Anyone replaced a Class A amp due to power use? Suggestions for replacement?

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Okay my above post got vanished...but what is important.. is that iam lugging everything from China to deliver whatever you ever buy or consume in the UK. Its surprisingly "EVERYTHING"...and iam burning 240 metric tonnes of the most dirty fuel imaginable, getting the Chinese produce there. So class A or tube amps do not need to feel guilty, in comparison to normal British domestic consumptions..

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't listen a massive amount, so I'm not going to feel guilty about it. Plus, as I've said before, a lot of the components in my system (the valves in particular) have been saved from going to landfil, as I see it.

We both work from home and have between us three computers and five monitors powered up all day and half the night. Even with a hideous number of valves and all Class A, my listening power consumption probably pales into insignificance by comparison.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I replaced my former class A amps with an NVA A/B . Leave it on 24/7, leccy down £50 a month ?
Sounds v.good to my ears. :)

gninnamag

Listening to music hopefully
Wammer
Jan 15, 2008
Leeds
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Used a Puresound A30 - just mothballed it and using my old Audiolab 8000A for now. Liking the sound (different but good)

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most Class A amps do not use that much more power for the time they are on . Class A amps get switched on listened to and switched off as has been indicated here some leave there A/B amps on 24 / 7 which given that for most of the time they are not being listened to is a waste . So no I have no intention of changing either of my Class A power amplifiers for something else . I will though freely admit that I do really like the sound quality and natural presentation of NVA Power amplifiers and indeed use them in my system . When finished listening though they get turned off .

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
Yes, that's correct. The logic is that my current Class A amp is a huge 80w beast drawing around 300w from the mains, but as I don't play things all that loud maybe a 40w Class A amp would meet my aim to reduce power use while retaining that Class A sound.
If it’s genuinely 80w class A, it’ll be pulling a lot more than 300w. A 30w class A will pull around 300w, it seems the ratio is often around 8:1 to 10:1. What amp is it? It must be some size to make 80w class A. The very largest Krells, that kind of exotica…

cynix

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it’s genuinely 80w class A, it’ll be pulling a lot more than 300w. A 30w class A will pull around 300w, it seems the ratio is often around 8:1 to 10:1. What amp is it? It must be some size to make 80w class A. The very largest Krells, that kind of exotica…

It's a Jungson JA-88D, quite a beast as you can see in the pic, I measured properly with a meter and it's actually pulling 360W . They claim 80W per channel Class A but I agree it must be quite a bit less in reality.

I've now replaced it with a pair of Valvet class A monoblocks that are drawing less than half the power and sound even better. :)

Also tried a Rocksan Capsian M2 power amp and thought it sounded quite poor in comparison to the Jungson.

Attachments

• jungson_09.jpg
    jungson_09.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My multi amp setup inc the Class A MF A370 beast according to current rates consumes around 30p per hr of electricity…..I’ve never smoked so this is my chosen addiction and at around £1 per evening listening etc it’s far less damaging to both me and my wallet. 😁

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, quite true.

I was tempted by the Nord NC500 in the classifieds recently and if it had been a little cheaper (thus allowing me to move it on at less of a loss if/when I didn't like it) then I'd have given it a try.
Here you go.
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/nord-nc500mb-amps-£795.272796/#post-4821917
As I said earlier in the thread, I have a pair of these. They replaced a pair of Icon Audio MB845SEs, no loose of detail, richness but have added grip to the recipe, truly stunning amps for the money.

cynix

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2011
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here you go.
https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/nord-nc500mb-amps-£795.272796/#post-4821917
As I said earlier in the thread, I have a pair of these. They replaced a pair of Icon Audio MB845SEs, no loose of detail, richness but have added grip to the recipe, truly stunning amps for the money.
Thanks for the link, but I already got a pair of Valvet Class A amps that pull about 150W in total (less than half that of my Class A Jungson @ 360W) which was what I was aiming for.

Still not heard any of these new Class D amps, I nearly got a Nad C298 but was outbid so decided just to go back to my original plan of lower power Class A. I did try a Rocksan Capsian M2 Class AB power amp but thought it was pretty poor in comparison even to my Jungson, which is inferior to the Valvets.

Reactions: Lurch

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You're worried about 300w consumption!? Mine consume 1800w lol.
It's worrying that so many here are thanking you for apparently not being concerned that your amps gollop 1800 watts. Lucky everyone doesn’t use this type of environmentally inexcusable amps! I give them an emphatic thumbs down.

Thankfully even Atmasphere (I believe you use their amps) have realised the folly of their past amps and are now building Class D ones. That's enlightening, particularly from a US builder.

Last edited:

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes it is all relative i guess but i thought 4k wasnt bad for an amp compared to many ? maybe i am wrong . Anyway at the moment i think these things run pretty hot so wont be persuing . my beautiful arcam power amp will have to do ... it does sound pretty superb and cost peanuts !!

nickwf14

New Wammer
Apr 16, 2022
West Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have a couple of Sugden MPA-4 mono blocks which run pretty hot. They're rated to 160w output, so goodness knows what wattage they're actually pulling.

Coming to the summer months now, so won't get used a lot because the listening room gets pretty warm with them on. Lovely sound though. Will probably swap them out for an A/B amp over the summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.