Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've pretty much got rid of iTunes and my lossless cd rips, and I'm pretty impressed with how Spotify sounds with a chromecast audio into my cdp2. I can't help but feel a 2k DAC is a waste though what with all this 24bit/384 support when I'm only playing 256kbit through it. Perhaps an all in one streaming box or a cdp with digital inputs would be better?

I can't see myself buying any more CDs really though - I only have about 250, can't see myself selling them either though.

Not sure which way to go really, my main format is vinyl but Spotify is just so convenient.

Nagraboy

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2014
Nottingham
AKA
Greg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like the Chromecast and Quad are all you need. You could put £2k towards a Tannoy upgrade instead maybe :dunno:

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My view, which I know many disagree with, is that an external DAC is wasted with ANY digital source, as whatever's provided with the kit is good enough for transparency.

I accept that if you want to change the sound (note, not improve it, just change it) then an external DAC may do that, but then so will tone controls.

S.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listen to free Spotify through my Win7/64 setup and TBH it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the CD streaming from the HD through jRiver. I'd say if that is your main source then a decent DAC is slightly wasted, but it could be that the premium version is a decent step up from free, I don't know and won't listen enough to it to make the switch viable.

Mind you, looks like you've answered your own question really :D

radamel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2013
Western Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My view, which I know many disagree with, is that an external DAC is wasted with ANY digital source, as whatever's provided with the kit is good enough for transparency.I accept that if you want to change the sound (note, not improve it, just change it) then an external DAC may do that, but then so will tone controls.

S.
I disagree with you wholeheartedly!

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I hooked a cheap Beresford external DAC up to a Yamaha CD player at a recent bakeoff and there was a huge improvement in the sound. I can't explain it, and hadn't really heard such an improvement before from a DAC, but the jump in quality was significant.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I disagree with you wholeheartedly!
You might like to look at the numbers on any DAC that come with the kit, and tell me what an external DAC will improve on. Distortion? Noise? Frequency Response? If none of those, then what?

S.

- - - Updated - - -

I hooked a cheap Beresford external DAC up to a Yamaha CD player at a recent bakeoff and there was a huge improvement in the sound. I can't explain it, and hadn't really heard such an improvement before from a DAC, but the jump in quality was significant.
I can accept there may have been a change in quality, but an improvement in quality requires there to be some criterion on which the comparison is made. If none, then it's just your opinion as to how the sound changed. I could equally say there was no improvement, or indeed the sound was worse. That would be my opinion, and not anything objective.

S.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Oh God here we go again...
Yes, because we're just back to opinions, which to my mind are only of value to those expressing them, they have no value to anyone else.

S.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well please stop crushing the fun out of this forum. Why can't you let people have an opinion in peace without doggedly whipping out your oscilloscope every five minutes...

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well please stop crushing the fun out of this forum. Why can't you let people have an opinion in peace without doggedly whipping out your oscilloscope every five minutes...
Why should having different opinions 'crush the fun out of this forum' What is 'fun' about making statements that aren't backed up by verifiable facts? I might as well say that carpet grippers make the sound better. Just as valid, it's my opinion, which is seemingly sacrosanct and 'fun'.

S.

Tamlin

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2015
Reading
AKA
Sean
Well, on the other hand, he is kind-of trying to answer the OP's question. Personally, I enjoy the differences between DACs. One better than the rest? Nah.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Serge you have my utmost respect. I just laughed out loud because I love the fact that you have such a steadfast opinion. One I very much respect BTW, I'm certainly not criticising it.

I can only say that the whole room was shocked at what they perceived to be an improvement in sound quality. That's good enough for me.

SMEagol

Middle Earthed
Wammer Plus
Aug 13, 2008
Lancashire
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe sometimes unverified facts just happen to sound better, like as someone once pointed out, how a rare steak and a creme brûlée wouldn't measure well according to a perceived knowledge of food if you were a visiting alien. Musics not a science it speaks on a personal level, people like valves, they are full of distortion, yet do something special, veiled or not. Jamming a femtosecond clock on a a couple of DACs at a bake off, including those fitted with one made a noticeable difference, we didn't feel the need for a technical dissection.

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why should having different opinions 'crush the fun out of this forum' What is 'fun' about making statements that aren't backed up by verifiable facts? I might as well say that carpet grippers make the sound better. Just as valid, it's my opinion, which is seemingly sacrosanct and 'fun'..
It's not a 'fact' that 16/44.1 khz digital audio is 'perfect' as the Nyquist frequency of 22 khz is too close to the audio band meaning that any anti-aliasing filter will involve compromises and will have effect in the audio band. It isn't possible to debate that because it's maths.

ff1d1l

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2010
Snowdonia
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Yamaha DVD S-2700 was the one at the bakeoff. I'd actually taken it to see if an external dac would make a difference. I'd say all in the room could hear lowered distortion and increased resolution. This is different to what could be effected by the manipulation of tone controls. In any case, my perception was that tonal balance was unchanged, just a great deal more was coming through, as if accessing a recording a generation nearer the master. Further improvement - not difference, improvement - was again heard by all when the Wyred 4 Sound re clocker was used. If measurements would say these two results were identical, then frankly measurements are measuring the wrong thing. But as neither S A nor his scope was present, forming any judgement on what we heard, in absentia, seems inappropriate.

I'm not a box swapper, and money is only very reluctantly prised from my hot little hand, nevertheless I subsequently went out and bought a dac and the re clocker. I count it as money very well spent. Enough said.

my advice to the original poster would be to try it, and also if possible try the little Wyred 4 Sound remedy, as the improvement wrought is not subtle.

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've pretty much got rid of iTunes and my lossless cd rips, and I'm pretty impressed with how Spotify sounds with a chromecast audio into my cdp2. I can't help but feel a 2k DAC is a waste though what with all this 24bit/384 support when I'm only playing 256kbit through it. Perhaps an all in one streaming box or a cdp with digital inputs would be better? I can't see myself buying any more CDs really though - I only have about 250, can't see myself selling them either though.

Not sure which way to go really, my main format is vinyl but Spotify is just so convenient.
I notice you have an Airport Express as a digital source. I'm using one myself at the moment on a temporary basis. It's fine for background music, but to me it sounds as it always has in every incarnation, a bit grey and grainy. My CD transport demolishes it in no uncertain terms (via the same DAC).

Down Serge.

Interested to see earlier today though that iFi Audio are about to launch a version of their iPurifier gizmo for cleaning up SPDif/optical connections, Airport Express friendly via a 'combo' input.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/05/ifi-audios-spdif-ipurifier-debuts-at-fujiya-avic-spring-2016/

taff

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 20, 2013
South Wales & Lo
I'd say yes. But you'd get a bigger improvement going to tidal and streaming native 16/44 via the bubbleupnp app

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.