Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
Sutton, Surrey
AKA
Kub Johal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Goodness, yes, Laskys in Nottingham. An Audiotronic amp, Later a Yamaha CA510, Celestion Ditton 15xr (tweeters kept blowing !), Garrard 86SB TT, a pioneer tuner and a cassette deck I can't recall the make of. To think of all the unloved valve amplification I could have bought at the time !
Underneath Nottingham city council
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

• Upvote
Reactions: Ian

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Genexxa lx5's from Tandy's in Letchworth, still got them, the best speakers with a bit of tweaking, and there was a franchise in Hitchin, called Kotecha giftronics..... 
Tandy's in Letchworth?  Must have been after I left (in '66).  I grew up there, a great place to leave!  Completely dry until the mid '60s, apart from the local (conservative?) club.  And then only an off-licence!

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A family friend had a great relationship with a Tandy dealership and spent years doing all of his business with them. Realistic gear was usually OEM stuff from major Japanese manufacturers and a lot of their gear had Pioneer DNA. Our friends system was actually quite special.

• Upvote
Reactions: jkbmusic

billthewiz

Wammer
Wammer
May 7, 2011
Scotland
AKA
billy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We had a Tandy in Greenock when I was younger me and my pal bought some stuff.he bought a pair of mach 2 speakers these were big and he had a small room lol and we thought they sounded great 😁I bought realistic speakers about £140 and later a memorex double tape deck for £200 using a old rotel receiver.what I remember it sounded good.i liked to pop in for a look as I was just getting into hifi. 

Reactions: plasticpenguin

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We had a Tandy in Greenock when I was younger me and my pal bought some stuff.he bought a pair of mach 2 speakers these were big and he had a small room lol and we thought they sounded great 😁I bought realistic speakers about £140 and later a memorex double tape deck for £200 using a old rotel receiver.what I remember it sounded good.i liked to pop in for a look as I was just getting into hifi. 
All I can remember, amps aside, from Tandy was those awful Jamo standmount speakers.

hylander

(Fairly) Standard Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 23, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
3 Minimums 7 speakers from Tandy in the mid 80s ! Still got them.

28.jpg

(Brian Eno’s ambient speaker system has a lot to answer for !)

• Upvote
Reactions: jkbmusic

tackleberry

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 28, 2010
Leeds..ish
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Bought some Genexxa GX 700 from Tandy in 92'. My dad bought me after we were burgled and had 'let our insurance lapse'This was my attempt at my first hifi, matched with a Denon PMA 250mk3/DCD 615.

Was the best thing in the world for me at that time as a 13 year old!

Reactions: Tarzan

Bluemessiah

Not now
Wammer
Jun 21, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I used to love Laskys and Tandy. I bought Sharp and JVC cassette decks, Pioneer deck and Goodmans Q45 speakers from Laskys in my mid teens. My first 'new' hi-fi purchases.

Never bought anything from Tandy but their catalogue gave me enormous pleasure, I remember the Minimus speakers!

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still got four pairs of gold plated RCA->RCA interconnects I bought from Tandy's. They were £6.99 each. I bought two for the cassette deck, one for the CD player and one for the turntable. I had to lop the plugs off one end of that one to solder it up inside the turntable, because a TD160 doesn't have RCA sockets. The one I bought for the CD player I eventually also butchered by turning it into a jack-to-phono lead. The other two remain intact and still work fine after 30 years.

BillShatnersToupee

aka MajorFubar
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Lancashire, UK
AKA
Jon Vincent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also remember buying cheap Realistic-branded open reel tape from Tandy's circa 1987-88 when they were the last place in town to sell it. It wasn't particularly great stuff and was prone to squealing on the heads of my Akai 4000DB recorder towards the end of a reel.

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a student in Newcastle in early 80s Laskys had some fine kit -  KEF Coda speakers & a few other Popular HiFi favourites.
My mate bought a pair of Codas & they were very good but not as good on rock as their competitors the AR18s. :^
I used to go in Laskys often to gaze at their splendid Ariston RD 80 turntable.
The nice chap in Tandy in Darlington demoed some Tandy speakers which didn't really cut the mustard.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Great thread! l had forgotten about Laskeys ( stupid getting old >:( :nerves: :D ) often used to walk round the Romford branch to lust.... at thee AR EB1O1 T/T, the Marantz CD273SE, which purchased there, big open spaces full of hifi gear back in the day when music was more important to people than it is today. :(

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember both Tandys and Laskys. We had both in the centre of Birmingham. Tandys was similar to Maplins, whereas Laskys sold various hifi brands such as Quad (I remember seeing their Electrostatics there).

In my early twenties (just over 35 years ago now), I bought a JVC STEREO VHS video recorder from Laskys, stereo on VHS machines was a new development at that time.

I was in my first proper job, a trainee computer operator. From memory the machine cost me £650 (the same price that I had paid for my Sony 27inch (or was it 29 inch?) Trinitron TV) and I had to have the show model as they had no boxed models. I asked the salesman if I could have any discount and the miserable beggar said no, at least you know this one is working okay. I felt a tad peeved but was pleased with the recorder. 

ae111sr

Wammer
Mar 12, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember buying  a JVC JAS 11 amplifier and a JVC tuner from Laskys in Cardiff.  My brother-in-law also bought some JVC kit from them and he's still using it.

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I remember both Tandys and Laskys. We had both in the centre of Birmingham. Tandys was similar to Maplins, whereas Laskys sold various hifi brands such as Quad (I remember seeing their Electrostatics there).

In my early twenties (just over 35 years ago now), I bought a JVC STEREO VHS video recorder from Laskys, stereo on VHS machines was a new development at that time.

I was in my first proper job, a trainee computer operator. From memory the machine cost me £650 (the same price that I had paid for my Sony 27inch (or was it 29 inch?) Trinitron TV) and I had to have the show model as they had no boxed models. I asked the salesman if I could have any discount and the miserable beggar said no, at least you know this one is working okay. I felt a tad peeved but was pleased with the recorder. 
We are roughly the same age but I don’t have any recollection of the branch of Lasky’s? I presume it became another brand and I remember the place as that! Where was it?

mayebaza

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2014
West Midlands
AKA
Barrington
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
We are roughly the same age but I don’t have any recollection of the branch of Lasky’s? I presume it became another brand and I remember the place as that! Where was it?
I recall Lasky's was located at the the top end of Corporation Street opposite Rackhams. I didn't go in there much, it was too main stream for my tastes. I preferred and spent most of my time in Hardmans on the top floor drooling over the high end stuff like the chunky big gold Denons and Missions.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don’t remember it at all! But at that time I was building my stuff so Tandy and Maplin stores would have been a more natural fit for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.