Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2011
kilkenny, Ireland
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My older thinkpad wont run windows 11, otherwise it runs perfect and does everything I need a laptop to do.

If I don't upgrade the laptop or install Linux come 2025 will I get terrorized by hackers ?

I don't frequent any dodgy web places (except the wam and other audiophile sites) and don't open any suspicious email attachment's from Nigerian Prince's. How else would the laptop be at risk ?

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still running, ehem, windows 7 on a few computers with no issues apart from lack of drivers for new hardware, (smsl D300 sulk), and they still get updates.

Reactions: michaelgb

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I ran Windows 7 for some time without any issues. I then upgraded to Win10 for free after a few years.

I did not get updates for some time, still worked just the same. Cant use 11 on my computer for some reason.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My older thinkpad wont run windows 11, otherwise it runs perfect and does everything I need a laptop to do.

If I don't upgrade the laptop or install Linux come 2025 will I get terrorized by hackers ?

I don't frequent any dodgy web places (except the wam and other audiophile sites) and don't open any suspicious email attachment's from Nigerian Prince's. How else would the laptop be at risk ?
If you get another three years out of what must be an already ageing laptop then just be happy and look to replace it with something better supported when the time approaches. An alternative is to put a long term supported Linux build on it. I recently found ransomeware on a Linux machine with a drive open with SMB1 but they couldn’t affect the device itself, only the shared drive so in my experience Linux is more resilient. A Windows machine would not have fared so well. Out of left field, consider a tablet. My (ageing) laptop only comes out when I need full PC functionality. I use an iPad and quite honestly very rarely miss my laptop.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've looked at replacing my relatively aging Dell windows 10 laptop for a while as it does have a few glitches now and then. However, what I want doesn't seem to be available anymore - namely a 17" inch screen and a built in dvd / cd drive. My laptop is also my hifi "source" in that I use it to send info to my DAC via USB, it's also my only TV screen, used most days to watch Netflix and/ or DVDs. I also use it to rip cds to my hard drive where I store my digital music library (I only use digital these days)
A few years ago I was spoiled for choice - now it looks like my mains options are the all singing & dancing gaming laptops that are about twice as much as I'd like to pay! The One thing I don't need is an illuminated keyboard for Christ's sake! Oh I also need 1TB or storage!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles