Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Illogical argument! If suspended floors are "unsuitable" for floorstanders, there are equally unsuitable for stand mounts on a stand. Get the interface between the floor and the speaker sorted (maybe by using a stone slab) and then go for a suitable speaker type - almost invariably a floorstander will be the better choice sound-wise, and they always look better.
The problem with a wooden floor is resonance and isolation. With a floor stander the speaker is in contact with the floor until you isolate it .. with a stand mount the stand is on the floor and the speaker is on the stand and so it is easier to apply isolation (also the fact of having a stand reduces the speaker resonance into the floor). Wooden floors are just a pain in the bum (suspended wooden floors) and as I have quoted in the past a customer of mine many years ago cut a hole in the floor and built up a brick base from the ground for his speakers and his hifi rack to isolate them from the floor.

As to the preference of floor stander over stand mount, I prefer the former as usually the footprint taken up by a stand mount is not a lot different to a floorstander.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It's unfortunate that there's no mention of what those supports are made from. Could be a simple rubber compound (in which case they are probably over-priced) , or neoprene (better), or even Sorbothane though I doubt that or they'd have proudly mentioned it. I'd go for genuine Sorbothane and cut out the size and shape that best suits the speakers and stand.

Sorbothane offer performance tables for their various products that are identified by their Shore Factor - most retal Sorbothane is 50 Shore.

There are facts and figures here - https://www.sorbothane.com/technical-data-sheet.aspx - take a look at the Performance Curves for comparision with rubber and neoprene in controlling vibration. Sorbothane is so superior to others materials, the high cost (though still not much for what the OP needs) is wholly justified.
You are quite correct, so I'll throw in another suggestion which I read has better isolating properties, Newplast :LOL:

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's unfortunate that there's no mention of what those supports are made from. Could be a simple rubber compound (in which case they are probably over-priced) , or neoprene (better), or even Sorbothane though I doubt that or they'd have proudly mentioned it. I'd go for genuine Sorbothane and cut out the size and shape that best suits the speakers and stand.

Sorbothane offer performance tables for their various products that are identified by their Shore Factor - most retal Sorbothane is 50 Shore.

There are facts and figures here - https://www.sorbothane.com/technical-data-sheet.aspx - take a look at the Performance Curves for comparision with rubber and neoprene in controlling vibration. Sorbothane is so superior to others materials, the high cost (though still not much for what the OP needs) is wholly justified.
What’s the difference in properties between a ‘gel’ like the Atacama pads I use, and sorbothane then?

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What’s the difference in properties between a ‘gel’ like the Atacama pads I use, and sorbothane then?
I have no idea if you're asking me. Sorry, but I did a bit of research on Sorbothane, the material that seems to be considered the ideal isolating material in audio systems because I wanted to use the best material for my Avantgarde speaker mods. How your material compares, perhaps you could do similar research and let the rest of us know your findings. I, for one would be interested.

PS - Isn't Atacarma a brand name for a stand and rack company? If so, they could make "Atacarma pads" out of just about anything as the marerial is undisclosed!

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no idea if you're asking me. Sorry, but I did a bit of research on Sorbothane, the material that seems to be considered the ideal isolating material in audio systems because I wanted to use the best material for my Avantgarde speaker mods. How your material compares, perhaps you could do similar research and let the rest of us know your findings. I, for one would be interested.

PS - Isn't Atacarma a brand name for a stand and rack company? If so, they could make "Atacarma pads" out of just about anything as the marerial is undisclosed!
I’ve done a bit of searching and I believe Sorbothane is actually a type of gel. My Atacama gel pads are pretty hard compared with the Sorbothane feet I’ve used on equipment though, but maybe Sorbothane comes in harder varieties. This is how they are described:

“Designed to adhere to speaker stand top plates and are made from a high performance polyurethane elastomer which, as well as being non-slip and non scratch, gives excellent sound and vibration resistance.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.