My world is full of spots
Wammer Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Mere, Wiltshire
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Had a message the other day from ITV informing me that ITV Hub will no longer work on my Panasonic Full HD SmartTV after the end of September.... Apparently they are upgrading the service, presumably higher resolution that my TV doesn’t support. Anyone else had this email from ITV.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like a plan to make money to me upgrade then charge to use it🤔

Fantasque

Wammer Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Mere, Wiltshire
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sounds like a plan to make money to me upgrade then charge to use it🤔
I’d have thought they would want as many people as possible to be able to access the platform if that was the case. Luckily I don’t watch much telly so it won’t really affect me.

Reactions: MVJ

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You really can't rely on the inbuilt apps on any TV to last the duration of your ownership. Worth investing in an external HDMI device for all your on demand needs. Performance will be a lot quicker as well.

ACS

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 30, 2017
West Midlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Had a message the other day from ITV informing me that ITV Hub will no longer work on my Panasonic Full HD SmartTV after the end of September.... Apparently they are upgrading the service, presumably higher resolution that my TV doesn’t support. Anyone else had this email from ITV.
I've not had the message but unfortunately smart TVs don't stay smart for very long. It's better to download the app to your mobile phone and cast to your TV. If your TV doesn't have Chromecast built in you can buy a Google Chromecast dongle for about £20-£30 on eBay. As stated in Warszawa's post above, it's much quicker.

Last edited:

Fantasque

Wammer Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Mere, Wiltshire
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You really can't rely on the inbuilt apps on any TV to last the duration of your ownership. Worth investing in an external HDMI device for all your on demand needs. Performance will be a lot quicker as well.
Good call, I am going to get a new Freesat box, annoyingly there is no terrestrial reception where we live.

Fantasque

Wammer Plus
Jan 22, 2016
Mere, Wiltshire
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've not had the message but unfortunately smart TVs don't stay smart for very long. It's better to download the app to your mobile phone and cast to your TV. If your TV doesn't have Chromecast built in you can by a Google Chromecast dongle for about £20-£30 on eBay. As stated in Warszawa's post above, it's much quicker.
I do have an external Google Chromecast dongle attached to the TV which I do cast to from my NAS, got a horrible feeling that the IOS on my ancient iPad is to old to run the latest ITV Hub app.

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had similar issues in the past when support for apps on older TVs lapse, and like you I’ve tried a Chromecast. We still use that occasionally, but I’ve found the Amazon Firestick better all round. It comes in several editions, lite, regular, 4K etc., and they’re regularly reduced. Worth a punt, they work very well wirelessly and have all the latest streaming apps.

Reactions: Maverick

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had similar issues in the past when support for apps on older TVs lapse, and like you I’ve tried a Chromecast. We still use that occasionally, but I’ve found the Amazon Firestick better all round. It comes in several editions, lite, regular, 4K etc., and they’re regularly reduced. Worth a punt, they work very well wirelessly and have all the latest streaming apps.
Thanks for the reminder. I've just ordered a Firestick - £24.99 ATM. HD not 4k.

Reactions: Nopiano

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've not had the message but unfortunately smart TVs don't stay smart for very long. It's better to download the app to your mobile phone and cast to your TV. If your TV doesn't have Chromecast built in you can buy a Google Chromecast dongle for about £20-£30 on eBay. As stated in Warszawa's post above, it's much quicker.
Is the Chromecast run from the TV or does one need to use a smartphone or tablet?

maddog_007

maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dumped terrestrial TV for good as its mind numbingly awful.
I have a Netflix 4K UHD sub and a wee Android box which you can install KODI on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.