Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm soon to be 40 and my other half has asked me if there was anything I'd like for my system. Seeing as a new TT might be pushing it, I've asked for a record cleaning machine. Now I'd love a Loricraft or similar but realistically that's way too much so I'm looking along the lines of a Project vacuum type or maybe an ultrasonic cleaner. Having read about ultrasonic cleaners, they seem a great idea and very effective but I worry about the cavitation damaging my records? 

What are peoples thoughts/experiences?

The choice is between - 

The new Project (all metal) 

Velvet Vortex by Spider off here

Kirmuss Audio ka rc1

Although I'm open to suggestions. 

Thanks, 

Phil 

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Both the VV and Project are great bits of kit for their price. I have both types (earlier Pro-Ject VCS) the main difference I find is that the Pro-Ject is that in addition to a good clean (circa 2 mins a side) its a nice quick fix for when you put a record on and it sounds a bit noisy. You can whip it of, give it a quick clean and be back playing the record within 2 minutes. 

The VV on the other hand needs a planned cleaning session due to the need to heat the water and then dependant on the state of the record it will need between 6 & 9 minutes (3 mins = 2 revolutions) in the VV, you then need to wait for it to air dry, or, as I do, stick it on the Pro-Ject & vacuum dry. 

Don't worry about cavitation effects as the frequency used in the VV is not high enough. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Bertiebee

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2008
Midlands
AKA
Iain
I have a Velvet Vortex, one of the earliest purchasers and I’ve used it extensively since I bought it. Can’t recommend it highly enough.

I do also use a wet RCM, either a VPI 17 or 27 in conjunction with the Velvet Vortex and it works especially well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use an Okki Nokki and am very pleased with it - the Project seems to operate on the same principles.  Treat yourself  to these to use for the wet cleaning part (100s of mohair bristles down into the grooves) I find it works better than the goats hair brush most wet clean makers provide (not Loricraft that has cotton under the suction arm) https://www.tilinglogistics.co.uk/sealer-applicator-and-paint-application-pad

Reactions: John (big)

Valley Dweller

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 20, 2013
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't miss the thread on RCM's on the Linn Sondek LP12 section of the Linn Owners Club on this site. There's a lot of good stuff on there that you might find useful. It's on the first or second page and has been going for a while.

MarginWalker

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2015
Surrey
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is there any difference between the project VCS and VCE other than the metal body and tank capacity?

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Think VCS is just the old model designation. There are however 2 sizes for the new one, a 'mini' so record overhangs so ideal if need smaller for storage when not in use, and a full tt sized one that's slightly dearer. 

bigfool1956

Old Progger
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2008
Littlehampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Is there any difference between the project VCS and VCE other than the metal body and tank capacity?
The current VCS is the bigger one, and the VCE (which I have) is the smaller one. Whilst it's substantially cheaper, it has the same motor and vacuum as the other model. Unfortunately, due to its small size, the exhaust port for the vacuum fires directly upwards onto the underside of the record being cleaned. This creates a layer of condensation, and so now Project supply an LP sized plastic disc to put under the record when cleaning - something I only do for the second side that I clean. It's a bit of a faff, but then the smaller machine is a lot cheaper and easier to store. You pays your money etc.

BettisDad

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2019
Wigan
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replies so far. 

Both the VV and Project are great bits of kit for their price. I have both types (earlier Pro-Ject VCS) the main difference I find is that the Pro-Ject is that in addition to a good clean (circa 2 mins a side) its a nice quick fix for when you put a record on and it sounds a bit noisy. You can whip it of, give it a quick clean and be back playing the record within 2 minutes. 

The VV on the other hand needs a planned cleaning session due to the need to heat the water and then dependant on the state of the record it will need between 6 & 9 minutes (3 mins = 2 revolutions) in the VV, you then need to wait for it to air dry, or, as I do, stick it on the Pro-Ject & vacuum dry. 

Don't worry about cavitation effects as the frequency used in the VV is not high enough. 
That's a good point, I'd not thought of that. 

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is the  waste solution from my Okki Nokki RCM after some cleaning. 

D88EDF40-EC04-44C1-ACDE-B7C62C3FA94E.jpeg

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive got the older Project cleaner, with the wooden tank. Used in conjunction with the Project Wash-it fluid.

It does a great job both for cleaning & for reducing static. I clean only about 10 LP’s a month, I guess. If I was a record dealer, or someone else who was cleaning a large quantity of vinyl on a regular basis, I’d probably explore some of the more costly cleaners, but for my needs, the Project is more than good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very happy with my Okki Nokki II.

There are a lot of happy VV owners too but, for me, the lack of a cover for the bath is a deal breaker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online