EVENT OPAL

underbridge

New Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sharing from google drive 226MB lossless dsf sound track

Spring Moonlight River.dsf

Guys, I have some problem from listening to "Spring moonlight river.dsf " with my Opal. Starting from 50s where starts the heavy deep low freq drum, with maximum volume i feel the coil reached maximum moveable space caused cracking noise. When I reduced to -5db it was gone. Anyone want to try?

Reactions: MVJ

squarewave

New Wammer
Dec 21, 2021
Encore...

Attachments

• HF Multi Tone.WAV
    22.7 MB
  • LF Multi Tone.WAV
    22.7 MB
  • OPAL COMPLETE SERVICE GUIDE V2.pdf
    36.4 MB · Views: 5

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sharing from google drive 226MB lossless dsf sound track

Spring Moonlight River.dsf

Guys, I have some problem from listening to "Spring moonlight river.dsf " with my Opal. Starting from 50s where starts the heavy deep low freq drum, with maximum volume i feel the coil reached maximum moveable space caused cracking noise. When I reduced to -5db it was gone. Anyone want to try?
Hi Underbridge, Maybe the clue is the 'Heavy Deep Low feq Bass' what were the indicator lights doing when the cracking noise was occuring? I would'nt risk doing it again you could do permanent damage mate🫣

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Nice to see all the schematics in one PDF file, thanks for that.
If you have done it Ken Then it must be ok so I have just done it too.

I must say it makes as much sense as a spilled pan of spagetti🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Qwin

underbridge

New Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Underbridge, Maybe the clue is the 'Heavy Deep Low feq Bass' what were the indicator lights doing when the cracking noise was occuring? I would'nt risk doing it again you could do permanent damage mate🫣
No, the power limit indicator was acting normal. not limiting the power.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well all gone quiet on here🤔

Still enjoying my Opals very much👌🏻

Hornucopia

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2009
Bristol, , United Ki
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Haven’t looked at Opals for a while. Have they evolved/improved I wonder. Must have a look.
Whole ‘end-game’ for many I’m sure.
but running at ‘full volume -post 788 - seems a bad idea!

underbridge

New Wammer
Dec 23, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haven’t looked at Opals for a while. Have they evolved/improved I wonder. Must have a look.
Whole ‘end-game’ for many I’m sure.
but running at ‘full volume -post 788 - seems a bad idea!
Yes, it was a bad idea. I think I need to add an extra woofer for low freq.

Qwin

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2013
Carlisle - UK
AKA
Ken
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Well, I got myself a pair of current production ATC SCM 20asl Pro II, picked them up as mint, ex demo, from an ATC dealer.
I thought folks would be interested in how they compare with my Opals in the same set up.
I used both speakers with a pair of BK Electronics 10" sealed subs. Both Opals/ATC had to be modified to provide a high level output for the subs and they were mounted directly over the subs using Iso-Acoustics stand offs. Both were used with all speaker controls set flat, my preferred sound on each.

The Opals, sound better with the subs, but are happy as a stand alone set up, the ATC's roll off much earlier and NEED the subs. The ATC's go louder before setting off room effects in my smallish near field listening arrangement, though the Opals reach neighbour annoying levels before the room complains. This is probably just the difference between Ported and Sealed boxes.
My Pass-Labs XP-12 Pre Amp is just a touch soft at the top and is often cited, in a generalisation, as a cross between classic Tube and SS sound. I found the Opals sound a little too soft at the top and not quite as transparent as the ATC's when paired with it, though this is only in a direct comparison. I certainly didn't think the opals sounded rounded off at the top, when in this set up at the WAM show. The Opals sound very pleasing and easy to listen to with any kind of music. The ATC's are ultra transparent and detailed, vocals and acoustic instruments have that in the room realism, but they are less tolerant of poor recordings.
Both models image extremely well, with the ATC's just a nose ahead, individual instruments or voices, pop out of a more clearly defend space.
Both are very good speakers, I think it comes down to which mates best with your sources and Pre Amp, there is no "Best" here. With my equipment, the Pass Labs/ATC has slightly better synergy than the Opals. That coupled with parts/repair availability, means the ATC,s are my long term solution. But if you don't want to use a sub/subs and your source is neutral/brite-ish, I dare say the Opals would be an easy choice, each plays to its strengths.

P.S. The Opals make slightly less noise when powered up and switched off, the ATC manual says to expect some noise, which is normal and harmless. I expect this is the same for Opals. So those, like me, who experience slight switch on/off farts and soft thumps need not worry, its not likely to be a fault, just the way they are.

• Love
Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, I got myself a pair of current production ATC SCM 20asl Pro II, picked them up as mint, ex demo, from an ATC dealer.
I thought folks would be interested in how they compare with my Opals in the same set up.
I used both speakers with a pair of BK Electronics 10" sealed subs. Both Opals/ATC had to be modified to provide a high level output for the subs and they were mounted directly over the subs using Iso-Acoustics stand offs. Both were used with all speaker controls set flat, my preferred sound on each.

The Opals, sound better with the subs, but are happy as a stand alone set up, the ATC's roll off much earlier and NEED the subs. The ATC's go louder before setting off room effects in my smallish near field listening arrangement, though the Opals reach neighbour annoying levels before the room complains. This is probably just the difference between Ported and Sealed boxes.
My Pass-Labs XP-12 Pre Amp is just a touch soft at the top and is often cited, in a generalisation, as a cross between classic Tube and SS sound. I found the Opals sound a little too soft at the top and not quite as transparent as the ATC's when paired with it, though this is only in a direct comparison. I certainly didn't think the opals sounded rounded off at the top, when in this set up at the WAM show. The Opals sound very pleasing and easy to listen to with any kind of music. The ATC's are ultra transparent and detailed, vocals and acoustic instruments have that in the room realism, but they are less tolerant of poor recordings.
Both models image extremely well, with the ATC's just a nose ahead, individual instruments or voices, pop out of a more clearly defend space.
Both are very good speakers, I think it comes down to which mates best with your sources and Pre Amp, there is no "Best" here. With my equipment, the Pass Labs/ATC has slightly better synergy than the Opals. That coupled with parts/repair availability, means the ATC,s are my long term solution. But if you don't want to use a sub/subs and your source is neutral/brite-ish, I dare say the Opals would be an easy choice, each plays to its strengths.

P.S. The Opals make slightly less noise when powered up and switched off, the ATC manual says to expect some noise, which is normal and harmless. I expect this is the same for Opals. So those, like me, who experience slight switch on/off farts and soft thumps need not worry, its not likely to be a fault, just the way they are.
Thanks for the write up Ken it's very interesting👌🏻

Reactions: Qwin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online