Your 2022 personal hifi prediction... Did it pan out??

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A TEAC ud701N arrived in Jan, replacing a NT 505, as the final piece in the puzzle.
This time last year that was my predicted path. In my case the streamer failed on my 505 putting me off the notion of putting everything in one box So plans to spend over three grand on the natural upgrade to the 505 evaporated. So now I am using a Holo Audio Spring 3 with the optional pre-amp stage. No reliance on firmware updates, discrete components for the most part so fixable in the majority of cases. That will be accompanied (after a snap decision taken last weekend) by the Holo Audio RED streamer/DDC. Holo Audio electronics with Raspberry Pi CM4 processing allowing a huge choice of streaming options ranging from the very simple Ropieee for Roon which I use, to LMS to MoOde and a plethora of other options. If It works on a Raspberry Pi, it works here. I just have to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery!😉

Reactions: newlash09

m7rso

Hath Wammed
Wammer Plus
Aug 14, 2009
LIVERPOOL, U K.
AKA
Graham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well…I planned to sell my Mowgans, which I did, but never envisaged the great time I would have setting up new systems in an effort to better the above. They were superb speakers but not in my space. I regret sticking with them so long in an effort to make them suitable. To that end though I had purchased extensive room ‘refinements’ and a lovely pair of subs….all of which made significant differences and now I could not live without these additions. I do have trouble moving stuff on though..even small things like interconnects…I really need to have a clearout. But then I think..well one of my amps..too many…. will fit the bill for any new set of speakers…too many. I have thoroughly enjoyed every swap around I have made, even if it was a step down, or away from my final goal and I can fully understand why Jerry is so enthralled with box swapping. Through all of this I haven't spent a single farthing…just reinvested in hifi. Through this year I would like to thank fellow Wammers for their help and advice, in no particular order…Andy..Bencat, Jerry..jand100, Bob ichm, Geoff Oldius, and Keith Deggie, for leaving him as the only Mabon owner on the Wam And reading all my posts.Onward and upward me lovelies…now what hifi do I need…..

BarneysDad

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 9, 2021
Melton Mowbray
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Totally settled & happy with the system.
So in recent years have had the Art Audio pre & power valve amps serviced by the maker Tom Willis.

During the summer one of the Quad 2905s electrostatic speakers started to click.
They weren't new to me so I'm guessing they're around 20 years old.
Spoke to One Thing who booked them in with one of their engineers, who works from home!
So off I went to Middleton Cheney & dropped them off at his house (he did have a serious workshop at the bottom of his garden)

Couple of panels were not good with 2 more on the way out.
So bit the bullet & had both speakers brought up to new spec.
So that was my 851N streamer budget blown.

1669973972201.jpeg

Brown panel shows how sound is generated by a series of concentric circles.
These drive a sheet of Mylar film that moves the air.

Inside of the smaller version, Quad 2805 (not mine, shown for attention)
1669974351624.jpeg

Monitor Gold Ten

Basking in the warm glow of Electron Tubes.
Wammer
Aug 6, 2012
Catfield
AKA
Stu
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It did! Sort of. A bit. 🎱🎱🎱 I planned on getting an Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge.

Then got a 2M Ginger Cartridge instead.

No planned upgrades for 2023. 😎

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most of the changes weren't planned but one long term plan that was fulfilled was the acquisition of a top Miyajima mono cartridge.
As luck would have it a dedicated Tron single generator phono stage appeared in the Wam Classifieds from the owner of another example of the same cartridge - so I bagged that as well.

Jack NSM

Last edited:
Reactions: newlash09

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well…I planned to sell my Mowgans, which I did, but never envisaged the great time I would have setting up new systems in an effort to better the above. They were superb speakers but not in my space. I regret sticking with them so long in an effort to make them suitable. To that end though I had purchased extensive room ‘refinements’ and a lovely pair of subs….all of which made significant differences and now I could not live without these additions. I do have trouble moving stuff on though..even small things like interconnects…I really need to have a clearout. But then I think..well one of my amps..too many…. will fit the bill for any new set of speakers…too many. I have thoroughly enjoyed every swap around I have made, even if it was a step down, or away from my final goal and I can fully understand why Jerry is so enthralled with box swapping. Through all of this I haven't spent a single farthing…just reinvested in hifi. Through this year I would like to thank fellow Wammers for their help and advice, in no particular order…Andy..Bencat, Jerry..jand100, Bob ichm, Geoff Oldius, and Keith Deggie, for leaving him as the only Mabon owner on the Wam And reading all my posts.Onward and upward me lovelies…now what hifi do I need…..
I am lucky I get to hear those Morgan sometimes

Reactions: m7rso

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
This time last year that was my predicted path. In my case the streamer failed on my 505 putting me off the notion of putting everything in one box So plans to spend over three grand on the natural upgrade to the 505 evaporated. So now I am using a Holo Audio Spring 3 with the optional pre-amp stage. No reliance on firmware updates, discrete components for the most part so fixable in the majority of cases. That will be accompanied (after a snap decision taken last weekend) by the Holo Audio RED streamer/DDC. Holo Audio electronics with Raspberry Pi CM4 processing allowing a huge choice of streaming options ranging from the very simple Ropieee for Roon which I use, to LMS to MoOde and a plethora of other options. If It works on a Raspberry Pi, it works here. I just have to wait 4-6 weeks for delivery!😉
I was hopeful that my experience was an unfortunate isolated case. not helped by TEAC customer service and sales moving to Germany/Austria. Communication by raising a Ticket number, which may or may not get a response. Any email from them cannot be replied to and have to raise another ticket. Third party repair centre in Oldham did not even have a maintenance manual and procurement of spares from locked down Shenzhen whistling in the wind. A nightmare. Agree, it is a pleasure to have a DAC that is not subjectEd to firmware updates. Good luck with the new Pi - beyond my skill level!

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nothing planned really until my amp failed. That got me thinking to try a different DAC. From RME to Gustard X26 Pro. Just something subjectively better than the RME to audition amps with. And I'm glad I did, loads of details just like the RME or even better, with 3D dimensionality soundstage, with kickass bass.

Then listened to a Audia Flight three S amp just yesterday from a fellow wam member and snapped it up.

Can't wait to get home and listen to some glorious music on new system.

CageyH

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2014
Toulouse, France
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I planned to make no changes, but I added a Sjostrom DCT-03 DC blocker to my Modulus 686 power amp to stop the transformer hum.

I also changed my Firebottle Kin (hybrid) pre amp for a topping Pre90 as it popped up at a price I could not refuse.

I also added some OCC speaker cables.

Next year there is no plan, and I will see what happens.

Reactions: John (big)

Leeken

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I planned to make no changes, but I added a Sjostrom DCT-03 DC blocker to my Modulus 686 power amp to stop the transformer hum.

I also changed my Firebottle Kin (hybrid) pre amp for a topping Pre90 as it popped up at a price I could not refuse.

I also added some OCC speaker cables.

Next year there is no plan, and I will see what happens.
Is your pre90 a better pre than running your Rme (I think that’s what you have) straight into the power amp?

khapahk

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2008
Linslade, Beds
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought that I was quite happy with my sytem as it stood and had no plans to change anything, unless there was a major failure anywhere. "The besy laid plans of mice and men..." and all that came into play of course, and I resisted everything except temptation !

1. A Nottingham Analogue 12" Ace Space arm came up for sale and that is now in situ on my Spacedeck.

2. A newish pair of ProAc D20R floorstanders found their way through my front door to replace my D18s.

3. One of the classic amplifiers for use with ProAcs is the Sugden A21 and when the seller of the D20Rs put his Sugden up for sale I just had to scratch that particular itch as well !

So. all in all, my plan was completly blown out of the water. Luckily there have been no major kit failures so I can live with it !

Reactions: JANDL100

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
More or less … managed to get hold of a Linn Kiko at the right price and colour after much waiting. I re-signed for Deezer for a year after an offer I couldn’t refuse. And a portable radio. Now I don’t hanker after anything else and to be honest need to clear out some of my excess gear … shameless plug for you all check out the classifieds 😃

Last edited:

Lee M

was/is the purplepleaser
Wammer Plus
Nov 6, 2013
Manchester
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My downgrade was successful. Really enjoying my cheaper Bluesound Powernode and Q Acoustics.

Need to sell my Vertere TT, Sugden CDP and phono.

I might even sell the Bluesound and Q acoustics and get a sound bar to make better use of the room. Time will tell on that one.

• Confused
Reactions: Alexxus and garn63

ff1d1l

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2010
Snowdonia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had no real plans to change anything, except maybe a dac, if I saw anything nice second hand.

First off was a Young dac, not with the battery supply unfortunately, but with an upgraded power supply.
As suspected this showed the previous dac, a MF v90 a clean pair of heels. And the Wyred4Sound I was using between Yamaha multidisc player and dac still, even with the much better dac, gave a worthwhile improvement.

Next after missing an Audiolab CDT, the vendor kindly alerted me to a demo model Brady's was selling for less than some people were asking for s/h.
It duly arrived, and gave a very obvious uplift in SQ, I was very happy, and the system sounded better than it ever had by quite some margin. Who would have thought houskeeping of digits would pay off so handsomely?

So, although the system now sounded pretty ace, there was some uneveness in the bass, a room issue.

When a Dspeaker antimode 2 came up on a forum, I jumped. While I was awaiting arrival, I pondered exactly how to connect it, utilising the Young dac and the Wyred4Sound. I went for CDT to Dspeaker, digital out, to Wyred4Sound to Young dac, out to my pre, a silver S & B transformer pre I had built myself.

This made the largest difference of any upgrade yet. Less bass, but it went deeper. More space and depth, bigger and more solid and palpable soundstage. Clarity plus.

The final purchase, and the most expensive, was a s/h Alegri plus. The silver traffo pre was retired to my workshop system, displacing a Khozmo to good effect.

As far as the Alegri went, it was the poorest sound for pound improvement - better space, more delicate treble, more space around bass instuments. But a far smaller transformation than the dspeaker had wrought.

The rest of the system is bi wired bi amped JBL 4430 clones with Harmon Kardon PA 2400 amps. Cabled with cotton dielectric silver/copper interconnects of my own construction.

Workshop system - Urei 811As with home built subs, Luxkit amp, Sony 557 ES, Hitachi ft-5500 mkii tuner.

Last edited:

CageyH

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2014
Toulouse, France
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is your pre90 a better pre than running your Rme (I think that’s what you have) straight into the power amp?
I have no idea, as I have never tried it that way.
If I was digital only, I would not have the Pre90, but the RME does not have an analogue input.

John (big)

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2012
West London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I thought just a little tinkering needed, January 15v MCRU LPSU for the Caiman SEG with clock/supercap's + phono sockets & Dorado 3; then the icing on the cake replacing the 9 pin valves on my pre & power amps with 8 pin 6SL7 & 6SN7 valves, like Goldilocks just right...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.