Speakers - cost of components Vs the box?

Ethos

Wammer
Jan 26, 2022
SW London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many years back, I had heard that for most commercially available speakers, the bulk of the budget goes towards creating and decorating the box - with a much smaller portion going towards the components and drivers. I'm not including the manufacturer's overheads and profit and the retailer margins - just the cost of building the speaker. Just heard the same thing repeated from a pretty well known reviewer.

Would anyone know how true this is?

Reactions: lindsayt

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Depends on the speaker. Cabinets certainly can be costly, for many reasons. There again, the drive units can also be costly. For example, let's suppose a pair of Seas White Diamond tweeters are used; they'll be over £5k I would imagine.

So, the answer, as ever, is: it depends.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can imagine that being the case. Don't think there is much in woofer design for most companies, and I can only think of a few companies that develop their own tweeter.
Save for a bit of bracing and internal dampening, making a well constructed cabinet has to be the priority. However I would suggest this area has significant impact on the sound quality.
When I think of Tannoy speakers especially the Eaton's they ain't pretty, but boy are they well made and have very solid cabinets.

Reactions: Ethos

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think saying ‘most commercially available speakers’ is quite accurate as most speakers are built to a budget. Though this becomes less true as you go up the ladder…

Bodgit

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 27, 2019
Woking
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd tend to agree with that, most speaker manufacturers buy in the drivers and install them into their own cabinets. However, I would also factor into the price, the design costs which I know are a one off, but have to be recouped.

Reactions: hiesteem and Ethos

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think the most cost effective upgrade you can make to budget speakers is to improve the crossover components. The cabinets and drivers tend to be OK, but decent capacitors, resistors and air cored inductors would raise the bill of materials cost too much when the speaker needs to retail for at least five times as much as the cost of the parts to build it.

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was certainly true back in the 70s and 80s
A decent box made by Wharfedale with quality veneers might take 4 coats of lacquer to get the desired finish , this does include sanding sealers and drying times and denibbing between coats . Could take 4 days and then they have to be handled with extreme care to prevent scratches and dents and obviously if you’re making a lot you need a lot of dust free space to store them during drying between coats ..
The drivers probably take an hour at the most to put in ..60% of any manufacturing costs in the UK is employee wages

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be nice to have a "universal speaker cabinet" with a removable front, which could take all kinds of different speaker units and crossovers. That way you could keep the boxes and just upgrade the units. This would reduce wastage from all kinds of redundant speaker boxes which just go to landfill. I'm surprised no enterprising company has used this idea. Just needs a really good medium sized box, well damped and good looking with curved sides.

I'm really tempted to make such a box, though it would be a lot of work. One way of doing it would be to fasten the front on with 19" rackmount frames so you would screw on the front with the usual M6 rackmount screws. Very solid. In fact I wish I had made a pair of universal boxes years ago so I would have been living with all the benefits of upgradable speakers in the years since. But back then I used panel speakers.

If anyone has ideas for such a box or knows of a ready made one, send me a PM!

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For example, and in terms of fit and finish, these Audio Notes are nothing short of ‘Exquisite’!

Attachments

• AF99A79C-4633-4ABB-8508-FB94E8F5A2C8.jpeg
    AF99A79C-4633-4ABB-8508-FB94E8F5A2C8.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • DB86FB5B-E8CE-417A-B30C-D0B4863C4E6A.jpeg
    DB86FB5B-E8CE-417A-B30C-D0B4863C4E6A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14
Reactions: Ethos and Nativebon

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would be nice to have a "universal speaker cabinet" with a removable front, which could take all kinds of different speaker units and crossovers. That way you could keep the boxes and just upgrade the units. This would reduce wastage from all kinds of redundant speaker boxes which just go to landfill. I'm surprised no enterprising company has used this idea. Just needs a really good medium sized box, well damped and good looking with curved sides.

I'm really tempted to make such a box, though it would be a lot of work. One way of doing it would be to fasten the front on with 19" rackmount frames so you would screw on the front with the usual M6 rackmount screws. Very solid. In fact I wish I had made a pair of universal boxes years ago so I would have been living with all the benefits of upgradable speakers in the years since. But back then I used panel speakers.

I'm sort of hoping to go this way for my study system. The primary bass cabinets will be designed for 1 driver unit (probably 10" volt as I have those) only so as to best match the thiel-small parameters but the mid and tweeter section will be designe dto be as flexible as I can as these are not so sensitive to box volume and the final volume can be tweaked a little by adding items inside the cabinet to reduce it. I'm thinking of a box with a removable front baffle so that only teh baffle needs making for different drivers and similar to something like this method. 1653392155245.png

Reactions: Ethos and pmcuk

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very happy with my speakers at the moment, but if I do upgrade in the future would definitely be DIY.
Better parts better everything, and relatively better performance compared to mass produced one's.

Ethos

Wammer
Jan 26, 2022
SW London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What an interesting idea - a universal box! Perhaps available in 3 sizes to accomodate different scale speakers? That said, my sample of the speaker brands I saw on display at The Audio Lounge earlier today showed a huge disparity in box design! They had Spendor with their vintage style enclosures with thin walls that are meant to contribute to the sound, ATC with the curved walls, YG with the thick Aluminium based design and Avant Garde!

Fully agree about the box being a significant determinant of the sound quality - I recently put in Dynaudio in-wall speakers into my new home theatre system and rather than putting them into the wall, I created a rectangular MDF box (technically 4 boxes) on the wall to frame the TV and installed the 3 front speakers into that. I just take issue with paying silly money for the 6 layers of automotive gloss etc...

The cost of the box definitely has me thinking about going back to panel based speakers - where you'd imagine more of the budget is going towards the components.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently put in Dynaudio in-wall speakers into my new home theatre system and rather than putting them into the wall, I created a rectangular MDF box (technically 4 boxes) on the wall to frame the TV and installed the 3 front speakers into that.
Sounds interesting. Pictures please :). Maybe post in the "From your listening chair thread" on this very forum.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Different drivers require a different box volume. But if you were to make the volume adjustable then it might be possible to use one box with different drivers. You'd also need an interchangeable panel for the different ports.
And you could use Class D amp packs and electronic crossovers to make things even easier.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What an interesting idea - a universal box! Perhaps available in 3 sizes to accomodate different scale speakers? That said, my sample of the speaker brands I saw on display at The Audio Lounge earlier today showed a huge disparity in box design! They had Spendor with their vintage style enclosures with thin walls that are meant to contribute to the sound, ATC with the curved walls, YG with the thick Aluminium based design and Avant Garde!

Fully agree about the box being a significant determinant of the sound quality - I recently put in Dynaudio in-wall speakers into my new home theatre system and rather than putting them into the wall, I created a rectangular MDF box (technically 4 boxes) on the wall to frame the TV and installed the 3 front speakers into that. I just take issue with paying silly money for the 6 layers of automotive gloss etc...

The cost of the box definitely has me thinking about going back to panel based speakers - where you'd imagine more of the budget is going towards the components.
You can't really assume that a panel speaker would sound better than an equal cost dynamic speaker due to the lower cabinet cost, as the driver technology is so different their costs are not directly comparable. The sounds are subjectively very different as well making any comparison meaningless beyond your own preference.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For example, and in terms of fit and finish, these Audio Notes are nothing short of ‘Exquisite’!
Nah, the blue cones clash with the veneer. ;)
Edited; couldn't spell clash. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
  • Haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.