Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Actually, it wasn't those it was these, the bigger ones with the front port, 305s.

Shows how good my memory is, but we were drinking a lot of cheap alcohol back then :D

attachment.php
Cheap alcohol through straws? 

robbyd

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 27, 2014
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Certainly remember the Tandy in Sutton, down the bottom of the High St...

I sort of learned from the mags that the Realistic stuff was no good, not that I could afford anything else at that age. But full of stuff - think I bought some headphones with a sliding volume control on them...

Remember Laskys in Kingston - quite a big shop from memory. Bought my first MFSL lp from there - Solti/Planets - they had a dedicated rack for special vinyl.

Reactions: deggie

notevenclose

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 31, 2007
Perth, Scotland
AKA
Miles
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did any of you buy from these companies?
My first turntable, a Garrard Zero100SB, came from Laskys, when I was 15. Saved up from a summer and weekend job at the local zoo. 

My old man was persuaded to bring it home on a flight to Aberdeen after a business trip to that London (for reasons which now escape me) must have been a total pain in the arse.

Zero100, Sure M75ED, Rotel RA611 and a pair of AR4a. Happy days. I can't even remember where the Rotel came from (Comet maybe?), but the ARs came from a local dealer whom I later ended up working for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eddie-baby

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If I recall it was the …...realistic brand..... they used to push our way..???
Realistic & Radio Shack ....aka Radio Cr@p 😀As an early teen I remember thumbing through the catalogue with wide eyes ..lol

Reactions: deggie

Lord Rockingham

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2018
S Yorks
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought a Realistic CD1000 CD player from Tandy in 1985. Actually, it was an excellent sounding unit, and lasted me 10 years until I sold it on to buy a big Technics M*A*S*H player.

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
This was all pre internet when you could only have things that were in shops that you could get to!

For me, it was Lasky’s and Comet.  Lasky’s sold me my first pair of Hi-Fi ‘speakers; AR18LS ex dem with no grilles. I think I used those for a decade. 

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My first turntable, a Garrard Zero100SB, came from Laskys, when I was 15. Saved up from a summer and weekend job at the local zoo. 

My old man was persuaded to bring it home on a flight to Aberdeen after a business trip to that London (for reasons which now escape me) must have been a total pain in the arse.

Zero100, Sure M75ED, Rotel RA611 and a pair of AR4a. Happy days. I can't even remember where the Rotel came from (Comet maybe?), but the ARs came from a local dealer whom I later ended up working for.
Good stuff.

I always hankered after a pair ARs, but at 16 they were way beyond my financial means.

Smokestack

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Thank you penguin, for reminding some of us just  how old we now are . :D

I'd forgotten that Lasky's even existed !

Hadn't forgotten Tandy because  I often used to pick up components, solder etc from them.

Batty

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2009
Adelaide. Oztrayliya
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the mid 70s they had some nice gear at good prices, got my Shure 55e, Goldring G800 and Nagaoka MP11 from them, oh, and my Koss Pro4 AA cans.

eddie-baby

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 28, 2009
Pembrokehsire
AKA
Eddie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In the mid 70s they had some nice gear at good prices, got my Shure 55e, Goldring G800 and Nagaoka MP121 from them, oh, and my Koss Pro4 AA cans.
I was only joking :)

I spent lots of time in Comet myself as well, there has been some decent gear sold there, there's no doubt about that.

Huntergatherer

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 6, 2009
Old Welwyn,
AKA
Trefor
Well l tell have my lx5s but never found them to be anything special despite the reviews.

watcha gotta do to make em sing?

Funnily enough l live in Welwyn !!

Genexxa lx5's from Tandy's in Letchworth, still got them, the best speakers with a bit of tweaking, and there was a franchise in Hitchin, called Kotecha giftronics..... 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.