Abrahamsen V2.0 UP - any views?

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am tentatively looking for a new integrated and am pretty steadfast that I want to stay away from some of the mainstream players like Naim, Rega etc.  I am not being critical of them, at all, but I am looking for something a bit different that's very well engineered and supplies decent current to speakers with as much power as is reasonable. I am not interested in volume - just the ability to control (ProAc) speakers well.

One that's grabbed my attention is the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP.  I believe it's the second cousin of some of the Electrocompaniet stuff so it's of decent pedigree and one of those rarities that is designed to double its output into 4 Ohms from 8.  That's one mark of a good amp.

Has anyone any experience of it who can comment on it's performance, quality and longevity?  I am a bit hesitant about buying direct but it does look quality and is under £1k.

If there are other recommendations for alternatives that meet a similar spec I'd take a look.

Thanks.

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have you considered Nord for an integrated? All their amps seem to get good user reviews/write-ups. I'm running a pair of Nord One UP SE NC500M and they're stunning performers. 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They were imported by Colin who now runs Nord, based in Cheltenham as mentioned.  I’m not aware of any UK service or back up, so I’d be a bit wary.  I vaguely recall they were much closer than you infer to Electrocompaniet, as it was the folks from E who set it up.  I’ve no idea who now makes E, whether just the name continues or all the family, know how and skills. 

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They were imported by Colin who now runs Nord, based in Cheltenham as mentioned.  I’m not aware of any UK service or back up, so I’d be a bit wary.  I vaguely recall they were much closer than you infer to Electrocompaniet, as it was the folks from E who set it up.  I’ve no idea who now makes E, whether just the name continues or all the family, know how and skills. 
That's interesting and worth being wary of so thanks for the info.  That's slightly offputting so back to the drawing board 😞

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's interesting and worth being wary of so thanks for the info.  That's slightly offputting so back to the drawing board 😞
What I don’t know is if he might service them, so it’s worth asking.  I guess it’s the same if you bought anything secondhand.  There’s a used Primare I32 in the classifieds if that’s of any interest (not mine!). 

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What I don’t know is if he might service them, so it’s worth asking.  I guess it’s the same if you bought anything secondhand.  There’s a used Primare I32 in the classifieds if that’s of any interest (not mine!). 
I did actually look at that last week and it's quite tempting though I have never heard one and am a little hesitant about Class D with already revealing speakers. 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did actually look at that last week and it's quite tempting though I have never heard one and am a little hesitant about Class D with already revealing speakers. 
Fair enough, though my ATCs aren’t exactly mellow and I think they work well together.  The only other unusual design I pondered on your behalf is Vincent, but I see their favourite integrated is £1850 now, so a bit over budget.  

There’s a nice Roksan Caspian from a dealer with 3 months warranty on eBay. ( I was more drawn to a Krell s300 until I read that it hums)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fair enough, though my ATCs aren’t exactly mellow and I think they work well together.  The only other unusual design I pondered on your behalf is Vincent, but I see their favourite integrated is £1850 now, so a bit over budget.  

There’s a nice Roksan Caspian from a dealer with 3 months warranty on eBay. ( I was more drawn to a Krell s300 until I read that it hums)
Thanks - it's a bit challenging to stumble across the kind of thing I am looking for really. I'm outta ideas 🙂

simon g

Senior Wammer
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2006
No linger active on this forum
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks - it's a bit challenging to stumble across the kind of thing I am looking for really. I'm outta ideas 🙂
Take a look at a Creek Evolution 50a; still available at around £900 new. An older Creek Destiny 2 is also worth considering, if you don't mind used. Audio Emotion have one, I think.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was also, concerned about class D, having been a valve fan boy for the last 4 years. However I needn't have worried, infact the MB845SEs into Kef 104ab that I was using when my 989s played up was actually over egging the richness pudding. When I grabbed the Nord class D monos after one of the 845s went down I was really surprised. The 104ab changed character and became stunning performers, still with tonal richness and detail and not a hint of leanness/brightness. I've now installed a pair of ML Summits which are pretty revealing speakers and again there's no problem with tonal richness and detail, class D has, come a long way since it's inception. With Nord (they do an integrated) there is a, choice of op-amp (SI or Sparko) that will help tailor things from within the input buffer board, you really owe it to yourself to get an audition to see what the latest iterations are capable of. 

Denim Demon

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2012
South Yorkshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
My dad's has had the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP for a good few years now. He bought new back when Colin at Nord was representing them here in the UK. It's a well built thing, good remote and to my ears and his certainly sounds than the Musical Fidelity A5 he had before it.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I looked in detail at one of these a couple of years ago. Nopiano is correct there is no backup in UK unless this has changed. Also, the V2.0up appeared to be the only thing being sold.

Someone relied to my stream who has bought one and apparently they are boxed incredibly well for shipment, but still, this was a concern to me.

The maker Per Abrahamsen, was I believe, the main designer at Electro then left to set up Abrahamsen.

If it goes wrong your on your own, or if it gets knocked around being shipped you've got to pay for return shipping. All big negatives.

Big positive is they look like an almighty bargain.

I didn't get one in the end. However, if I see a UK second hand one crop up I'd probably buy it to scratch that itch.

Paulq

Über Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2015
NW UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I looked in detail at one of these a couple of years ago. Nopiano is correct there is no backup in UK unless this has changed. Also, the V2.0up appeared to be the only thing being sold.

Someone relied to my stream who has bought one and apparently they are boxed incredibly well for shipment, but still, this was a concern to me.

The maker Per Abrahamsen, was I believe, the main designer at Electro then left to set up Abrahamsen.

If it goes wrong your on your own, or if it gets knocked around being shipped you've got to pay for return shipping. All big negatives.

Big positive is they look like an almighty bargain.

I didn't get one in the end. However, if I see a UK second hand one crop up I'd probably buy it to scratch that itch.
I think your migivings were/are the same as mine so I'll probably err on the side of caution and look for something else.  The other suggestions here are also very helpful and I really appreciate that.  The Primare looks to be astonishingly good as, in fairness, does the Creek.  I just don't have any experience of either and don't want to make a £1k mistake.#

Edit:  I have been reading a lot tonight and stumbled on a very informative (if confusing) post on a different forum where the notion that the doubling of output as the ohms halved was and is utter nonsense and yet another hifi myth.  Oh well, guess that opens the field up quite considerably then 🙂

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is correct i brought a new Abrahamsen v2.0 up and a Cd player 

The amplifier is very good built like a tank but the Cd player never worked properly out of the box which was disappointing but can not fault the amplifier but what worried me was if it went wrong how would i get it fixed as the aftercare service was rubbish  .

So you take the risk if you buy one but still a good amplifier for the money .   

AntA

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Broadway Worcs
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

The amplifier is very good built like a tank but the Cd player never worked properly out of the box which was disappointing but can not fault the amplifier but what worried me was if it went wrong how would i get it fixed as the aftercare service was rubbish  .

Yes, I remember you saying it was better than the Marantz PM8005.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

That is very disappointing. A friend is dealing with a British hi fi high end  company that makes CD players and from what I hear the support is first class ( and its not audionote !! )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online