Linn Owners

Your Linn system : pro's & con's

d88

Wammer
Dec 2, 2020
Scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was going to start a thread  regarding my Linn ownership 6 months in  being completely new to the Linn ecosystem, however, I gathered that this could be expanded to other Linn product's . I must stress this is not a Linn bashing exercise and hopefully will be constructive. 

So what questions should I ask (and answer)

1. What Linn products do you have and how long have you had them for?.

2. What made you choose Linn?

3. What do you like about your Linn system ?

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be approved on. 

5. If you could speak directly to Gilad Tiefenbrun, what new product would you like to see, or existing product improve ?

for myself 

1. Linn Majik DSM (4) 2020, Linn Majik 140 speakers-  6 months of ownership

2. I had trialled  NAD and Naim music streamers, however, for one reason or another they did not suit my needs/tastes. The next option at the time was to look at the Linn. I nearly bought a Selekt DSM, however as this was my first foray into Linn, I decided to play it safe and opt for the Majik DSM. With the money saved, I purchased a new set of 140 speakers, rather than the 109's  simply because I wanted a little more low frequency bass, a decision which I'm glad I made.

3. I like how it's compact, versatile and flexible to suit various musical inputs. Of course I like the sound signature and although this is a personal preference, I like how the majik dsm brings out a little more detail over the NAD and Naim units. One thing really does stand out for me is how stable the Linn system has been in comparison to the other's and one excellent feature is having more than enough AV inputs.

4. Of course no item is perfect and a few things stand out. I would have preferred a couple more s/pidf /Toslink inputs round the back. Tunein radio does have it's limitations' and unfortunately does not have my own favourite internet radio stations and  Ideally I would have preferred a sub out.  With regards to my 140 majik speaker's, Linn should really be supplying the upgrade speaker stand as standard.

5. The Majik ecosystem is Linn's entry point. Perhaps from a software point of view it could be literally be plug and play without the need for dealer input . Linn claims  "just add speaker's" . Strictly speaking that is not true, you need a computer to run Konfig & SO etc.  I understand for the higher up system's there is definitely a requirement for this, but is it needed for it's entry level system where ease of use is more likely to keep the consumer happy? 

Anyway, just some quick thoughts', feel free to answer any question or add any  as you see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andyt916

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2020
Hertfordshire, UK
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So what questions should I ask (and answer)

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be approved on. 

5. If you could speak directly to Gilad Tiefenbrun, what new product would you like to see, or existing product improve ?
Interesting questions....

1. LP12, purchased in 1987, recently upgraded to close to Akurate spec (could have been sooner other than despite a decent income, some poor life-choices  :) ).

2. I had a Rega Planar 3, and everything that I read and heard at the time pointed to LP12 as the "ultimate".

3. On a "quiet" evening it makes my toes tap, on a slightly less "quiet" evening it gets us up dancing.

4. Nothing, for me - I'm very happy with what I have.

5. My next upgrade thoughts turn to amplification. If I'm not ready for Exakt, Linn have a fine range of phono stages and power amplifiers, but to fill the "gap" in the middle I have to turn to eBay for a Kontrol pre-amp. Are there any plans to fill this "gap"?

Newton John

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome the Linn ecosystem, D88.

1. Many people here have already put details of their systems in their Wigwam info. I have Klimax/Komris. I’ve had the bulk of this system for about twenty years, although there have been changes and upgrades along the way.

2. I’d already had some success in upgrading and customising turntables for my rudimentary first hi-fi system, when I heard my first LP12 in 1982. It gave me the same buzz I got from offshore pirate pop radio in the sixties and stoned album listening sessions at university in the seventies, so I bought it the same day. Some fifteen years or so later, after a diversion into a pristine sounding but not so exciting Meridian 500 series system, I started acquiring other Linn kit to go with my LP12.

3. It gives me the buzz I mentioned in the previous answer and makes a wide range of music accessible. It also has all the hi-fi things like good imaging, depth, dynamics, deep bass, etc.

4. The upgrades that could improve my system, Dynamik, Nest Generation KSH, Organik are already available. The only thing I don’t like is that they are expensive.

5. I have spoken to Gilad on a couple of occasions, but the suggestion I’d make to him now (other than reducing prices😊) would be an upgrade to the DSM enabling it to play surround sound files?

Nestor Turton

Nestor Turton
Wammer
Jan 30, 2019
Nowhere in Particular
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn kit is in my Wigwam Info except for MSDM which I use in the bedroom with some Eclipse speakers and Classic Movie System (oldest version outputs composite video over SCART only). First LP12 I bought was in 1979. For me Linn provides me a trouble free music replay system, which Space Optimisation adapts to my room. 

Not much I'd change, but would like Organik to flow down to more affordable amplification such as my ADSM; scratch filter in Urika II would be nice. 

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Welcome to Linn D88

Here goes:

1. What Linn products do you have and how long have you had them for?.

‘I currently have a Linn Katalyst Exakt Surround system with Akubariks in the front, an Akurate 225 centre channel speaker and passive Akudoriks driven by an Akurate Exaktbox I, which I have been building up over the last 7 years or so. My first Linn system  goes back about 20 years

2. What made you choose Linn?

The dealer was very persistent. 

My Linn system has been a test bed for my cockamamie ideas on how to get it to sound better. Sometimes I even listen to the music. Just kidding 😂

Sound quality is sublime, and hope someday it becomes full-lime.

I love my Linn system, as it is, but am constantly tempting fate by bring home new HiFi components to try out in my system. Recently, I brought home the new Klimax DSM A/V, which was fantastic 

5. If you could speak directly to Gilad Tiefenbrun, what new product would you like to see, or existing product improve ?

I have met Gilad many times, but there is a communication gap, as I don’t speak with a fake Scottish accent very well. I have suggested that he probably would have made a lot more money if they had started a distillery and made Scotch instead of making HiFi kit.  🤪

JRS

Mr
Wammer
Dec 1, 2018
Exmoor
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have three versions of the Majik streamer in three separate systems - two including an integrated amp and one not

Reputation and recommendation

Quality of sound

The control point software is very poor, especially for Windows or Android-based systems. Also, synchronising a music library across three separate systems is non-trivial. I would also like a system that my wife felt was easy to use. As is evident from the (now-independent) forums, there remains too many glitches, often but not only associated with streamers seeming to disappear from a network. (By the way, my wife is computer literate but not a software engineer - I should not have to tell her to check the subnet, etc.)

I would simply make the point to GT that when I buy a high-end car, I do not have to find another supplier of either the engine management software or the dashboard. I find Linn's uncompromising take-it-or-leave-it attitude rather arrogant. Ironically, it probably makes the products more niche than in many ways they deserve to be.

• Upvote
Reactions: Billz

Eldarboy

Classicist
Wammer
Oct 15, 2018
Hamilton, ON, Canada
AKA
Lewis Silvestri
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1. Akurate system with 242 loudspeakers. (LP12 long gone).

2. Listened to a Linn system and it was easily the best sounding when compared to other brands. 

3. The detailed sound with great separation is much loved.

4. The fact that I have to play around with SO to achieve it is still immensely frustrating. It should, after proper speaker placement, sound exceptional out of the box, not shite as it does.

5. Many of us would be happy to see Linn develop an affordable headphone amplifier.

Carl E

Carl E
New Wammer
Nov 24, 2019
Oslo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
1985:  LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo 1/LK1/LK2/Kan; 1990 (ca): Karik/Numerik/Kairn/Klout/Isobarik; 1995: Majik CD/Exotik/3xKlout/Aktive AV5140 (later Majik 140s)
Present:  LP12 "Majikurate" (Karousel/Kore/Jelco/Akurate Radikal/Adikt/Lejonklou Slipsik 7.1), Akurate DSM Hub/Majik Exaktbox-I/Akurate 212/Majik 126 Exatbox Sub

2. What made you choose Linn?  Local dealer and excellent service from all dealers I have had contact with

3. What do you like about your Linn system ?  Upgradeability 

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be approved on.   Speed up trickle down of Organik to Akurate level

5. If you could speak directly to Gilad Tiefenbrun, what new product would you like to see, or existing product improve ?  I would ask him to focus more on the mid/high end enthusiast customer segment and less on "lifestyle" products.  Add new speaker line to replace the 3-way array speakers.  

Reactions: Ruben

Stalaktite

Wammer
Dec 6, 2018
France
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all, I like this thread so I'll give my own answers :)

1. What Linn products do you have and how long have you had them for?

Linn Majik DSM/3 + Majik 109, for the past three years.

I wanted a simple one-box system with lots of inputs (including several HDMI so it could act as a hub for my video projector), good sound and actual high fidelity, and front firing not-too-big bookshelf speakers to put on my bookshelves :p

With all these prerequisites and my budget, this system was the only one my dealer made me audition. I loved it and bought it. I wished I had other options to compare to, but I trusted that dealer and besides I was too lazy to go into a long search with other dealers after listening to this one which was perfectly fitting.

It's pretty straightfoward, stable, sounds good, and works well with Roon which was part of my investment.

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be improved on. 

The Kazoo app is buggy on my Android, and quite ugly on all platforms. As it has been discussed in length here, considering the price we pay (specifically for Klimax owners) it would deserve better software. That's why I decided to go with Roon.

I also think Linn products are a bit overpriced, but it's the price to pay for their philosophy (upgradable products, not many concessions on design, building as much as possible in Scotland with Scottish materials and scottish employees, not exporting production, and so on) and I respect it. Anyway it seems to me that many competitors are as overpriced or worse with less excuses.

I'd like to see a new Linn sub (maybe with exact ports?), but mostly I'd ask him to please not give up on the upgrade philosphy :p

(My Majik DSM/3 is not upgradeable to anything, which is a bit sad but does make sense I guess as the new one is completely new...)

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
^^^^ The MDSM/3 is upgradeable to Exakt!

Classik, Katans, Aktiv kardz, K400, silvers, 5125, 6100D, 109's, K600, 6100D Aktiv kardz, Ninkas, MDSM/2, Komponent 104's, Majikurate Exaktbox-i, 212's, AEDSM, Exaktbox sub, Majik 126. Are we there yet dad?

One look at that list says I'm never satisfied, and that might be true. Sunday I researched Zee's new wireless network setup. I was just lying on the sofa, not "in position". Several times the system just reached out and demanded I listen. It's just that good to pull me out of an internet induced trance. 

But then sometimes all the resplendent detail overwhelms to the point of fatigue. Maybe I'm listening too hard?

If I met the CEO I would have one very specific recommendation. I think it would solve many of the above problems. All my devices are given static IP's on my LAN. Kazoo should be able to store the "last good configuration", and attempt to connect to that again upon startup. Sure, sometimes I forget to turn on Wi-Fi and am still on 5g, so, my bad. Then it could, after checking the last good, go off in search of greener UPnP pastures in the hopes of making a connection. But if I'm on my network, which never changes, that last good configuration is always gonna work. 

I'm not a code monkey, so I'm sure there may be some reason why this can't be implemented, and this might explain why the "waiting for rooms" has been a bug bear for myself, and myriad other angrier commenters, as long as I've had a DSM. UPnP is hard.

If we users can input our (semi permanent) credentials for the Linn app login, could we be able to add the necessary static IP's for the common (or many) control point(s), DSM, and NAS please? And that is no doubt burdensome for many readers of this thread, as would be assigning static IP's. But a query for last good configuration would require no input by users. Very rudimentary LAN configuration steps like this could be a service done by dealers upon setup. Users without NAS's would only really need the IP of the DSM to be static. This might not be doable on carrier supplied routers/gateways, but for users like me, it would only require urging by someone doing the install to input the new device into a table in my router firmware. Non nerdz eyes glaze over here. 

I will say my OPPO 105D is much less reliable than Linn in the software department, and Nestor has mentioned Naim software was a nightmare for him often, so nobody has this figured out. It's hard!

But every time I have to go in and change the pulldown in settings back to 192.168.x.x because kazoo has been hoodwinked by Blockada into thinking that is THE network, I scream WHY?!

Last good configuration. Period!

chickenlogic

B’gogck
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Kalamazoo, MI
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have a pretty much top of the line late 90’s LK system, but with Aktiv Kabers and an AV5103  

I heard a friend’s dad’s LP12/NAD3020/DQ-10 system  

It’s very coherent and and draws me naturally into the music. It sounds fun and not clinically over detailed  

I think my digital source could be improved, but not cheaply   My hot-rodded Numerik setup is great, and I’m not sure I can top it unless I get a Klimax level DS  

I’d like to see Linn jump in feet first with Class-D power amps, as the current Majik and Akurate amps leave me a bit cold.  Make it sound like a Klout, but run cooler. 
I’d also like to see a Komri 2 as a statement for the 50th anniversary.   

Little_Wong

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018

ADSM since 2012, 4200 and 109s since around 2010

Heard an LP12 back in the eighties and was hooked

The "boogie" factor

Linn control app

Two way speakers.

Ruben

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
New Wammer
Aug 13, 2020
the Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SELEKT DSM with Integrated Power Amp (second amp is ordered), Majik 140 since May this year.

Dealer demo in 2015 with Majik DSM Space Optimisation and Majik 140 powered by Majik 4100 and the innovative product development.

The ease with which music is played, more than sufficient power and the enormous detail reproduction. And of course the upgradeability.

Ability to save/store music directly with DSM on SD card or SS drive (Also to be played when there is no network connection).

I am interested in an affordable headphone amplifier (as Selekt cartridge maybe).
Linn Records library available on Qobuz, as promised last year
😊

Reactions: uk030

Paul123

New Wammer
Mar 30, 2021
Akubarik exakt (4 years)
Akurate Lp12 (3 years)

40+ years hifi brand
Linn releases streamer early, i don't have much CDs. My agent gives me a lot of free music.

Legendary LP12
Good build quality

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be approved on. 
Except LP12, Akubarik exakt is over priced compare to its sound quality. There are a lot equal not say better sound speakers in market but in cheaper price.
Linn streamer is easy be influenced by network cables, switches etc. While some other brand handles those signals better.

5. If you could speak directly to Gilad Tiefenbrun, what new product would you like to see, or existing product improve?
Pls upgrade 350 and akubarik speakers. They are too old designs (3k array) and nowadays you can have much better materials for remarkable performance speaker units.

Pls focus more on China mainland market, you sir has no idea how much discussion / love audiophiles put in Linn non-official QQ chat group (QQ group id: 283846837) every day. 

Reactions: Ruben

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn Majik DSM/2 (4 years)
Linn Majik 140 with upgraded stands (1 month)

I was not really looking for a Linn product at all. All I new about Linn was that their products were too expensive, that the LP12 was a overpriced clone of a Thorens TT and that they had a dedicated group of followers/nerds willing to spend $$$$ for pretty standard hifi equipment :p
I was looking for a 2 channel (stereo only) AVR with HDMI input/output AND good phono stage AND good network music features AND within my budget AND all these features within one single reasonably small box
It turned out that at that time there were no real alternatives to a Linn Majik DSM available.

DSM: Good build quality, frequent upgrades of firmware, 5  year warranty (although I didn't have to make use of it)
140: look (high gloss!) and feel (I love the sound...)

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be approved on. 
more reasonable pricing: I would like to replace my Thorens 126 TT with a LP12 Majik (entry model!) but still have difficulties to justify the price and buy even this entry model in view of the (comparatively) small improvement in sound. 

5. If you could speak directly to Gilad Tiefenbrun, what new product would you like to see, or existing product improve?

Record cleaning machine :D

Bladvoc

Wammer
Mar 16, 2017
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

see signature

started with a basik tt about 30 years ago, then genki, added a wakonda and lk14 then ended up with full aktive lk and ninka system. Eventually upgraded everything to where its at now

upgradability (up to a point, massive jump from where i am now to klimax so probably wont bother, concentrate on the lp12 instead) and SO2 allows infinite fine tuning (although need to be careful as this can detract from the enjoyment of the music)

not much, control point perhaps

perhaps there can be something between akurate and klimax, also concerned about the speaker range, nothing between 140's and akubariks, and why no passive speakers

Reactions: Ruben and JensA

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I'm currently running a Klimax LP12 into a Katalyst Akubarik system. I do have a Next Gen Klimax System Hub on order. I started out with Linn when I purchased a pair of Index Plus speaker in 1987. I bought my LP12 used in 1991. It was a 1975 vintage example with a Grace 707 tonearm. The only upgrade that it had was the Nirvana springs kit. I went all Linn in 1994 when I got a Majik-I integrated amp to replace a Naim Nait 2. Speakers were Kan IIs.

Everything in my system now was purchased since 2018 after I retired and moved from Austin, Texas to the Vancouver area, everything except the top plate and outer platter which are original to the 1975 LP12.

It was 100% the dealer in Dallas, Texas; Audio Concepts. Finding the right dealer is the most important factor in getting your system right.

3. What do you like about your Linn system?

Even though this stuff is expensive, I consider Linn kit to be good value. I've heard other systems that cost much more than mine, but don't make music nearly as well.

4. Conversely, what do you not like or feel your Linn item could be improved on?

I really can't come up with anything. I have much confidence in the engineers at Linn. I'm sure they are designing things that I can't even imagine.

Perhaps better (more powerful) amps for the Akubariks. Akubariks have a total of 600W each. Klimax 350s are 3000W! This could be incorporated with the upcoming Organik upgrade. But I'm sure there are good (engineering based) reasons why things are the way that they are. I guess this answers #4 as well.

Reactions: Ruben and JensA

Billz

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 11, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have three versions of the Majik streamer in three separate systems - two including an integrated amp and one not

Reputation and recommendation

Quality of sound

The control point software is very poor, especially for Windows or Android-based systems. Also, synchronising a music library across three separate systems is non-trivial. I would also like a system that my wife felt was easy to use. As is evident from the (now-independent) forums, there remains too many glitches, often but not only associated with streamers seeming to disappear from a network. (By the way, my wife is computer literate but not a software engineer - I should not have to tell her to check the subnet, etc.)

I would simply make the point to GT that when I buy a high-end car, I do not have to find another supplier of either the engine management software or the dashboard. I find Linn's uncompromising take-it-or-leave-it attitude rather arrogant. Ironically, it probably makes the products more niche than in many ways they deserve to be.
Apart from @JRS answer to Q1, I pretty much echo all he says. The biggest bugbear for me has always been the fact that my wife does not find it easy to play her own music. The only way I can set it up for her is to use Pins. This gives her a choice of 6 albums which I have to change for her every so often. The high end car is a good analogy, I have a Merc and my wife can drive it without a second thought. 

My answer to Q1 is in my WAM profile.

Reactions: TooManyCatweazles

dikki

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2019
Amsterdam
www.dikki.nl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Partly akurate level LP12 / 530s with MDSM/3

Reputation and dealer

That it is also 'women friendly' (oh oh...) and gets out of the way. I am a programmer in my professional life. I don't want to be one in my private life. 

Integration with Roon should be easier. Right now both Roon and Linn point to each other for a solution, but I think it is silly the remote control is not working well when using Roon, and switching to a different channel is a disaster. Linn creates beautiful and sturdy hardware, but in the software sometimes they're missing a few points (I'm looking at you Kazoo / Linn app / Config!!)

I would urge for a better care of the software. That goes for SO in Konfig, but also about accessing the control point. I know this has not been standardised at all, and all brands seem to have different solution to streaming audio in general, but I think Linn could with its experience be in a position where they can really contribute to this. Lead the way to a path of better integration, using standards. Make it possible to connect using any streaming service you like: Tidal / Qobuz / Primephonic / Soundcloud / Spotify / Apple / Amazon / Youtube / Whatever. Linn was groundbreaking with streaming when they started, they could do so again. 

Given the interest GT has in streaming audio, I am sure he can lead Linn to a more ambitious path in the development of it. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online