Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven’t heard all of these stages. But I have heard a lot of other stages and came to the conclusion that the only stage that I was prepared to pay for that was an improvement on my heavily customised Audion Premier stage was the Trilogy 907 (but I also demoed the 906). I preferred both Trilogies over the stage in my Marantz PM11S2, Tom Evans Groove + SRX, Leema Agena, Linn Uphorik, Naim Stageline. Croft, Puresound.

The Trilogy for me came the closest to the naturalness, timbre, musicality, transparency and life that the custom Audion had. Most of the others were a bit flat, or HiFi, or lacked something or other or just not worth the extra price over the Audion.

Many of these stages were tested with my Leben CS300XS and a Dynavector DRT1S and DV20X2 cartridges into Harbeth SHL5.
Many years since we talked Dom but your system has certainly changed. I'm currently running a Dynavactor 20 x 11, previously into the Luxman / Tannoys, having built 12"MG cabinets during lockdown. Previous speakers were Harbeth HL5's first in good old + form then later anniversaries. I loved them but they didn't quite gel with the luxman and dynavector and anyway I always wanted to build tannoys, and then there was Covid 19 so! I can imagine that the Dynavector's life and kick would go really well with the Leben 300 and Harbs. My kind of sound I think. The Tannoys do something entirely different but amazing in their way. Anyway thanks for the advice. In my head, the Trilogy, Aurorasound and Avid are a head in front, but we'll see.

Reactions: DomT

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many years since we talked Dom but your system has certainly changed. I'm currently running a Dynavactor 20 x 11, previously into the Luxman / Tannoys, having built 12"MG cabinets during lockdown. Previous speakers were Harbeth HL5's first in good old + form then later anniversaries. I loved them but they didn't quite gel with the luxman and dynavector and anyway I always wanted to build tannoys, and then there was Covid 19 so! I can imagine that the Dynavector's like and kick would go really well with the Leben 300 and Harbs. My kind of sound I think. The Tannoys do something entirely different but amazing in their way. Anyway thanks for the advice. In my head the trilogy, Aurorasound and Avid are a head in front, but we'll see.

I suggest trying out the Pathos In The Groove 2.

If you try Robbie @ Audio Oasis, he often has ex demo/open box Pathos stuff for sale and does home demos.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deek

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been a fan of Lehmann for many a year now. Really well built, quality components, lovely warm valvey sound although they're very solid state. I had a space dilemma as well, so had to consider a small footprint as well. The Black Cube SE is what I ended up with and I really can't fault it.

Seibassman

Wammer
Jul 29, 2021
Devon
AKA
Matthew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok I apologise in advance because whilst writing this I will be doing something which if others do to me, annoys the hell out of me.

I am proposing a phono amp which costs a bit more £1400 against your £1000 limit which is in fact a lot more but here goes. Gold Note PH10. It does MM and MC as well as having 3 different eq settings apart from RIAA, Decca London and American Colombia for any older recording made using their eq settings. You can also play around a bit to enhance them further. The dimensions are 200w, 80h and 260d. So these may not fit your requirements.
I cannot fully comment on the sound yet as i have only had it 3 hours so it is currently running in. I use a high output MC so I will use the MM option. Big point for me is that everyhing is controlled via a small front screen and single knob, again on the front which is easy and intuitive to use.

Important point price increase on I think Friday so pull the trigger quickly if you think the PH10 is going to be your new best friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: myles

andreweast

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 17, 2009
London (SE)
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you can find them second hand then the venerable but excellent Kinshaw Perception or the Edwards MCJ3 are both good small form phono stages with separate PSUs and MC/MM switches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.