Bewitch or Icon, which one?

S

s2000db

Please help, am considering either the Bewitch A30, Icon Stereo 60, or 40, aside from listening to them, is there anything else I need to consider, from either a technical point of view, or alternate products.

Thanks for your help.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

DB

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having heard the Bewitch and the Icon at the recent hifi show at Heathrow, there's only one choice for me, the Bewitch. I'm not keen on valve amps and prefer solid state but the Bewitch was, for me, one of the stars of the show.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Demo both? FWIW I'd compare the Icon 60 with the bewitch, I sometoimes feel the 40 lacks a little outright control and can be a bit soft in the bass, on looks alone i'd have the bewitch.

E

earl of sodbury

I've heard a couple of Icon amps, and they sounded pretty ordinary to me - the Bewitched has a best-of-both-worlds combination of fluidity, transparency and bass-control that makes the alternatives seem more "either/or". IMHO.

Silly name, mind. :Not Sure:

churz, eofs

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

I've heard a couple of Icon amps, and they sounded pretty ordinary to me - the Bewitched has a best-of-both-worlds combination of fluidity, transparency and bass-control that makes the alternatives seem more "either/or". IMHO.Silly name, mind. :Not Sure:

churz, eofs
sure is- should have picked something normal like stella- sorry stello:p

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
One technical aspect you should consider - well, more medical really. I'm reliably informed that the Puresound amp, fine as it is, weighs a fucking ton. Only purchase if you are confident in your resistance to its potential hernia-inducing properties! :->>

If it wasn't for this I'd 've probably bought one myself by now
rolleyes.gif.fd85f9fd5d171988ef004a59c04642db.gif

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
earl of sodbury wrote:

I've heard a couple of Icon amps, and they sounded pretty ordinary to me - the Bewitched has a best-of-both-worlds combination of fluidity, transparency and bass-control that makes the alternatives seem more "either/or". IMHO. Silly name, mind. :Not Sure:

churz, eofs
Especially if you get it wrong
tongue.png

JonR

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 3, 2005
Herts
AKA
Unknown
I seem to recall Mr C saying recently that Puresound have had a change of plan re the nomenclature aspect and that 'Bewitch' or 'Bewitched', or whatever it is, is no more.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
JonR wrote:

I seem to recall Mr C saying recently that Puresound have had a change of plan re the nomenclature aspect and that 'Bewitch' or 'Bewitched', or whatever it is, is no more.
I heard this too - think future amps will just beknown as Puresound (plus the model code ie A30 etc)

A

Alex A

Papa Lazarou wrote:

JonR wrote:
I heard this too - think future amps will just beknown as Puresound (plus the model code ie A30 etc)
That's true. The designer told me at the Manchester show back in October.

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Bewitch any day

Unless of course you fancy my much cheaper Sugden A21a :minikiev:

Yoda

E

earl of sodbury

Ant wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
I've heard a couple of Icon amps, and they sounded pretty ordinary to me - the Bewitched has a best-of-both-worlds combination of fluidity, transparency and bass-control that makes the alternatives seem more "either/or". IMHO.Silly name, mind. :Not Sure:

churz, eofs
Especially if you get it wrong
tongue.png
eck13.gif
you too!

S

s2000db

Thanks for that guys, looks like a vote for the Bewitch then, now all I need to do is track down a demo model...... cheers:^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.