Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All too often, I fall into the habit of using the front USB port on the Marantz to listen to music, there’s hundreds of albums on there ripped as mp3 320kbps . They sound very good indeed, something I believe KI had worked on with the SA14S1SE. 
but, stick an actual CD in there and you get a sparkle with the music, and a bigger soundstage, bass seems to go a bit lower too. I really need to get off my bum a bit more often, and use the CD drive a bit more often. If I’d seen a friend or someone just using the usb I’d have though they were nuts 😂

Last edited by a moderator:

billthewiz

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Scotland
AKA
billy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah I can understand it’s convenient. I’ve got a Marantz but older no usb but I find myself playing cds as sometimes I can’t be arsed playing vinyl(lazy I know) even though it sounds better. I need to get a cdp with usb then I’ll be like you 😆

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must admit I'm lazy a lot of the time and just stick Radio Paridise on. I have a fantastic CDP/TT at my disposal but often after 1 or 2 CDs/LPS I decide the process of choosing something from 700+ CDs or  900+ records, to play is just to much effort. The same with Qobuz, the effort of deciding is to much. With the Node2 and RP I don't have to think and if the current track is shite well I just skip until something takes my fancy then let it run. 

However when I do stick something on the CDP/TT I'm reminded why I bought them as they both sound amazing. 

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hopefully the arrival of the new speakers this week will persuade me to get off ma arse a bit more, I can imagine I’m going to be up and down like a yo-yo trying to find the sweet spot. Might as well change the disc while I’m up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: hiesteem

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If only online music streaming services existed...

:)

• Haha

DUVET

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 7, 2021
Middle
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really depends on my mood  and how much wine one may have slurped . Streaming was designed for drinkers. I do play a lot of vinyl but in between xmas and new year I have  mainly streamed. 😉

• Haha

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I stream cd or HiRes, hardly ever use my CDP, must get around to selling it. I did actually dust it off last week and play a few cds but back to streaming now, the differences were minor and not always in the CDs favour. But I don’t stream mp3, why not rip your cds at normal res? You can get loads on a usb stick.

bigfish786

Wammer
Wammer
May 15, 2013
Yorkshire
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I stream cd or HiRes, hardly ever use my CDP, must get around to selling it. I did actually dust it off last week and play a few cds but back to streaming now, the differences were minor and not always in the CDs favour. But I don’t stream mp3, why not rip your cds at normal res? You can get loads on a usb stick.
It was something to do with compatibility, at the time I had a Ford Focus which had a USB port for music, so I had to rip to a format that would work on both. 

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I play ripped cds and hires from my dac, but do use my cdp still.  I love the sound (or the sparkle mentioned above).

Audio Research cd5 going on 10 years old now.  

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All too often, I fall into the habit of using the front USB port on the Marantz to listen to music, there’s hundreds of albums on there ripped as mp3 320kbps . They sound very good indeed, something I believe KI had worked on with the SA14S1SE. 
but, stick an actual CD in there and you get a sparkle with the music, and a bigger soundstage, bass seems to go a bit lower too. I really need to get off my bum a bit more often, and use the CD drive a bit more often. If I’d seen a friend or someone just using the usb I’d have though they were nuts 😂
I am guilty of the same thing with my Auralic where I have my CD collection stored on an SSD. I know that a CD played by my Marantz transport through the Auralic sounds a bit better but the Auralic is so convenient but also sounds really good that the trip across the lounge doesn’t seem worthwhile. 

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must admit I'm lazy a lot of the time and just stick Radio Paridise on. I have a fantastic CDP/TT at my disposal but often after 1 or 2 CDs/LPS I decide the process of choosing something from 700+ CDs or  900+ records, to play is just to much effort. The same with Qobuz, the effort of deciding is to much, with the Node2 and RP I don't have to think and if the current track is shite well I just skip until something takes my fancy then let it run. 

Yet when I do stick something on the CDP/TT I'm reminded why I bought them as they both sound amazing. 
Nice problem to have John! Bet you wouldn't be without all those great, physical, vinyl/cd's though.😉

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can imagine I’m going to be up and down like a yo-yo trying to find the sweet spot. Might as well change the disc while I’m up 😂
New speakers! you'll be as fit as a fiddle in a couple of weeks!😆

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And on that note, I've just got up and put on John Mclaughlin's The Inner Mountain flame, In glorious technicolour 😋

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.