CA Azur 851n not seeing network folders?

robbie010

Fervent Box-swapper & Tinkerer
Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The one track you can see maybe in the default Music folder for Windows. Drop a couple more in there and see if they appear. Also using the . in the folder name may cause it act as a hidden folder.
Ok..... this was driving me nuts!

Here is the solution:

If you store you ripped music in a file on your computer that is not your main "Music Library" on the C drive, say on a separate internal or external storage drive with a different drive letter assigned, browse to the folder where you keep your music, right click and select "Include in Library" then choose "Music".

Job done.

Phew......

robbie010

Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How the hell do you embed art in to every song?
It seems that the best way to do this is using a program called mp3tags, provided you have a copy of the cover art in the same file I think its quite a simple process.

• Upvote
Reactions: Bazzer

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies Robbie010, just seen this thread.

If I'd seen it sooner I might have been able to save you some frustration.

Glad to hear your sorted now.

I have a network connected Lenovo Thinkcentre (very small desktop PC 18 x 19 x 3 cm) with all my music ripped to FLAC. I run Plex Server on the PC, purely because it is easy to manage the files, it's not needed to access the music with my 851N.

For ripping to FLAC and embedding artwork I use Exact Audio Copy.

MP3tag is very useful for making batch alterations to the files once ripped.

robbie010

Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies Robbie010, just seen this thread.

If I'd seen it sooner I might have been able to save you some frustration.

Glad to hear your sorted now.

I have a network connected Lenovo Thinkcentre (very small desktop PC 18 x 19 x 3 cm) with all my music ripped to FLAC. I run Plex Server on the PC, purely because it is easy to manage the files, it's not needed to access the music with my 851N.

For ripping to FLAC and embedding artwork I use Exact Audio Copy.

MP3tag is very useful for making batch alterations to the files once ripped.
Thanks, Glen. 

I have now managed to embed the album art using mp3tags so that the cover art shows on the front panel of the 851n but it does’t appear in the stream magic app, any idea how to get it to appear in the app?

glenhb

Glenhb
Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Doncaster
AKA
Glen Buddery
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When you say you've "embedded the album art" have you just dropped a copy into the album folder or actually "embedded" it in each track tag?

Also, what size and file format is the album art in?

Last edited by a moderator:

robbie010

Wammer Plus
Feb 24, 2016
Manchester
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When you say you've "embedded the album art" have you just dropped a copy into the album folder or actually "embedded" it in each track tag?

Also, what size and file format is the album art in?
I used mp3tags to embed the album cover in to each track. The cover is a .jpeg (called cover.jpeg) and is kept in the same folder as the album tracks. 

It now shows up on the actual 851n but not in the stream magic app…..

file sizes range from maybe a few 10’s of KB to a few 100 KB

Bolosun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2013
Ok..... this was driving me nuts!

Here is the solution:

If you store you ripped music in a file on your computer that is not your main "Music Library" on the C drive, say on a separate internal or external storage drive with a different drive letter assigned, browse to the folder where you keep your music, right click and select "Include in Library" then choose "Music".

Job done.

Phew......
And Cambridge Audio didn't know about this? 😒

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And Cambridge Audio didn't know about this? 😒
The 851N looks for UPnP servers on the local network, and will simply report whatever is presented to it by that server. The Windows UPnP implementation is what's determining the files the streamer "sees", i.e. it's not the streamer that determines the locations that are searched. In this respect it's different to something like, say, Sonos, where you actually point the streamer at specific network locations to build the local library from.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Feels like there should be a sticky on considerations for buying a streamer and how to set one up. 

Bolosun

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2013
The 851N looks for UPnP servers on the local network, and will simply report whatever is presented to it by that server. The Windows UPnP implementation is what's determining the files the streamer "sees", i.e. it's not the streamer that determines the locations that are searched. In this respect it's different to something like, say, Sonos, where you actually point the streamer at specific network locations to build the local library from.
That's as maybe. I would expect Cambridge to know what the unit is looking for from a Windows 10 system. It is either looking for the default location and will take some hacking/editing to point it somewhere else, or it is configurable from the start assuming the Windows system is sharing correctly. They could be in their rights to say they can't be responsible for Windows sharing (Microsoft change it regularly), but I would expect them to advise their customers to use the default locations as a starting point.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think this is one of those areas where some manufacturers are more detailed than others in their instructions. CA won't be the only ones who take the approach of saying that anything beyond their product is not their concern, even if that's unhelpful to a non-savvy user.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect any company to give detailed instructions on every likely scenario but I do agree that perhaps the most obvious  / likely ones would be helpful.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The Cambridge Audio support forum answers many Windows based questions and Cambridge will direct you to it for issues that are effectively non-product related.

Reactions: Jules_S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.