my favourite venue these days.
Keep on rockin'.
Most of my concert tickets here, you may find it interesting, especially some of the prices of 70's gigs!...

Attachments

• 20230325_120246.jpg
    20230325_120246.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230325_120258.jpg
    20230325_120258.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • 20230325_120311.jpg
    20230325_120311.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Forum statistics

Threads