kingsxfan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Wirral
AKA
Phil
Ant wrote:

Which is better Unipivot or conventional arms?I say unipivot, gets over all the overblown bass and lack of detail
smile.png
Ant, don't you have both types on your SD?

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Ha ha someone noticed
smile.png

Actually right now I've got just the uni and I'm seriously considering another one with a mono cart, but first I have 1000's of records I want to buy. Started with quite a few today
biggrin.png
smile.png

Of course I could sell my records collection and turntable and get a Wadia and replace half the records with cd's and have change
smile.png

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
buying records is just more fun than buying cds, especially when buying 2nd hand and you find a mint copy and plays perfect without the need for a clean.

Something cd buyers can't enjoy - although not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

G

griffo104 wrote:

buying records is just more fun than buying cds, especially when buying 2nd hand and you find a mint copy and plays perfect without the need for a clean.Something cd buyers can't enjoy - although not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
26.gif.8017d59dcd366c78cba0db9463c65b0f.gif
:geek:
:geek::geek:does that answer your question:peace:

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

griffo104 wrote:
buying records is just more fun than buying cds, especially when buying 2nd hand and you find a mint copy and plays perfect without the need for a clean.Something cd buyers can't enjoy - although not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
:geek:
:geek::geek:does that answer your question:peace:
damn you pesky cd lovers if it wasn't for you we would be getting away with it.

Tis sad but probably true
tongue.png

If cds could be packaged like some of the nice Coltrane and Davis boxsets instead of those crappy plastic shitty things which always seem to break then maybe collecting them would be a bit more fun. Gatefolds still rock.

And going back to Ant's thread - tonearms are engineering feats of joy which can be admired and even a pleb like me can work out how they work and have a respect for the engineering of one man's vision - well normally one man's vision. CD Players are black boxes with bought in components from many huge corporations who decide on a whim to stop making them - philips and their transports come to mind.

Hat's off to the Linns, Wadias, DCS, Esoteric, etc.. of the world for trying to do something better with the format - but they will never create that sense of involvement you get with a turntable setup - and that includes maintenance of the decks/arm and the enjoyment of collecting vinyl.

G

seems some are into the pretty pictures more than the music? Want nice colourfull pics buy a national geographic.
wink.png

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
analoguekid wrote:

seems some are into the pretty pictures more than the music? Want nice colourfull pics buy a national geographic.
wink.png
All part of the fun. If it was just about the music why not ditch the hifi and get pc servers and down load everything ? Think of the space we would save not trying to put a couple thousand albums ? Think how easy it would be to upgrade - just replace the old sound card with the latest greatest one.

Some of us still enjoy the complete package - and that includes the packaging that the software comes in.

And yes the pictures on some of the vinyl gatefolds is nice
biggrin.png

G

Griffo wqasn't a dig at you, but better packaging has allways been cited as an advantage to vinyl, clutching at straws, yes gatefolds are nice, but after the first listen or 2 I never really look at covers again, besides the cover advantage is more than outweighed by the advantage cd has of having a spine thats readable no matter how crammed your storage becomes.
biggrin.png

Anyway I mostly listen to choons with my eyes shut, and I don't see many brail alby covers
biggrin.png

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
AK - realised it wasn't a dig
biggrin.png
. But as I get older and sit around people who only listen to ipods you start to realise how much the effort takes for companies to produce something that you might actually treasure.

As for packaging - check out the Coltrane Classic Quartet boxset here http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.aspx?ob=disc&src=art&pid=9115

When cd labels put their mind to it they can produce quality - metal outer sleave, with leather pouch and each cd stored in its own sleeve and a great book as well.

I haven't seen packaging as good on ANY vinyl release.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
I could care less about the actual objects to be honest. Records are expensive and hard to get. Despite my collection I am not a collector of records. If a decent re-issue comes out I'll take that over and overpriced original if the quality is anywhere near.

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ant wrote:

I could care less about the actual objects to be honest. Records are expensive and hard to get. Despite my collection I am not a collector of records. If a decent re-issue comes out I'll take that over and overpriced original if the quality is anywhere near.
Ant - I'm with you, but it is nice to get a great 2nd hand record. I bought some Rubbra Symphonies recently, lyrita pressings, they looked like they had NEVER been played. Great music and the sound is great on them. Cost a fiver each - bargain.

I don't really care for 1st editions or anything like that but even the Led Zep reissues on Classic, although expensive, are still cheaper than 2nd hand first pressings - and probably sound as good.

I've given up trying to get good Blue Note records - cost way too much than I'm willing to pay for a record.

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
Ant wrote:

It's things like thishttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TUBBY-HAYES-Late-Spot-At-Scotts-UK-vinyl-LP_W0QQitemZ4842221760QQcategoryZ306QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Expensive and from a seller with a reputation for bad vinyl, the worlds gone mad.
Gotta agree with you Ant . Eil seem to be able to get some rarities but the fuckers don't half charge you silly money for the priviledge to own them.

Greedy fuckin wankers.:Upset:

Btw Linn Ittok is the best arm.................................................aye it is.
tongue.png

chezi.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
I'd buy shed loads from them if I hadn't had a worse than 75% crap ratio
smile.png

I want another Hadcock