Argument threads

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Which is better Unipivot or conventional arms?

I say unipivot, gets over all the overblown bass and lack of detail
smile.png

P

purplepleaser

Mine have a wrist and elbow . Does this mean i have unipivot or conventional arms:dunno:

Sorry:minikiev:

Lee

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Hawk wrote:

Duvet wrote:
:Not Sure:can't join in this one:Upset:
Yes you can... just tell him CD is better than vinyl
wink.png
I wouldn't argue about that, I really wish I could afford a CD player that sounded as good as my vinyl setup rather than forking out 300 quid just to get a tubby hayes record I want.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'll say conventional - simply cos I have one and only ever owned one. I'd like to try a uni-pivot at some point though, and the Morch UP4 by all accounts works quite well on the Orbe - not too expensive either.

May pay a visit to Walrus in the future and see if I can get a listen.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Well if anyone is near to me they are welcome to hear the hadcock equipped Spacedeck.

You'll have to put up with the MF pre though
smile.png

kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Owned a unipivot, the Nima, and it was a very, very good arm for the money. Veryexpansive sounding and the bass was quite good. I would not say they are 'better' than conventional tonearms, they just have a different presentation. Compared to the Tecnoarm 'a' I use now, the unipivot had a broader soundstage, but ultimately not as focused and bass is not as deep. A conventional tonearm seems to make the cart work a lot harder.

It all just boils down to preference, I like both types to be honest...

Phil

KxF

Good Vibes

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Croydon, , United Ki
Ant,

If your after aTubby Hayes :"Down In The Village" on vinyl, recently re-issued in Japan on a limited edition (500 I think). Might even know someone who has a spare to sell, as I think they sold out in less than two weeks in Japan!Will be in the region of £35.00

Mark

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Good Vibes wrote:

Ant,If your after aTubby Hayes :"Down In The Village" on vinyl, recently re-issued in Japan on a limited edition (500 I think). Might even know someone who has a spare to sell, as I think they sold out in less than two weeks in Japan!Will be in the region of £35.00

Mark
I'd glady tear someones arm off and £35 is more than acceptable. Please let me know as I've had too many bad copies of Tubby records over the years.

G

best arm fro vinyl is one on end of shoulders, grip record in hand and "skite oota high windae" like a homemade frisby
biggrin.png

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
I wouldn't argue about that, I really wish I could afford a CD player that sounded as good as my vinyl setup rather than forking out 300 quid just to get a tubby hayes record I want.
Ant you can mate but not i think with the amp you currently have.

I wreckon a Prima Luna amp would do the job and give you that analogue warmth you are looking for in CD replay.

I heard one on the end of some sonus faber cremona standmounts with just a cheapo harmon kardon tuner dialled into radio 3.

Sounded as lush and full as any TT i have heard.

Curt

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
but then what would happen to the vinyl replay?

To be honest the vinyl doesn't sound different in it's presentation, just more expansive, detailed and real than any cd player I have listened too.

I haven't heard things like the Wadia etc though only upto 2 grand/

curtis

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2005
Herts, , United King
Ant wrote:

but then what would happen to the vinyl replay?To be honest the vinyl doesn't sound different in it's presentation, just more expansive, detailed and real than any cd player I have listened too.

I haven't heard things like the Wadia etc though only upto 2 grand/
Vinyl replay would get better also:)

I do believe your amp is not helping you find reasonable CD replay quality.

If you want valve sound and power look at some hybrid integrateds form Unison Reaearch, Pathos etc or trannys with valve like qualitys like Primare, Copland and Bow.

These will all give you a sweeter expansive sound from the right CDP

Curt

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
analoguekid wrote:

best arm fro vinyl is one on end of shoulders, grip record in hand and "skite oota high windae" like a homemade frisby
biggrin.png
But you can use those smaller silver disks to make great coasters and also apparently to stop turkeys from pecking each other to pieces - they peck themsleves reflected of the cd instead. Better than listening to them I suppose
tongue.png

G

i love my sme thats the best there is for me. and it looks great on the gyro.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Ant wrote:

Which is better Unipivot or conventional arms?I say unipivot, gets over all the overblown bass and lack of detail
smile.png
Unipivot by a mile

neither - I vote for parallel :green:
Yes they are very good, they come into there own when you get to the last tracks of the side your playing the real draw back is setting up

I had this one

catangent.jpg

Now they are not too dear at £1,300 but add the same again for a cartridge which given set up not being that easy and you have a good chance of it ending in tears :cs:I never spent more than £300 on a cartridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.