Cheap Digital Cable

E

earl of sodbury

Sadly I have to return the marvellous Coherent Sytems digital cable I've had on loan soon
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
, so need to find a replacement for my temporary lash-up - budget a max of £50 - any suggestions, please?
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

churz, eofs

Bracko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
Cheltenham, , United
The Supra Jobby isn't bad and the QED Signature (£65 for 0.5m) is pretty good too for the money. I had a Coherent on loan but couldn't really justify the cost over the QED Sig for not a lot of gain.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use the TV cables one; looks very well-made, and works fine
smile.png

Jon

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
, , United Kingdom
The qed signature is excellent, I use it from dvd to av amp and its a big step up from the cheapo cambridge audio one. Notably clearer sounding and more low level detail in movie sound tracks.

Ultra

M

Mr Coherent

Adam,

remarkably average too
smile.png

I'd say the VDH studio (purple one) with bullets with hit you £30 will help out in the mean time Earl

Sid and Coke

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
nr St Andrews, Fife,
I use a Mark Grant £20 digi coax between my transport and dac. I have tried others but the one made by Mark seemed to be well spec'd and well made, although it is a little stiff.

If you want a more flexible cable you could try an Ecosse ' The Producer' . I think they sell for about £25. I used to have one of them too. I did a little fully sighted, non scientific, S&C home test between about 5 digital coax cables and couldn't tell the difference between any of them to be honest. I kept thecheap ones and sold my Producer and also a CAD 'Silurian' ( £87 worth, silver , locking phonos, etc ...) to recoup a little cash...

andrew1810

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Northumberland, , Un

julian2002

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2005
Lakeside Wixams
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
a pair of bullet plugs and 1/2m of shark coax from maplins 5 mins with a soddering iron and bobs your uncle. cost? about 25 quid iirc. it'll do the job but probably not as good as tone's.

cheers

julian

E

earl of sodbury

Thanks all for some stonkingly useful answers - if I was a journalist I'd have the makings of an intriguing group test. As it is Frank was first out of the traps, and a mighty-fine silver cable landed in my pigeon-hole this morning! Can't wait to road-test it!

Thanks again all, churz, eofs

Darren

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 8, 2005
West Lancs
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry Earl,

Not stirring the shit...but... given that Tony's cable was 'marvellous' and was loaned to you, why didn't you just buy it?

- Serious question

Darren

E

earl of sodbury

Darren wrote:

Sorry Earl,Not stirring the shit...but... given that Tony's cable was 'marvellous' and was loaned to you, why didn't you just buy it?

- Serious question

Darren
'Cause it's £350 and I have just taken-out a massive mortgage and still don't have a fridge or washing machine.

Serious answer.

Churz, eofs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.