are there budget class t amps about (apart from Sonic impact)

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When visiting the US, I've been thinking of taking advantage of lower prices/the strong pound
smile.png
I've been very impressed with the sonic impact t amp I bought, and quite like the idea of getting a slightly more powerful/better built amp based on similar technology. Are such things available (budget probably upto $400ish, and would be happy to buy secondhand) or am I going to wind up with solder burns from trying to mod a sonic impact amp
wink.png

Jon

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I browsed a tech mag at the stands recently and saw a blurb on an Audiopak(?) product - the Amp. It has the same Tripath chip as the Sonic T and 12W x 12W. It is built as a small squarish red box. The speaker outputs are an oddity. They are not springclips or bananas but 3.5mm 'female' jacks! Wonder if this makes it easier to modify than a Sonic T?

Try as I might I can't find any details of the Amp on the Net. Perhaps I got the brand name sp. wrong.

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
well i think it was tony who pointed out 'red wine audio' to me... states-based t-chip modders.. sounds exactly like what you;re after .. i can't recall the addy but its probably just red wine audio .com .. might want to google 'em

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers Nixon/solid.

tbh, the red wine audio amp does look remarkably similar to a modded t amp...was hoping for something with a bit more power (tbh, rather than buy from red wine I'd probably try to mod one my self - to save a few hundred bucks has to be worth a couple of solder burns
wink.png
)

And yeah solid, let me know if you find any more details on the audiopak
smile.png

Jon

G

speak to Tony Jon, he has experience of other class T chips, and can perhaps suggest just the one your after.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cheers. Kiang, will think about a kit (those 41hz ones do look nice
tongue.png
); AK, I've PMd tony/Mr Coherent.

Jon

G

jon wrote:

Cheers. Kiang, will think about a kit (those 41hz ones do look nice
tongue.png
); AK, I've PMd tony/Mr Coherent.Jon
john I'm sure I saw kits somewhere once, tripath amp chips in a kit form with boards components and cases too I think, various power ratings from a few watts to a mega watt or so!!

oops it my be one of them kinag mentioned, (note to self, stop speed reading, your not good enough
biggrin.png
)

PARAGON

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 5, 2005
Norn Iron
Wow! have you seen the quality of some of the "home-made" amps on those sites?

I have been toying with the idea of buying a sonic-T for a while, but after seeing those I think I will investigate further. There appears to be a whole communinty built up around this kit amps, andI am sure there are better ones available that the T.

To see what a proper company can do with digital amps, see Flying Mole, good enough to be incorporated in active PMC monitors.....

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/5545

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, they do look nice, but if I made one it'd no doubt end up with bits hanging off and some strategically applied masking tape
tongue.png
Like the look of those Flying mole jobs...out of budget, though
sad.png

Jon

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the suggestions. Hmm - wasn't meant to be DIY, as plan was to avoid having to do the work
wink.png
Looks like I might have to dig out my soldering iron again, though... Now, how many watts could the differnent kits pass through my hand when I leave the case live by mistake
wink.png

Jon

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the info. Will probably wind up using a t amp in my office, and looking to buy a better class a/b amp for the main room
smile.png

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.