Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Can anyone explain why they cost £225 for a metre pair? They just seem to be silver plated copper in teflon insulation, and silver plated plugs. How can they cost £225?

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
Miller, the same question can be ask with most interconnects, even if they were cost less than £100! They don't have to justify the high price as long as people like me (and you) are buying them!

A

Alex A

I once thought equipment should reflect the cost of development and manufacture. In reality, equipment is priced at the point of profit maximisation irrespective of how much it actually costs to make.

S

s2000db

I think that you'll find it difficult to justify the cost of any ic over a fiver, unless it's full of precious metal...

Used to work for Johnson Matthey (pm refiners and mfers) many moons ago.. interesting to note how few people wore gold/silver jewellry, even though we got it at wellbelow trade price, we all knew it was still OTT on price imo etc...

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
if it makes 200 quid worth of improvement then its worth 200 quid init?!?!?!?
biggrin.png

ie if a 600 quid amp plus 200 quid interconnect sounds better to your ears than 750 quid amp and 50 quid interconnect ...and you have only 800 quid then its worth the money.

i have a chord chorus, i didnt pay anything like that price mind (65 quid) its very good and it did sound considerably different than the Rega Couples and also Audioquest quartz3 i/c's. i think the key is `different' rather than better and i think they are just a way of slightly tweaking what you already have without having to spend looooads on upgrading.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Miller-8 wrote:

Can anyone explain why they cost £225 for a metre pair? They just seem to be silver plated copper in teflon insulation, and silver plated plugs. How can they cost £225?
is that the new one ? thats a very nice cable tried one and know a few people who have bought it

cost is cost of parts.... labour to make it, then some profit

now in the hands of the dealer he too needs to make a profit

after having paid rents rates taxes ect ect

all you can ever do when dealing with prices of anything is look at the cost of what you think is the total cost of bits and labour and decide if its worth it

that cable at £225 is selling well based on reviews and what people heard

I have no trouble with Chord cable and speaker cable prices and have been happy to pay £920 for an indigo and got the other i needed as a Christmas present

at the same time there is no way I would use merlin speaker cables if you gave them me

we have to decide what we are happy with and cough up

S

s2000db

Also worth noting, that most things that are manufactured in the far east retail for 5-8 times their cost price.......

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
None of us seem to consider a CD player for £500 or so to be terrible value, yet you can walk up most high streets today and buy a DVD player for £15. It's called economies of scale. It isn't just the cost of the materials. Time, wages, overheads etc all add up to a tidy sum, especially if you're making something that sells in relatively small numbers.

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I had a Chorus a while back. It would have been worth less than 10% of my system going by RRPs and made more then 10% of improvement, IMO, so it is worth it.

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All I can say is that I have just upgraded my CD-amp inter-connect to a Chord Anthem. The difference sometimes subtle - on other occasions very considerable - the equivalent of upgrading the CDP or amp.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Have used Chord Chorus for a while with a couple of systems. Can get these cables used for less than £100. Worth it at that price.

johnnyesox

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 18, 2007
Outside Paisley now,
Using the Chord Anthem and a VDH DM103 both borrowed,the Chord was £200 and the VDH was £36 off eBay last week,the VDH is a better listen IMO,nothing to do with the price,as my mate bought 2 of these Chords,he has sold one and is now trying to sell this one[not to me I might add,cos' I would not have it at any price!]

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
I would personally never spend that kind of money on cables. But at the same time, for me to dismiss a product because it didn't fit my needs would be...how you say..."muppetry of the highest order".

Even if the cable effect is all psychoacousticsmoke and mirrors (and I'm not saying it is or isn't)it is none of my business or concern how others spend their cash. If the end user is happy with the results, what else matters?

Matt J

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 7, 2006
Not Derbyshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Professor Chaos wrote:

would be...how you say..."muppetry of the highest order".
Hmmm, it says you only joined the other day, yet you seem to know one of our members quite well already, been here before or is his reputation global?
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any cables worth is subjective, its a bit "one mans meat" theory , to a degree. For Instance, my last ic had a £600 rrp tag, there is no way i believe it is worth that, yes, its a good cable, but in all honesty if i had to pay full retail on it brand new, i wouldnt, but thats the great thing about picking up such things 2nd hand, usually when it comes to sell on time, little or no loss is involved. (not like the loss im gonna take when me minimax sells!!!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.