Which format do you prefer?

naka

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 24, 2015
It is the big question: which format?

I use CDs for the most part, because I love the format, the sound, the booklet, the availability, and to top those reasons also because they are very cheap nowadays. I love it :)

Bought the first one 32 years ago and my collection is still growing (buying 10 to 20 CDs each month) and now I have a little more than 4500, mainly jazz, 60-70’s rock and blues. But also have some classical, reggae, blues
Also I am interested in music from the middle east, india, pakistan, iran, etc, and only CD can make it possible, since it is in most cases the only available format.
This is one of the most beautiful aspects of the most democratic of the formats: the huge universal music catalog.
Want to buy music from the most remote village of the Himalayas? There is a cd on Discogs or eBay for sure :)

Because my large collection, I have six great CD players and will always look for another great one (in mint condition and serviceable) to keep.
When done right (recording, mastering and pressing) the sound from CD is wonderful and totally satisfying. When done badly (many of them are, especially in pop music), it is a music-killer. Ex: The Police compressed remasters!

In a distant second place comes streaming, accessing a Tidal subscription on the excellent Auralic Aries Femto transport, usually connect to the Denafrips Pontus II through Audioquest Carbon USB.
Sound quality wise is almost perfect, but I don’t feel as connected to music and it is mainly use to discover music or listen to album that I am not interested in buying.
And I also have a NAS with +2500 Flac albums, but don’t use it anymore because Tidal sounds better.

Last comes vinyl.
I have a great turntable, cartridge, phono stage, separated power supply, record washing machine, the whole lot... but in the end really don’t use it, so I have very recently decided to selling it all..
The LP collection counts no more than 250 records, so I know that I will not miss much.
I find it very annoying to change the record every 25 minutes and also my mind is accustomed to the quietness of digital.

There are at least six big (personal) issues that restrain me from using vinyl are:
- the crazy prices of new records...and old ones
- the usually poor condition of used records
- the huge differences between masterings and pressings... a much real but time consuming thing thatI don’t want to pursue at all.
- the special care and attention needed to obtain great sound (although this can be debatable... just use an all-Rega gear and you’re free to go)
- the storage space
- there isn’t not a good record store in the city where I live, and buying online is expensive (especially the shipping costs)

Like many I really feel that CD will come back... at least I hope so. But they will need to be more affordable than before.

What is your preference on format?

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's not preference as such but I do like playing my SACDs and I also like playing my original vinyl records , FLAC files from ripped CDs and streaming come next for pure convenience .

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Streaming 100%. Cd covers how long can you look at those? I read reviews whilst listening to new music, all on my ipad, it is better for me than playing cds, I never play them now, many are inferior to whats on the streamer. I used Qobuz and Tidal but now Deezer, it's very cheap. I don't agree about cd availability and prices shoot up if they are not available new anymore. Streaming has renewed my interest in music.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Records and the truly wonderful Beeb Sounds app. Lord, the Beeb radio is so good. The latter from the Virgin telly box via an optical connection into my Quad CDP.

Last edited:

Leeken

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CD for me,love streaming,great way of finding new stuff but to my ears when I last compared apples with apples cd sounded better,will have to compare again soon,still confused as to why the same master was 8-10 db louder streaming than cd.

Reactions: MF 1000

Dogwithnotail

Underperforming idiot
Wammer Plus
Apr 10, 2022
Warwickshire
AKA
Ash
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still really enjoying vinyl. The ritual, care and commitment to listen to am lp makes me stop, listen and appreciate the music more.
Also, the fact that it is dragging a diamond shard across a wiggly plastic groove at microscopic scale still intrigued me - makes a good performance even more special.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mainly digital for convenience, 85-90% local storage and 10-15% Tidal I'd say.

Vinyl gets plenty of love when I can be bothered and I agree that the mastering determines the format. There are some albums I only listen to on vinyl and some I only listen to on digital.

No CD player. They're all gathering dust in the spare bedroom. If Luxman don't release a new DAC I may just have to buy a D-10X however.

Reactions: leroyd

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Mainly digital for convenience, 85-90% local storage and 10-15% Tidal I'd say.

Vinyl gets plenty of love when I can be bothered and I agree that the mastering determines the format. There are some albums I only listen to on vinyl and some I only listen to on digital.

No CD player. They're all gathering dust in the spare bedroom. If Luxman don't release a new DAC I may just have to buy a D-10X however.
Vinyl when you can be bothered?? I’d be on it constantly if I had got your phonostage!

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still really enjoying vinyl. The ritual, care and commitment to listen to am lp makes me stop, listen and appreciate the music more.
Also, the fact that it is dragging a diamond shard across a wiggly plastic groove at microscopic scale still intrigued me - makes a good performance even more special.
Great call, the mechanics of this and the science of streaming are two things I do not understand. But the former is so comforting in this world of technology 🙂

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Streaming represents the majority here with a bit of vinyl. The only discs I regularly spin are Blu-ray concerts and a relatively small number of SACD I have. So saying if it wasn't for room constraints (I have over 2000 CDs ripped to a NAS and stored in the garage) I'd be spinning the little silver discs a lot of the time. I'd love to go back to thumbing through my CD collection on shelving in my listening room but alas just not the space.

• Upvote
Reactions: MartinC and Bazzer

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Streaming represents the majority here with a bit of vinyl. The only discs I regularly spin are Blu-ray concerts and a relatively small number of SACD I have. So saying if it wasn't for room constraints (I have over 2000 CDs ripped to a NAS and stored in the garage) I'd be spinning the little silver discs a lot of the time. I'd love to go back to thumbing through my CD collection on shelving in my listening room but alas just not the space.
Do you find SACD better than CD, something I've never even considered ? Please say no ! 😉

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also, the fact that it is dragging a diamond shard across a wiggly plastic groove at microscopic scale still intrigued me
Should you ever be deprived of vinyl, just think about how amazing it is that having a number of speaker cones vibrating in and out is able to reproduce music. Whilst at the technical level I know 'how it works' I still think it's pretty amazing! Imagine trying to explain the idea to someone who had never heard music played back by a loudspeaker before...

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Streaming Qobuz
Vinyl (selectively according to recording, artist and pressing.
My ripped CDs streamed locally or from NAS.

i have a number of recordings where I can be reasonably sure that the masters are the same for streamed vs ripped and I prefer streamed variant. Cant apply that to vinyl.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only discs I regularly spin are Blu-ray concerts
Not often, but actually I do that sometimes too. I end up watching concert footage on YouTube more frequently though as it's easier.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CD for me,love streaming,great way of finding new stuff but to my ears when I last compared apples with apples cd sounded better,will have to compare again soon,still confused as to why the same master was 8-10 db louder streaming than cd.
thats the output setting which may explain the difference. Some amps don't cope well with higher outputs.

You use a
Wiim mini for streaming?

Reactions: Leeken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.