Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2014
Eton wick, berkshire
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use chrome-cast audio with/without a dac.
Rca output.

I have a couple of power amps, only one of which has xlr.

Contemplating a preamp that only has xlr input and output.

So, i need to go from rca to xlr, and xlr to rca.

Do xlr to rca converters go both ways?

Anything i need to be aware of?

I don't need xlr, it's just that a preamp i am considering only has xlr.

Thanks.

S

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t do it. RCA-XLR is ok but XLR-RCA is problematic. For example, XLR is 4v, RCA is 2v.
I don’t think it’s necessarily a reason not to do so, as long as the levels work. Especially as we don’t know if the pre sensitivity can be adjusted or inputs trimmed. But worth checking, for sure.

@nut you’ll need to choose the right converters, because unless I’m misunderstanding you, you don’t need different pairs, though obviously the configuration depends where you fit the plugs. The Neutrik ones pictured I found very good, and were about £25 for a pair iirc. 781EB8D7-F4CF-41D7-8A9F-59C831E833A6.jpeg

Last edited:

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t think it’s necessarily a reason not to do so, as long as the levels work. Especially as we don’t know if the pre sensitivity can be adjusted or inputs trimmed. But worth checking, for sure.

@nut you’ll need to choose the right converters, because unless I’m misunderstanding you, you don’t need different pairs, though obviously the configuration depends where you fit the plugs. The Neutrik ones pictured I found very good, and were about £25 for a pair iirc.
I got a pair of converters off eBay for less than a tenner and they worked a treat
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25562768...OCaI5KzPIFLK3SpwqN7X5AqC6q|tkp:Bk9SR-6xvq_vYA
Also available RCA to XLR https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35377570...8xruxHJiMATOznl2IrPJeGoR0=|tkp:Bk9SR-yxvq_vYA

nut

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2014
Eton wick, berkshire
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems complicated and maybe it's trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.
Maybe not the right preamp.

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It seems complicated and maybe it's trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.
Maybe not the right preamp.
if you really like the pre, nothing is insurmountable, really not such a big deal on the galactic scale of audio related problems,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online