MAINS CABLES R US?

RICHARDIIII

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2010
York
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having sold all my cables, I'm looking for a new set. 

Sounds like the MCRU No. 752 are good value, with HiFi Pig saying that they were close to the Studio Connections Black Stars that I had... but much cheaper! 

I like to keep brands the same where I can, and feel this is definitely beneficial with a cable system.

If you own or have heard some of these cables (Speaker, interconnects and mains) did you think there were good cables? I'm planning on their Ultimate Digital, RCA and speaker cables. 

Cheers, 

Richard. 

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve not bought much from MCRU but like several large suppliers I believe they permit returns in a trial period.  There is no substitute for hearing them at home.  Some believe in the ‘loom’ approach; others mix and match.  But best to try one item at a time, or else it’s impossible to judge  

It might help to populate your profile with your kit, as that might influence the contributions you get.   

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: TheFlash

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having sold all my cables, I'm looking for a new set. 

Sounds like the MCRU No. 752 are good value, with HiFi Pig saying that they were close to the Studio Connections Black Stars that I had... but much cheaper! 

I like to keep brands the same where I can, and feel this is definitely beneficial with a cable system.

If you own or have heard some of these cables (Speaker, interconnects and mains) did you think there were good cables? I'm planning on their Ultimate Digital, RCA and speaker cables. 

Cheers, 

Richard. 
https://www.mcru.co.uk/30-day-money-back-guarantee/

Other that not being able to spell tailor, he offers returns if you don't like them. 

I'd try them, if they work for you great, if not, then send them back.

I've never tried MCRU cables, but cables are all subjective anyway.

On a subjective pov, I can thoroughly recommend EWA cables at the moment, having just heard their LS-80 cable which is breathtakingly good.

Reactions: antonio66

callen24returns

Wammer
Oct 11, 2021
Leicester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good to deal with, years back they loaned me 3 different sets of speaker cable to try, all came in one box..

I also suggest that any MCRU branded cables may be available at a small discount if you have a polite conversation with them, via direct contact.

Ihave bought stuff from them, good people to deal with. As are Mark Grant

RICHARDIIII

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2010
York
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
MCRU is a great company , dave always gives good service . bought loads of stuff . i use several of their mains cables . never tried their digital . i just use studio connections reference digital twice 
He's (Dave) been great answering emails after hours.  I've decided to go with them for all my cables. I ordered the Ultimate Digital cable today, and when my old amp sells I'll order the rest. I cant wait for that delivery to arrive! From free mains leads and cheap speaker cables the full shebang! 

tkimages

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2006
St Helens
AKA
Tillman
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He helped me put together the bits and pieces to make my own 10 way mains block, and he didn't sell the me the most expensive, or even quite expensive components.

sgee

Wammer
Aug 21, 2020
Have got MCRU ultimate speaker cables ( 2 x 4 mtrs ) available if you are interested. Not used now as have an active set up.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's plenty of 'uberfoo' stuff on the site, but David's prices are sensible, he's helpful and his stock range is excellent. Most of all, he stocks plenty of 'normal' stuff that's simply decent quality. I've bought a fair few bits from him, mostly bulk cable and connectors, and never had any problem.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's plenty of 'uberfoo' stuff on the site, but David's prices are sensible, he's helpful and his stock range is excellent. Most of all, he stocks plenty of 'normal' stuff that's simply decent quality. I've bought a fair few bits from him, mostly bulk cable and connectors, and never had any problem.
I have had a few dealings with David (MCRU) and he goes out of his way to give top quality service add to that his great easy to use website which makes him one of the best hifi accessories companies around by a country mile.👍

Craig_

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 4, 2020
Norwich
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another recommendation for David - been using him for many a year now for all my ancillary needs. Top bloke.

RICHARDIIII

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2010
York
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dave has been great, its a shame his Trust Pilot reviews aren't that great... it looks like its only the unhappy customers reviewing to vent their frustrations... anyone on here having bought and had good service should balance the scales, I know I will. 

I've just ordered some Ultimate Speaker cables, Ultimate DIgital, No.1 Interconnect, a bespoke power lead to the Isol-8 block and 3 No. 752 leads and some upgraded fuses. 

I was thinking of adding one by one, but I think of cables as 1 complete loom instead of individual cables, so will do a complete swap out! A lot is riding on them as my new CEC TL5 Transport and Audio Note Dac 2.1 arrived at the weekend, and only sound "OK" with free cables! 😬 

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have bought several items from David(MCRU) without any problems. Nice guy to deal with. He’s even one of my facebook friends 😀

Reactions: TheFlash

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dave has been great, its a shame his Trust Pilot reviews aren't that great... it looks like its only the unhappy customers reviewing to vent their frustrations... anyone on here having bought and had good service should balance the scales, I know I will. 
Yes, I guess people are always far more likely to leave negative reviews. I certainly don't often take the time to leave positive reviews.

Like others I've happily bought from MCRU before - just some of the cheap Belden shielded mains cable.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've bought some Belden mains cable and a power supply for my Technics.

All orders were delivered quickly and the p/s was well worth the money IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.