Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi everyone,

I'd like to take a friend who is getting in to hi-fi to some shows and wandered which you'd recommend? I've not been to any for a while so suggestions thoroughly appreciated.

Location not important but preferably in the UK. We are thinking about going to the High End show in Munich next year though.

Thanks in advance.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scalford Hall Wigwam show is excellent for listening to 'real life' systems. However, it tends to be more a social occasion and many wammers are much the wose for wear on the actual day.

Long may that continue.

Munich I have only ever attended once, but it's a massive show and a good place to hear some seriously high-end stuff.

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cranage & the wigwam one are my favourites
Thank you Stu, will definitely try the wigwam one next year. A given. :cool:

I'll look up the Cranage show too.

- - - Updated - - -

Scalford Hall Wigwam show is excellent for listening to 'real life' systems. However, it tends to be more a social occasion and many wammers are much the wose for wear on the actual day.Long may that continue.

Munich I have only ever attended once, but it's a massive show and a good place to hear some seriously high-end stuff.
Thanks Richard and that's what I was hoping for. It would be nice to see a 'real life' show and then the other extreme.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scalford and Munich are the best extremes...cranage hall near manchester the best compromise middle ground show. IMO.

• Upvote
Reactions: rv295

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Scalford and Munich are the best extremes...cranage hall near manchester the best compromise middle ground show. IMO.
Thank you John!

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.
That looks like an awesome show, sadly a little too far away for us though.

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Munich is by far the best show in Europe The extent of product on show can overwhelming

For many attending I will say that hifi deluxe which runs the same time as Munich is a really lovely little show

I also am a fan of Cranage as it really has a nice feel to it and lots of good sounds there too
Thanks John, I think there is a shuttle bus to run people back and forth from the High End show to the Hifi Deluxe show so we were hoping to attend both. At least I heard there was on the previous shows.

Agreed. I've done both this year and the atmosphere-gear has been great. Scalford is by far the best though. That's more than a show.
Cheers Rick and sunbeamgls, it sounds like we have 3 shows to attend next year. :^

Thank you once again everyone, it is appreciated!

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just gave a bit of thought to this - seems Cranage, Scalford and Munich are the ones being recommended.

But then again, for the UK, that's a 50% success rate as the only 2 major ones not in the list are Whittlebury and Windsor. Given that Scalford doesn't fit into the normal pattern of dealer / manfacturer shows, does it mean that Cranage is really good, or just the best of a mediocre bunch?

There are some smaller regional shows too - I quite enjoy the Chester show run by Acoustica, but wouldn't recommend a lot of travelling to be there.

rmsshipbroker

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 4, 2012
Yorkshire
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think Cranage is enjoyable because it showcases the type of kit we like here on the Wam, vinyl, horns, unusual stuff, not the mainstream boxes.

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just gave a bit of thought to this - seems Cranage, Scalford and Munich are the ones being recommended.But then again, for the UK, that's a 50% success rate as the only 2 major ones not in the list are Whittlebury and Windsor.
Er, I think you'll find there's another show at a little West Country village called Bristol every year... ;-)

rv295

Chat Bot
Wammer
Sep 13, 2015
Sheffield
AKA
Ross
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think Cranage is enjoyable because it showcases the type of kit we like here on the Wam, vinyl, horns, unusual stuff, not the mainstream boxes.
That sounds ideal to me, I've already taken him to half a dozen different hi-fi shops to demo various mainstream brands. My friend is building a vinyl collection and wants to go down that route so Cranage sounds ideal for us anyway.

Er, I think you'll find there's another show at a little West Country village called Bristol every year... ;-)
I've been to Bristol and didn't enjoy it so I had ruled that one out in the back of my mind. Appreciate the suggestion though as the thread may be useful for others new to the world of hi-fi! :^

I nearly forgot to thank 'sunbeamgls', 'avole' and Rudy! :oops:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online