A component so magical it was a religious experience!

Carlbkk1

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 27, 2014
Bangkok
AKA
Carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tenor Audio mono blocks on Klipschorns is close to magic. Scale, dynamics, clarity. Bass like your hearing a Fender Precision on a Traynor amp from a 6 feet distance.
Very interesting amps and huge wooden things. A pair on the bay for £17k.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Beolab 90. Earth shattering, mind blowing, David vs Goliath, scrummy midrange, veil lifting, skirt lifting, cable lifting, audiophiliac nirvana, religious, road to Damascus, pratty prat prat…and all other audiophile magazine hyperbole etc….
Scary looking speakers, don't think I'd want to take my eye off em, in case one of their dark hexagon webs reached out and put me in stasis.......:eek:

• Haha
Reactions: newlash09

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A long long time ago I heard a Goldring G900IGC, the first line contact stylus I had ever come across. WOW. Needless to say I saved up my pocket money and bought one.
I find it interesting when people say they "heard" a component in a system they are not completely familiar with. I think it's a psychological thing where people who focus on changing one component think that they are listening to that when they hear an unfamiliar system.

I'm as guilty as any, when I hear a system I think I'm listening to the speakers as that's what I usually play around with in my system, but of course I'm listening to everything (including the room).

I'm making a big assumption that you heard the cart in a dealer demo, show, mate's house etc you might have course have had it at home on demo (unlikely with a cart?) or a mate brought it round. Or know your mate's system intimately. Apologies if not the case.

I'd still reckon I've got a valid point, just not applicable in this case 😂

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, they are the Triangle Genese Lyrr. 👍
Have to say they are a lovely looking speaker. Good value too, looking at Richer sounds price.
I am interested in Triangle, but not any easy speaker to get a dem. The Antal seem good value, especially the anniversary.

Reactions: bigfish786

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had first seen the Genese quartet over 10 years ago and thought they looked amazing. I didn’t know if it was style above substance, but I needn’t have worried. They are excellent sounding, delivering a degree of realism and clarity my Focal Chorus couldn’t.

Reactions: hiesteem

DavidR888

Wammer
Aug 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This will sound like heresy to some, and nonsense to others. I was an avowed cable sceptic. I was given some Titan Audio power cables to try out in my system - not quite a religious experience, but certainly made a massive positive difference to sound quality.

Reactions: bigrod and JANDL100

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The best examples are when it is least expected.

I was a tonearm sceptic, I was using something decent (Tabriz), surely it can make that much difference. About 10 seconds with a Morch DP-6 put that one to bed as a widescreen techincolor wave hit the listening chair.

Secondly - and sorry to keep banging the drum on this - isolating with springs under the speakers. It's sounds so unquestionably right all of a sudden that there is just no going back.

robin

Good bye
Wammer Plus
Dec 6, 2006
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Getting a audio note 2x1 DAC, I had a chord 64, then a border patrol, very good for the price, but when I got the audio note, I was very , very , impressed, stopped me listening to vinyl much for the last 10 months, but I am playing vinyl tonight

macfan

LP12 Newbie
Wammer
Feb 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Going to go beyond a single component and site a whole integrated system where each component is an important part of the whole sound.

cello1.jpg
This is a full stack Cello Music and Film Systems rig and would date back to the early and mid 90s. This is not the exact system I listened to but shows all the components. The large silver boxes on either side of central rack are the the amps and their power supplies. The silver box with the knobs in the center of the rack is a EQ that found its way into some mastering houses in its day. The next silver box down is a modular preamp - that could even be fitted with tape playback electronics for such machines as a Studer A80 or Ampex ATR-100. The bottom box is the power supply for the preamp. You could get smaller speakers than these as there were 3 models.

Oh, the two small boxes I the rack are a DAC and power supply. These are more or less rebranded Apogee DAC's of the day that used Burr Brown DACs at the time.

This was a very impressive and commanding system that has not been equaled in all these years. This particular system was for sale a while back but the challenging thing buying something like this is service and support. Still expensive in 2022 if something went really wrong it would be a bad day indeed.

Mark Levison was the founder after he left the company with his namesake. He was a very colorful character to chat with on the phone.

BalooToo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never had a religious experience, if you cannot show it you don't know it.

But after years of listening and owning some very nice and expensive belt drive turntables I heard an idler and was amazed at the difference. Never had a belt drive since.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paragon valve preamp (on loan many years ago) .. a truly magical preamplifer (the owner would not sell it to me)
Gale GS401 speakers in 1975 (I finally got a pair in 78)
My Art Impressions 21 years ago .. still feels magical today as well

Reactions: robin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.