Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I tell the story of my ownership of Klipschorns. Lived in 2 floors of terraced house and had to consider neighbours adjacent. One day, the builders were working next door so I turned the volume up until the windows shook, popped next door and asked
’can you hear the music in there?’’
”What music?”
Which was JUST the right answer!!!
(strangely, later, I could hear their dog bark, but no music penetrated!)

Reactions: MVJ

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I tell the story of my ownership of Klipschorns. Lived in 2 floors of terraced house and had to consider neighbours adjacent. One day, the builders were working next door so I turned the volume up until the windows shook, popped next door and asked
’can you hear the music in there?’’
”What music?”
Which was JUST the right answer!!!
(strangely, later, I could hear their dog bark, but no music penetrated!)
I wish that was the case for me, my neighbour also plays music, so I know it comes through the wall. If he's having a bit of a head bang, I can hear it over my TV. :cool:

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wish that was the case for me, my neighbour also plays music, so I know it comes through the wall. If he's having a bit of a head bang, I can hear it over my TV. :cool:
I'm so lucky to live in a detached house with my own music room with absolutely solid walls sadly the same can't be said for the floor & ceilings but even if hilary is watching tv in the lounge I can shut my door & let it rip (well my kind of rip anyway)😝

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I got myself a pair of current production ATC SCM 20asl Pro II, picked them up as mint, ex demo, from an ATC dealer.
I thought folks would be interested in how they compare with my Opals in the same set up.
I used both speakers with a pair of BK Electronics 10" sealed subs. Both Opals/ATC had to be modified to provide a high level output for the subs and they were mounted directly over the subs using Iso-Acoustics stand offs. Both were used with all speaker controls set flat, my preferred sound on each.

The Opals, sound better with the subs, but are happy as a stand alone set up, the ATC's roll off much earlier and NEED the subs. The ATC's go louder before setting off room effects in my smallish near field listening arrangement, though the Opals reach neighbour annoying levels before the room complains. This is probably just the difference between Ported and Sealed boxes.
My Pass-Labs XP-12 Pre Amp is just a touch soft at the top and is often cited, in a generalisation, as a cross between classic Tube and SS sound. I found the Opals sound a little too soft at the top and not quite as transparent as the ATC's when paired with it, though this is only in a direct comparison. I certainly didn't think the opals sounded rounded off at the top, when in this set up at the WAM show. The Opals sound very pleasing and easy to listen to with any kind of music. The ATC's are ultra transparent and detailed, vocals and acoustic instruments have that in the room realism, but they are less tolerant of poor recordings.
Both models image extremely well, with the ATC's just a nose ahead, individual instruments or voices, pop out of a more clearly defend space.
Both are very good speakers, I think it comes down to which mates best with your sources and Pre Amp, there is no "Best" here. With my equipment, the Pass Labs/ATC has slightly better synergy than the Opals. That coupled with parts/repair availability, means the ATC,s are my long term solution. But if you don't want to use a sub/subs and your source is neutral/brite-ish, I dare say the Opals would be an easy choice, each plays to its strengths.

P.S. The Opals make slightly less noise when powered up and switched off, the ATC manual says to expect some noise, which is normal and harmless. I expect this is the same for Opals. So those, like me, who experience slight switch on/off farts and soft thumps need not worry, its not likely to be a fault, just the way they are.
Just had another read of your write up Ken good to hear your observations between the ATC & Opal Are so positive. I would have expected the ATC being intended for domestic use would be less transparent than the Opals.

So are you going to turn into mr speaker swopper now or are you committing to the ATC a speaker brand I've never heard btw. It's also good to hear my farting speakers are just fine too although they have been silent since the show which is strange🤔

I have my system set up really well now and have no intention of changing anything till I have to so I'm a happy bunny.

Reactions: Qwin

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just had another read of your write up Ken good to hear your observations between the ATC & Opal Are so positive. I would have expected the ATC being intended for domestic use would be less transparent than the Opals.

So are you going to turn into mr speaker swopper now or are you committing to the ATC a speaker brand I've never heard btw. It's also good to hear my farting speakers are just fine too although they have been silent since the show which is strange🤔

I have my system set up really well now and have no intention of changing anything till I have to so I'm a happy bunny.
The ATC's I have are not from their domestic range.
The SCM 20ASL Pro II (Active Super Linear, Professional Mk2) are very much a Pro near field monitor, priced at £5.2k/Pair and only available in textured Black finish. Its a 20L sealed box two way, with a 7.5" midwoofer and a silk dome tweeter. Class AB amps running in class A to about 60w. Everything designed/made in house. (like the Opal).
Because the ATC's, coupled with the subs, work so well with my Pass Labs Pre and Eversolo streaming DAC, I'm pretty much set. I still have the Opals and my heavily modified/semi active Yamaha NS1000m monitors. The ATC/subs are my retirement set up, good warranty and spares/repair service. Without the subs, I found the ATC's very underwhelming, -6dB at 55Hz just doesn't cut it for me. I have good audible bass now, down to below 30Hz, plenty of slam and that legendary ATC midrange. Yes even the two ways have a great midrange.

ATC_Sub_Stack.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: m7rso and MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The ATC's I have are not from their domestic range.
The SCM 20ASL Pro II (Active Super Linear, Professional Mk2) are very much a Pro near field monitor, priced at £5.2k/Pair and only available in textured Black finish. Its a 20L sealed box two way, with a 7.5" midwoofer and a silk dome tweeter. Class AB amps running in class A to about 60w. Everything designed/made in house. (like the Opal).
Because the ATC's, coupled with the subs, work so well with my Pass Labs Pre and Eversolo streaming DAC, I'm pretty much set. I still have the Opals and my heavily modified/semi active Yamaha NS1000m monitors. The ATC/subs are my retirement set up, good warranty and spares/repair service. Without the subs, I found the ATC's very underwhelming, -6dB at 55Hz just doesn't cut it for me. I have good audible bass now, down to below 30Hz, plenty of slam and that legendary ATC midrange. Yes even the two ways have a great midrange.
Pretty good to have the opals in Reserve too👌🏻

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Qwin How are you getting on with the ATC's Ken are you pining for the Opals yet?😝

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
@Qwin How are you getting on with the ATC's Ken are you pining for the Opals yet?😝
Ha Ha, no quite the reverse.
As stand alone speakers, the Opals beat the ATC 20 Pro II actives, hands down, no denying that.
The ATC's have very little bass and sound quite unremarkable because of this.
Hook my pair of subs up and it adds a little to the bottom end of the Opals.
The change to the ATC's is huge, and pushes them ahead of the Opals.
This is my opinion, using my gear in my room of course YMMV.
The ATC's have a really clear top end, cymbals sound cleaner and shimmer longer. Mid range is so, so good, vocals and acoustic instruments sound more "in the room". I have more wow moments with the ATC/Subs. It's funny, but these elements don't seem to stand out without the subs. Funny how the bottom end is the foundation for everything else. So I'm very content with my Amp/Speaker set up.
I'm upgrading my Eversolo streaming DAC at present, adding a linear power supply and changing RCA digital in/out's to 75 ohm BNC connectors.

Cheers and Happy New Year to Everyone.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ha Ha, no quite the reverse.
As stand alone speakers, the Opals beat the ATC 20 Pro II actives, hands down, no denying that.
The ATC's have very little bass and sound quite unremarkable because of this.
Hook my pair of subs up and it adds a little to the bottom end of the Opals.
The change to the ATC's is huge, and pushes them ahead of the Opals.
This is my opinion, using my gear in my room of course YMMV.
The ATC's have a really clear top end, cymbals sound cleaner and shimmer longer. Mid range is so, so good, vocals and acoustic instruments sound more "in the room". I have more wow moments with the ATC/Subs. It's funny, but these elements don't seem to stand out without the subs. Funny how the bottom end is the foundation for everything else. So I'm very content with my Amp/Speaker set up.
I'm upgrading my Eversolo streaming DAC at present, adding a linear power supply and changing RCA digital in/out's to 75 ohm BNC connectors.

Cheers and Happy New Year to Everyone.
Happy New Year Ken Really glad your settled (for now maybe) stick some pics up so I can see your set up👍

I'm still happy with my Opals they seem to give me what I like so I'm not tempted to trys subs or try another active yet but never say never.

Are you planning on showing again in 2024 of are having a break?
I'm not but I will be going on the Sat to muck in & help.

All The Best.

Steve.

Reactions: Qwin

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
As Steve knows (because he bought my Opals!), I also have ATC’s but SCM40A’s from their domestic range. They are regarded by many as the sweet spot in terms of performance per pound.

I loved my time with the Opals but the ATC’s are definitely a step up and the best speaker I have owned to date. They do not lack bass! Indeed in my room, the bass can actually be too much, they hit far far harder than the Opals which is surprising given they both use 8” drivers and the ATC’s are sealed. They also sound great on everything. My ATC’s do not run the highest spec of drivers that you see in some of the Pro and more expensive models. Current RRP £7750 but they can be had used for under five grand.

I find the whole presentation more musical, rhythms are portrayed better, the midrange as expected is exceptional and they have a scale, refinement and an ease of delivery that the Opals cannot match. They need cranking up to get the best from them (still do sound great quieter but sound better louder) but they are truly fantastic speakers.

I loved my time with the Opals and they were great value for money. They share much of the great midrange of the ATC, you can hear everything that’s going on and they don’t sound like your typical studio monitor i.e. overly analytical. However I’d definitely recommend active ATC’s if anyone is looking to upgrade from Opals.

Cheers

Jez

Last edited:

Jezmond

Wammer
May 21, 2021
Oh for reference, the rest of my main system is current as follows:

WT Simplex with Hana SL. LP12 in the background with various shiny bits including a Karousel and an Aro.

Brinkmann Fein phono preamp with vol control.

Bluesound Node2i with Fidelity Audio’s LPSU, and clock upgrade. Feeding a Weiss DAC202.

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
As Steve knows (because he bought my Opals!), I also have ATC’s but SCM40A’s from their domestic range. They are regarded by many as the sweet spot in the range in terms of performance per pound.

I loved my time with the Opals but the ATC’s are definitely a step up and the best speaker I have owned to date. They do not lack bass! Indeed in my room, the bass can actually be too much, they hit far far harder than the Opals which is surprising given they both use 8” drivers and the ATC’s are sealed. They also sound great on everything. My ATC’s do not run the highest spec of drivers that you see in some of the Pro and more expensive models. Current RRP £7750 but they can be had used for under five grand.

I find the whole presentation more musical, rhythms are portrayed better, the midrange as expected is exceptional and they have a scale, refinement and an ease of delivery that the Opals cannot match. They need cranking up to get the best from them (still do sound great quieter but sound better louder) but they are truly fantastic speakers.

I loved my time with the Opals and they were great value for money. They share much of the great midrange of the ATC, you can hear everything that’s going on and they don’t sound like your typical studio monitor i.e. overly analytical. However I’d definitely recommend active ATC’s if anyone is looking to upgrade from Opals.

Cheers

Jez
Hi Jez, I looked long and hard at the ATC range before deciding on the 20 Pro II (active).
I wanted active speakers, as its my preference and lowers the box count.
I like good quality fairly deep bass (at least -3dB 30Hz in room), anyone that's heard one of my set ups knows this is the case.
I wanted a system that was easy to move around and transport at my age.

I looked at ATC's Domestic and Pro Ranges, both in terms of written specs (ATC are very truthful about performance) and user reviews. I came to the conclusion that most ATC's lack deep bass and require sub woofer/s for my normal listening enjoyment. I'm not talking about bass power (SPL), they have that in spades, more true depth.
I had about £5k budget and several used examples, of older active 50's came just within budget. Some had even been upgraded by ATC to latest tweeter/XO and amp packs, so they matched current production. But these have an awkward short stand and for me, still need subs. I had already decided two 10" subs were the way to go and they would be used as stands for the main speakers. So using the subs this way, ruled out the domestic active 40's and 19's as they are both floor standers. The two way 19's use the best drivers and are a good price. The three way 40's don't use the best mid dome or woofer available, but were still very tempting. The larger three way ported 50's can be brought up to latest tweeter spec and have the best mid dome and woofer, but are big and very heavy.

Weighing everything up, I went with an ex demo pair of active two way 20's, as they use the top flight drivers and being stand mounts, could sit on the subs using small isolator stands. They have weak bass f6 55Hz, but that is not important when using a pair of subs has already been decided. My subs are forward firing sealed box, the 20's are also sealed box. Both use all analogue active XO's and class AB amps with big linear power supplies. I modified the 20's so they now have high level outputs, to supply the subs from their midbass amplifiers. It's not surprising then, that they blend well/seamlessly. The ex demo 20's have three years warranty and with the new subs, still came inside my budget.

Its not the way most folks would have gone, but it works for me, in my modestly sized room, where my listening position (8 feet) is almost near field. I have the imaging and detail of a nearfield monitor, combined with accurate bass to below 30Hz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jezmond and m7rso

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.