Desperate - selekt looking for non-existent Exakt device

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Selekt DSM and Majik 140 speakers. I ran the update this
morning and now although I can connect and stream through the iPhone
app it says there are no speakers/devices. I had re-configured it beforehand to remove a sub that I wanted to remove from the system.

I can see the DSM on the web page but it won't open the settings page and just says 'loading'. I could open this before the upgrade.

I have factory reset and restored through Konfig but that hasn't helped. Konfig says to 'fallback' on the speaker page but then says it can't find devices.

I have hard rebooted several times and removed the speaker cables and
re-inserted them while the system was off.

I also note in Konfig that it says there are no Phono devices but I
have an LP12 connected that was also working yesterday.

It seems to be looking for an Exact device but I don't have one of those.

Any ideas?!

Attachments

• 982EEC59-5CFF-46F7-9632-2B254DBF4C51.png
    982EEC59-5CFF-46F7-9632-2B254DBF4C51.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • A5715C71-2AC3-4BC1-A848-BE8CEB12F684.jpeg
    A5715C71-2AC3-4BC1-A848-BE8CEB12F684.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 26

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recall when my Akurate came back to me after the Katalyst update, it was in ‘factory reset’ and there were dozens of settings to tweak before it looked ‘normal’.

It’s too late now, but your doing a factory reset was probably unnecessary, when it was probably just a hiccup twixt your Selekt and router. Restarting is usually all I’ve found necessary.

The update you mention was what, exactly?

Last edited:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Moomintroll

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recall when my Akurate came back to me after the Katalyst update, it was in ‘factory reset’ and there were dozens of settings to tweak before I looked ‘normal’.

It’s too late now, but your doing a factory reset was probably unnecessary, when it was probably just a hiccup twixt your Selekt and router. Restarting is usually all I’ve found necessary.

The update you mention was what, exactly?
It was just the standard software update it requested I do. It’s very strange and not being able to get to the parameter web page to configure it means I can’t do anything. Konfig only has a few parameters and none seem to solve the issue, I’ve emailed Linn but not sure what their support is like. I have a feeling it has downloaded some Exakt features and is looking for the Exakt box that I don’t have but I don’t know really

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was just the standard software update it requested I do. It’s very strange and not being able to get to the parameter web page to configure it means I can’t do anything. Konfig only has a few parameters and none seem to solve the issue, I’ve emailed Linn but not sure what their support is like. I have a feeling it has downloaded some Exakt features and is looking for the Exakt box that I don’t have but I don’t know really
OK, don’t panic, we’ll collectively get you sorted. Firstly, you won’t get a reply from Linn until next week - they only work M-F, usually 8-5pm.

I had loan KDS once that got into all sorts of knots until I got it sorted.

First up, you say you can actually play music through it, it’s just that the software bits are in a mess. Is that correct? If so, then it’s getting an IP address and your router is OK.

Secondly, as @Nopiano says, the factory reset was probably unnecessary. What that’s possibly done is disassociate the DSM from your Linn Account, which could be why you’re getting the “Loading” message. (Bear with us, if we are vague on some points, I certainly haven’t done this bit very often, or recently). What I suggest you do is try what says in Manage Systems about adding a DSM to your account and letting us know how you get on.

Linn Account creation and adding/removing Linn DS/DSM from your account​

The Linn Account Manage system requires your Linn DS/DSM to be attached to a “Linn Account”. You can do this by using the Kazoo App:

1. Go into the latest version of Kazoo and select Settings
  2. Select the Linn Account tab
  3. If you do not have a Linn Account then you can instantly register for one.
  4. After registration and Log-in you will see the Linn DS players on your network. ADD or REMOVE the Linn DS/DSM players from your Linn account.
Thirdly, you’re right in that Konfig seems to think that you should have an Exakt device connected - I expect that this is because it doesn’t know about your M140s now, so these will need to be added.

Probably best to do all all this in Linn Account and avoid Konfig if you can.

’troll

Reactions: Nopiano

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
OK, don’t panic, we’ll collectively get you sorted. Firstly, you won’t get a reply from Linn until next week - they only work M-F, usually 8-5pm.

I had loan KDS once that got into all sorts of knots until I got it sorted.

First up, you say you can actually play music through it, it’s just that the software bits are in a mess. Is that correct? If so, then it’s getting an IP address and your router is OK.

Secondly, as @Nopiano says, the factory reset was probably unnecessary. What that’s possibly done is disassociate the DSM from your Linn Account, which could be why you’re getting the “Loading” message. (Bear with us, if we are vague on some points, I certainly haven’t done this bit very often, or recently). What I suggest you do is try what says in Manage Systems about adding a DSM to your account and letting us know how you get on.

Linn Account creation and adding/removing Linn DS/DSM from your account​

The Linn Account Manage system requires your Linn DS/DSM to be attached to a “Linn Account”. You can do this by using the Kazoo App:

1. Go into the latest version of Kazoo and select Settings
  2. Select the Linn Account tab
  3. If you do not have a Linn Account then you can instantly register for one.
  4. After registration and Log-in you will see the Linn DS players on your network. ADD or REMOVE the Linn DS/DSM players from your Linn account.
Thirdly, you’re right in that Konfig seems to think that you should have an Exakt device connected - I expect that this is because it doesn’t know about your M140s now, so these will need to be added.

Probably best to do all all this in Linn Account and avoid Konfig if you can.

’troll
Thanks! It does have an IP address. It’s connected to Tidal and my NAS. It streams ok but nothing comes out of the speakers. I can see the DSM on the LINN account page and I’ve added it through the LINN app. However when I click on the DSM it just says loading. I’ve done something stupid somewhere 😀

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
However when I click on the DSM it just says loading. I’ve done something stupid somewhere
Not necessarily, it could just be a glitch at the Linn end. I’m loathe to suggest “removing” from your Linn Account and re-adding it, when it could just settle down. Without “hands on” it’s difficult to know what to suggest. If it was mine, I’d remove it and start from scratch, any Optimisations will still be there, associated with your room, not the DSM. However, you may just wish to wait and talk to the Helpline on Monday.

’troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just noticed these FAQs at the bottom of Manage Systems -

How do I remove a Linn DS/DSM from my Linn Account​

There are THREE ways to do this:
1. If you are on the same network as the Linn DS/DSM then:

a) go into Kazoo Settings > Linn Account and log in to the Linn Account that currently has the Linn DS/DSMb) This will give a list of Linn DS/DSM on this network and REMOVE the required Linn DS/DSM.c) Complete

2. If you do not have access the Linn Account that the Linn DS/DSM is linked to:

a) Open Konfigb) Goto the ADVANCED tabc) Select the Linn DS/DSM to be unlinked from the Linn Account and hit the <RESTORE>. This will do a factory reset on the Linn DS/DSM and remove this from the Linn Account.

3. If the Linn DS powered off and is on your Linn Account and you want unlink it from your Account:

a) Open Manage accountb) Select the Linn DS/DSM you want to remove. If the room is OFF (that is, no mains power), the web-page will state that the Room is offline. This page will also give you the option to REMOVE MUSIC ROOM. Select this option to unlink this Linn DS/DSM from your Linn Account.

As you’ve already done 2. (Correct?) it will be unlinked from your Account, as I suggested earlier. In your Linn Account, if you click on the three dots to the right of “edit settings” does it give you the option to “Add” that DSM?

’troll

HIGHWAY61

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Look in KONFIG........can you click on SPEAKERS ? They have been known to "disappear" for some unknown reason so no music. If so, reapply them and try the TEST signal.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also note in Konfig that it says there are no Phono devices but I
have an LP12 connected that was also working yesterday.
AFAIK, that’s a red herring, as it’s for configuring the cartridge used in a Urika II.

• Upvote
Reactions: allyb and akamatsu

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I click on speakers it says - "Exackt device not found try fallback" - when I press the fallback button it just says "no devices found". Will keep trying :)

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I click on speakers it says - "Exackt device not found try fallback" - when I press the fallback button it just says "no devices found". Will keep trying :)
Have you tried my suggestion in #10?

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Solved it - had to create a brand new Linn account and associate the device with that. 5 hours of a Saturday put to good use :). Thanks for all the advice chaps
Well, when I say 'solved it' I can now access the configuration over the web!. Progress but now it just isn't working. Now I see the below in the 'Space' config. Still no sound. I was going to to upgrade but with this nonsense I might as well go back to the old 'non-software' days:)

"The system's channel configuration is not permitted for Space Optimisation.

A system must have a minimum of Front Left + Front Right or Mono (Series 3).

All speakers must be in pairs (except Center, Mono or LFE)."

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, when I say 'solved it' I can now access the configuration over the web!. Progress but now it just isn't working. Now I see the below in the 'Space' config. Still no sound. I was going to to upgrade but with this nonsense I might as well go back to the old 'non-software' days:)

"The system's channel configuration is not permitted for Space Optimisation.

A system must have a minimum of Front Left + Front Right or Mono (Series 3).

All speakers must be in pairs (except Center, Mono or LFE)."
Excellent progress. Have you accidentally added two speakers to the same (L or R) channel?

’troll

allyb

New Wammer
Sep 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not physically... I can't configure them in the web config either.

When I click on the 'General' tab and then on Network Player -> Selekt DSM I get the error. "Modular device was not found. Please wait a few seconds to allow it to be discovered. If this issue persists, please contact Linn Support."

It's got itself in a mess somewhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online