power supply for sonic impact t amp (again)

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi,

I'm back in good old England now, and would like a UK PSU for my sonic impact t amp. a 12.8V one was recommended, but Maplin doesn't seem to sell 12.8V ones... so any suggestions? Sticking with the budget spirit of things, something cheapish would be good - under say £20, so less than the amp cost
smile.png
I'm also thinking of getting a second one to try running just 1 speaker per amp/biamping, so I guess if there's 1 I can run 2 t amps off that would also be worth a look...

Thanks,

Jon

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any regulated 12vDC supply from Maplins will do as long as it has more than about 750ma available. Mine is 1.5amp Sunpower from maplins.

Welcome back to the land of the almost free.

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, ,
AKA
Tim
Think you might have meant the 13.8v bench power supplies you can find off eBay quite cheaply. This gives a bit of extra oomph apparently, but some have said you should really stick a miniature heatsink on the chip. Apart from those any 12v supply will do as Mr WigWam stated
smile.png

U

Umberto

These power supplys are normally used to run in-car devices but they can be used to run anything that requires a 12-14v supply. Not a bad price either.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks. Have also been PMd a suggestion on DIYing one, but good chance I'll go for a Maplin one as a stopgap anyway...so off into town then
smile.png
The 13.8V one is tempting - but being as I'm unlikely to get round to adding a heatsink, am I likely to fry my t amp
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
Is this going to be any more risky with just 1 amp connected as opposed to 2 (and I take it that the 3A version will do to run 2 t amps as well?)

Welcome back to the land of the almost free.
Cheers; good to be back. Looking forward to a nice, warm pint of workie ticket and some folk music at the Sage
smile.png

Jon

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thanks. Maplins seem insistant that I'd need to solder a cable to use this 13.8V PSU with my t amp, but is there anywhere I can get a readymade one? Or can I just get a 2-ended cable (1 end to fit the t amp) and cut off the other end, stripping back the insulation on the wires so I can screw them in?

liamjf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2005
Eastbourne
AKA
Liam
Hi, the psu comes with screw terminals. They also do a power lead with spades at one end to fit the psu and a regular 2 pin socket (as seen on all normal 12v adapters). Then just need to get the adapter end which fits. Can't remember which one it is but if you are desperate I can check when I get home.

The lead is this DC output lead (99p)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=6290&TabID=1&source=17&WorldID=&doy=10m1

then need dc power tip connector (49p)

Hope that helps!

Liam.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Much-appreciated - my soldering's not good. Now why maplin couldn't just tell me that...another walk to town I guess
angry_smile.gif.8c0f636dd68eb7da5c2577e161ee9e27.gif

btw, am I right in thinking that if I go for the (smaller, and slightly cheaper) 3A rather than 5A version that'll give 1.5A for each t amp if I run 2 off it - so should be adequate.

Thanks,

Jon

liamjf

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 27, 2005
Eastbourne
AKA
Liam
Should be OK, but the higher current one will make sure you don't run out of power - could affect the sound, always better to have more current on tap!

ATB, Liam.

PS only the higher voltage could fry your amp the current rating is just the total current it can supply if needs be. Doesn't matter if you have one amp connected or 3

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sounds interesting - let me know how it goes
smile.png
Still like the idea of trying to DIY one, when I've got a bit more time etc...

Jon

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Got the psu now, and fuck me it sounds good
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
Was going to be used with my laptop, as a 2nd system, but it's currently taken over power amp duties from my Cambridge integrated (now working as a pre)
smile.png

Definitely seems to go louder without distorting using the bigger power supply, and a lovely detailed sound... Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. btw, I'm looking at a speaker upgrade - what kind of sensitivity (if any particular kind of level) should I be looking for in speakers the t amp can drive OK?

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online