Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I currently have good old BluTac underneath my speakers atop my stands, and was just wondering if those 'proper' Isolation Gel Pads offer any type of improvement?
One of the good features about the BluTac is that it almost glues the speakers to the stands meaning they are difficult to dislodge accidentally.
But anyway, your thoughts please.

Reactions: uzzy

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I currently have good old BluTac underneath my speakers atop my stands, and was just wondering if those 'proper' Isolation Gel Pads offer any type of improvement?
One of the good features about the BluTac is that it almost glues the speakers to the stands meaning they are difficult to dislodge accidentally.
I tried some and I thought it made the sound worse, so I sent them back for a refund, went back to BlackTac, which is stronger than blutak and looks better. I would say it depends on your speakers and make sure you can get a refund if you try them.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
many folks use iso pucks . i have used under 10 or v11 lots of speakers now with great effect . it grips without ripping off the veneer as blu tac can do

Use IsoAcoustics Mini Pucks under my ProAc Tablette 10 and there was a nice increase in sound quality, and as Phil says they do 'adhere' to the speaker and it's stand, though just not as strongly in my view.:geek:

Reactions: chezi

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The "next up" from Blu-Tak is probably Sorbothane, in terms of ease of use and coat.

It comes in sheet form, mostly a few mm thick and ridicularly expersive per sq ft, but you only need a few small pieces for putting under speakers. In theory there are 4 or 5 grades that are spec's for different loadds per sq cm, but any retail Sorbothane is likely to be an improvement. It is very "sticky" though it easily peels away if you want to remove them - so just as secure as Blu-Tak.

Next up is the sort of thing already mentioned, but these may need fixing to the base of your speaker as only one surface is sticky. I've not used IsoAcoustic Pucks but their Gaia feet are very good under my floor-standing speakers, though moving them is difficult without rocking them first to place a tea towel or simiar under them so they can be easily slid to a new location - but that's only because they weigh 100 Kg each!

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Personally I would stick with the Blue tac (but it will discolour the bottom of the speaker where it attaches). I used it for some years when I had stand speakers .. Its damping quality is as good as sorbothane IMO, it has the advantage of making the mount secure.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like sorbothane. It does a job ..cheaply. For larger spkrs the mounts with an indentation are good and give good grip. I use rubber & sorbothane under the spkr stands & cut 7mm sheet for under component feet. Jobs a goodun.

Reactions: antonio66

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I've now used (various models of) Isoacoustics pucks between different speakers and stands. Each time I've been pleased with improvements in separation, focus and ease. They don't leave a mark on the speakers (blu tack does).

I'm trade - but no connection to Isoacoustics.

Reactions: Nopiano

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've now used (various models of) Isoacoustics pucks between different speakers and stands. Each time I've been pleased with improvements in separation, focus and ease. They don't leave a mark on the speakers (blu tack does).

I'm trade - but no connection to Isoacoustics.
I use Atacama gel pads on the top of speaker stands and IsoAcoustics Gaias for feet under the stands in two of my systems and I think it is a good combination.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although those with suspended wooden floors may disagree with you
Illogical argument! If suspended floors are "unsuitable" for floorstanders, there are equally unsuitable for stand mounts on a stand. Get the interface between the floor and the speaker sorted (maybe by using a stone slab) and then go for a suitable speaker type - almost invariably a floorstander will be the better choice sound-wise, and they always look better.

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i use blutac and atacama gel pads and they both work similar for me

ziggy

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2017
Cardiff
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blue Tac works well for me securing the speakers to heavy metal stands. The second system is more problematic as the speakers are on a cupboard. I found that Iso Pucks brought about a significant improvement.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you don't want to go to the expense of Iso pucks these look ok https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180847489530?_trkparms=amclksrc=I
It's unfortunate that there's no mention of what those supports are made from. Could be a simple rubber compound (in which case they are probably over-priced) , or neoprene (better), or even Sorbothane though I doubt that or they'd have proudly mentioned it. I'd go for genuine Sorbothane and cut out the size and shape that best suits the speakers and stand.

Sorbothane offer performance tables for their various products that are identified by their Shore Factor - most retal Sorbothane is 50 Shore.

There are facts and figures here - https://www.sorbothane.com/technical-data-sheet.aspx - take a look at the Performance Curves for comparision with rubber and neoprene in controlling vibration. Sorbothane is so superior to others materials, the high cost (though still not much for what the OP needs) is wholly justified.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.