Flash sale! Sony 333-ESD (TDA1541-based) CD player - serviced and upgraded late 2021 [SOLD]

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a requirement of a Wam ad that you include a picture of the actual item for sale. I took a few in a rush yesterday. I should be able to provide better ones later in the week but  this is in minty condition and comes fresh from a thorough service and upgrade to give the new owner years of hassle-free pleasure (service details below the line).

IMG_9345.jpeg IMG_9347.jpeg IMG_9348.jpeg

Classic Sony 333ESD CD Player with TDA1541 DAC chip. Check out the Lampizator's view (for avoidance of doubt, mine has not had the radical Lampizator treatment) at http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/REFERENCES/sony 333/SonyCDP333ESD.html: "The CDP333ESD is almost the ideal optimal Sony - with top mechanism (BU1-KSS190A)  and with top DAC.  It is only bettered by the 337ESD which has two dacs. Otherwise - nothing beats the 333. Not even the 557ESD.  If you can find it - GET IT, If you own it - hold on to it." I'm ignoring that advice.

Collection from near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, preferred but can pack it carefully for shipping. Offering it here ahead of the 'bay and seeking £499 or near offer; full asking price includes mainland UK shipping if applicable. If you live in the the area broadly bounded by Kendal, Liverpool, Birmingham to the west and York, Leeds, Sheffield, Notts, Leicester to the east then we might be able to arrange a drop-off/pick-up if you can be patient.

Musical, unfatiguing, etc, the ‘1541 is much loved by many and rightly so. PM me if you need a rock solid example of this classic TDA1541 player in your hifi stable.

I bought this from France last year. This model predates EU voltage harmonisation (at 230v) so was a straight 220v; it has been converted to 240v for UK.

Mike P (of pfm) performed the overhaul and says:

"I'm pleased to say that it's a nice example in really tidy condition. You did well there. No major issues to report."

Serviced:

• Clean laser optics.
  • Full strip down, clean and re-lube of tray loading mech with new superior quality belts from Nanocamp Audio (Mike had these belts specially commissioned).
  • Adjust laser focus bias, EF balance, focus gain and tracking gain.
  • Adjust PLL frequency
  • Strip down clean and lubricate turntable motor.
  • Lubricate tray loading motors
  • Clean and lubricate laser sled.
  • Repair any dry solder joints (there were some quite bad ones on the RCA sockets).
  • Check mains plug (replaced the 13A fuse with a 5A).
  • Test.

Fixed:

• screw replaced with matching Sony screw! (Yes, he's that fussy)
  • tray loading mech cleaned of grease, correct fluid used
  • missing laser lock catch replaced

Upgraded:

• Upgrade TDA1541 bit decoupling capacitors from ceramic (yuk!) to 220nF PPS film
  • Upgrade output coupling capacitors (Nichicon Muse ES bipolar)
  • Upgrade DAC +5v and -5v supplies decoupling capacitors (Elna Silmic)
  • Upgrade opamp +15v/-15v supplies decoupling capacitors (Elna Silmic)
  • Upgrade DAC DEM oscillator capacitor (Wima FKP 470pF)
  • Upgrade digital filter +5v decoupling capacitor (Panasonic FC plus local ceramic bypass and ferrite bead for noise filtering)

"The laser is giving a very nice clean RF eye pattern with about 1.0v pk-pk amplitude which is good and shows that the laser is in good health with plenty of life left."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cambs12

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The ‘555 is of course the legend in this lineup. Same DAC chip, same steel chassis but the 555's is copper-coated, dual transformers vs single on the 333. That’s it. Going rate for '555 is typically £1100+ - and rising.

The stock ‘333 offers 99% of the the bang for a lot less buck. And that’s without the upgrades on mine.

Cambs12

Apr 11, 2010
Cambridgeshire
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a 333 a few years back. Super build quality, and super smooth operation from the drive tray. Puts many much more expensive & newer machines to shame...

Reactions: TheFlash

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SOLD subject to payment. Mods, please do not move to Sold Items yet, give me 24 hours to confirm payment if you will. Thanks.

UPDATE: Sold and Paid. Mods, please archive. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.