Why does my CD player sound better than my TT?

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On this site a few years ago there was quite a lot of banter between those who preferred vinyl to cd's.

Many(not all) of those who preferred cd have now delved into vinyl in a big way.Some had/still have very expensive cdp's and rarely play them now,preferring vinyl(not all) if both formats are available,which in most cases they are.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
On this site a few years ago there was quite a lot of banter between those who preferred vinyl to cd's.Many(not all) of those who preferred cd have now delved into vinyl in a big way.Some had/still have very expensive cdp's and rarely play them now,preferring vinyl(not all) if both formats are available,which in most cases they are.
I remember quite an acrimonious thread or two from around that time. Vinyl has had something of a revival since, and CD has been thumped significantly by streaming/downloading. This has caused a shift back towards vinyl as a preferred medium, but truth be told both have their uses, strengths etc. You are right that some of the loudest supporters of CD have since re-invested in a big way into vinyl.

As to classical, for which CD is often cited as the best option, I really enjoy my vinyl recordings, and in some cases thre equivalent vinyl clearly beats the CD of the same performance. I was only listening to the Ashkenasy LP of Sibelius' 5th Symphony this morning - stunning dynamics and an image which draws you right into the orchestra. I have the (full-price) CD of the same, which I briefly tried afterwards. Not in the same ballpark. :nup:

All anecdotal of course, there would be plenty of examples showing the opposite viewpoint I'm sure.

There is no doubt though - you get a lot more sound quality for your money at the bottom/mid price brackets with CD. You do have to have a very good TT setup to rival good CD.

:^

jhud

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 3, 2013
Rutland
AKA
Jon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not sure Jon - my digital replay is excellent as is my vinyl - I wouldn't state a claim for one over the other. I listen more to vinyl but that at least in part is down to so much of the music I like being on vinyl.
Agreed Lindsay - I don't state a claim for one over the other either. They are different mediums each with its own strengths and weaknesses and I enjoy the results from both - most of the time!

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
On this site a few years ago there was quite a lot of banter between those who preferred vinyl to cd's.Many(not all) of those who preferred cd have now delved into vinyl in a big way.Some had/still have very expensive cdp's and rarely play them now,preferring vinyl(not all) if both formats are available,which in most cases they are.
In your case Ray I can't think of many other source components - analogue or digital - that would go close to your TT!

Emma Royd

Super Wammer Plus
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Dartford
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have some Decca ED1's in very nice condition that I'll have to play(when my tt up and running,dont ask)

Have quite a few classical,but have to be in the mood to play them.

I remember quite an acrimonious thread or two from around that time. Vinyl has had something of a revival since, and CD has been thumped significantly by streaming/downloading. This has caused a shift back towards vinyl as a preferred medium, but truth be told both have their uses, strengths etc. You are right that some of the loudest supporters of CD have since re-invested in a big way into vinyl.As to classical, for which CD is often cited as the best option, I really enjoy my vinyl recordings, and in some cases thre equivalent vinyl clearly beats the CD of the same performance. I was only listening to the Ashkenasy LP of Sibelius' 5th Symphony this morning - stunning dynamics and an image which draws you right into the orchestra. I have the (full-price) CD of the same, which I briefly tried afterwards. Not in the same ballpark. :nup:

All anecdotal of course, there would be plenty of examples showing the opposite viewpoint I'm sure.

There is no doubt though - you get a lot more sound quality for your money at the bottom/mid price brackets with CD. You do have to have a very good TT setup to rival good CD.

:^
- - - Updated - - -

Not at the moment Lindsay,had an accident with the tt,my fault don't ask:D

In your case Ray I can't think of many other source components - analogue or digital - that would go close to your TT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.