Linn Owners

Desperate - selekt looking for non-existent Exakt device

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not physically... I can't configure them in the web config either.

When I click on the 'General' tab and then on Network Player -> Selekt DSM I get the error. "Modular device was not found. Please wait a few seconds to allow it to be discovered. If this issue persists, please contact Linn Support."

It's got itself in a mess somewhere!
Yes, really weird. I would suggest ringing Customer Service on Monday and speaking to Colin or Richard, rather than wait for a reply to an email. The number is: 0141 307 7777

’troll

Last edited:

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I suggest the following procedure:

1. Perform "Recover" in Konfig under ADVANCED tab.
2. Re-register the device in the account in Kazoo.
3. Select 'Networkplayer Select DSM' on the "GENERAL" page in Manage Systems.
4. Select the "Stereo Passthrough" mode (as the Majik 140 is operated passively).
5. Select Majik 140 speakers as Front L and R. If there are still speakers listed, delete them first.

If everything is done, music should now come out of the speakers again, provided the power amp modular device is OK.
If, for example, you start a title from a playlist or an Internet radio station and the time runs, but no sound comes, it is possible that the power amplifier modular device was not recognised.
In this case, you can switch the unit off and on again at the back. The modular device should then be discovered.

Good luck

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suggest the following procedure:

1. Perform "Recover" in Konfig under ADVANCED tab.
Thanks for your input @Peter_P I was just about to suggest using Recover, as it’s probably what the Helpdesk will suggest. The next steps are great - I’ve learned something.

I was just reading this:

How do I RECOVER on the Selekt DSM?​

You will need to have the Konfig running to do the full RECOVER, plus internet access for the Selekt DSMThis will do a fresh reload of Software and reset all setting to default setting. This action may take some time to perform as it need to download new software packages and install them. Typically this maycan take one hour to perform.(The is dependant on your Internet speed and how many software versions need to be installed).
  1. Make sure that your Selekt DSM is powered on and your LAN network has Ethernet access
  2. In Konfig, go into the Advancedand find your Selekt DSM
    1. If you cannot see you Selekt DSM double check the power connections and network connection.
    2. if you still don't have the Selket DSM listed in Konfig press the FALLBACK ( #2 in the image below) and repeat checking Konfig>Advanced tab
Power Amp Selekt backpanel.jpg
  1. Press the RECOVER and leave it to do the update.
  2. After approx 60minutes go to the Selekt and using the Dial what Software Version is installed.
  3. All Done
’troll

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks everyone for spending your time to help, it's been a day of learning. I did the above but still see the same wen I click on the Network Player - Selekt DSM "Modular device was not found. Please wait a few seconds to allow it to be discovered. If this issue persists, please contact Linn Support."

I've rebooted, unplugged and been through the whole process again. It looks like for some reason it can't see the power amp? Is there anything else I can do or I'll try and speak with support tomorrow.

Reactions: Moomintroll

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a bit more info. This morning Konfig said there was a new beta -I was previously on the last full release 4.92.459. Having installed that, I could then see the speakers in the 'speaker' tab. However when I configured them I get another error - "A problem occurred when processing the data required to configure your device - contact Linn support".

I then followed the procedure above, unfortunately still doesn't work :) Maybe it's a hardware issue or maybe related to the strange behaviour of my Linn account. I'll talk to Linn and see

Peter_P

Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
One more hint:
If you have run "Recover" in Konfig and then start with the new setup (as described above), only use "Manage Systems". The subsequent alternating processing of the Selekt with "Konfig" and "Manage Systems" can also lead to problems during the setup.

If that doesn't help either, you could put the power amp module (probably sitting in SLOT 1 outside) in another SLOT.
If you want to try this yourself, I can send you instructions as a PM.

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi… unfortunately not. Linn gave the same advice as you guys. I’ve had to drop it into the dealer. I’m not ruling out sabotage by my wife as she knew I was planning for some extra bits and bobs!

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At least we haven’t missed something obvious.

’troll

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep… maybe a hardware issue after all and I was flummoxed by the strange website behaviour. I’m sure they’ll get it sorted, it’s only a couple of years old.

Peter_P

Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There should also be a guarantee (5 years), so that any costs incurred will not be too high.

I assume that only one power amplifier module is plugged into your Selekt.
If your LINN dealer also has an appropriately equipped Selekt, he can quickly swap the modules to find out if the module is the problem.

If it is not the module, then the Select will probably have to be sent to Glasgow.

Jail4CEOs2

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 2, 2018
Taiwan
AKA
LG G2 65 OLED
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Mine isn't quite the same issue, but my AEDSM can't be seen by konfig, PC or Android, or Kazoo on PC and Android. I can use the Linn Account web version (SPACE v2) and it shows all the system components and my current SPACE settings. I can play Radio Paradise using the rem020 remote, and music issues forth, but I can't access music from the NAS. The system was somehow logged out of all Linn accounts, and I've logged back in on the PC and phone.

I haven't done any updates recently. I'd be irritated AF if I have to redo all my SPACE inputs and do a factory reset! Anybody else with problems? Linn, are you reading this?

Edit: I used the font switches and turned off the power, and all functionality was restored.

Last edited:

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In case it helps anyone else then this is from Linn. I've dispatched it to the dealer to take a look at.

Hi Alistair,

Thank you for your e-mail

I am sorry to hear that you are encountering issues with your Selekt DSM.

The Phono section will only be populated if you have the Urika 2 phono stage, as this is digital and configured via Konifg/Linn Account.

The Selekt DSM has effectively an Exaktbox built into it, so this is the part that appears to be causing the issue, as it is not displaying the speakers or allowing you to configure it.

I would suggest trying a recover from the advanced tab in Konfig. If the Recover does not resolve the issue, I would then suggest a restore, this will restore the unit back to factory defaults and remove any association with a Linn Account, so you would need to reconfigure the Selekt DSM and re-associate it to your Linn Account.

If this still does not remedy the issue, I would suggest contacting your Linn retailer to have them assess your Selekt DSM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.