Ayre AX-7e with Tannoy Prestige Sterling?

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone used the Ayre AX-7e?

Anyone used is with Tannoy's?

I been mulling over a new amp as I want a remote control and (ideally) balanced inputs, so the AX-7e ticks all the boxes but it isn't a brand I am particularly familiar.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Primare I25 {class d) with my Tannoy Prestige Stirlings, However you would need to go up a range to get balanced inputs. Luxmam valve amps work very well but get too hot and consume loads of power. Sugden had too much gain for the sensitive speakers.

Alan

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Ayre equipment.

I have the P-5xe phono stage and their matching K-5xeMP pre amp.

They build reliable, relatively inexpensive SS kit. One of their fortes is balanced circuitry.

I really like the pair I have and the phono stage has built a good reputation on the bake off circuit.

Jack NSM

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
The speakers are very unfussy about amps tbh, it'll sound great

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use Ayre equipment.

I have the P-5xe phono stage and their matching K-5xeMP pre amp.

They build reliable, relatively inexpensive SS kit. One of their fortes is balanced circuitry.

I really like the pair I have and the phono stage has built a good reputation on the bake off circuit.

Jack NSM
Ayre is good kit, but I would have to disagree on the 'relatively inexpensive' bit. OK, if you compare it to really silly money kit then maybe, but the new price for the current equivalent of your pre is almost £10k and the current integrated AX-5 is pushing close to £15K

Many models in their range do run very hot; not ideal for longevity.

Dealer presence in the UK is limited; not sure who does their servicing but there may be the poss requirement for a return trip to the US. I do have a bit of an interest in the EX8v2 (yes, I've seen the EX8v1 on 2ndhandhifi, but that is the original model plus I'm sure I've seen that being previously sold on their site, so I can't see how it is 'ex demo'?), fully loaded, but can't seem to find any dealers with this in stock and available for a demo, plus there is the heat concern (reportedly surfaces are around 103-108F when running)

The Ayre AX-7e should work well with the Tannoys, along with most other 'speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.